Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi system without a router

Fireshow21
Aspirant

Orbi system without a router

Hello,

I just wanted to know if my orbi system would let me use internet if I do not have any router or modem already installed ?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

Re: Orbi system without a router

@Fireshow21 wrote:

So, do I need to pay an internet acces beside the orbi system or not ?

Yes, you need to have internet access of any kind (ADSL, Cable, Fiber, LTE, ...). Usually your ISP will provide you with a modem suitable for the type of used physical connectivity. This modem has an interface to be connected to Orbi to provide the internet access that will be shared with the Orbi users.

As mentioned by @st_shaw in the post above there is an Orbi (CBK40) that can replace certain types of modems so you will save space and -may be- money by not needing to have a modem and -instead- using the built-in modem in CBK40.

Namnlöst.png

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

Depends on what kind of Internet connection you have.  Orbi can operate as a router or as an access point (if you have a router already.)  It does not contain a modem, so if your connection requires a modem (e.g. DSL or cable) you will need a modem. There is an Orbi model with a built-in cable modem.

Message 2 of 8
ekhalil
Master

@st_shaw wrote:

......... There is an Orbi model with a built-in cable modem.

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/cbk40.aspx

Message 3 of 8
Fireshow21
Aspirant

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 4 of 8
ekhalil
Master

@Fireshow21 wrote:

Yes, you need to have internet access of any kind (ADSL, Cable, Fiber, LTE, ...). Usually your ISP will provide you with a modem suitable for the type of used physical connectivity. This modem has an interface to be connected to Orbi to provide the internet access that will be shared with the Orbi users.

As mentioned by @st_shaw in the post above there is an Orbi (CBK40) that can replace certain types of modems so you will save space and -may be- money by not needing to have a modem and -instead- using the built-in modem in CBK40.

Namnlöst.png

Message 5 of 8
Fireshow21
Aspirant

Okay but how is Orbi supposed to make my internet better ?

Message 6 of 8
ekhalil
Master

@Fireshow21 wrote:

Orbi is a Wifi Mesh system that will give you excellent high speed wifi coverage in large home. It's quite easy to set up and has more range and power than almost any other router.

The Orbi's dedicated wireless channels for router-to-satellite data traffic helps the system squeeze the maximum throughput for your online needs. 

Message 7 of 8
User00
Star

@Fireshow21 wrote:

If you currently have devices that connect to the Internet via an existing wireless router or access point and are having connectivity issues with those devices - then Orbi can possibly make it better by reducing the typical problems that people have with their existing wireless equipment.  However, you do have to configure the Orbi equipment and once you do that correctly - then you should see an improvement.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7