Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi to Airport express wired connection breaks orbi

staralfur428
Aspirant

Orbi to Airport express wired connection breaks orbi

I have a few airport expresses I am using for their Airplay2 function into various receivers/speakers/etc. I have them all set up to “join a wireless network”. Not to “extend” not “create”.

I also have a smattering off or I RBS50 satellites which happen to be near enough to the airports to wire them together with an Ethernet cable and their by removing them from the wireless network and giving them a dedicated channel to prevent drop outs (I live in a congested urban area and so the less devices I have to using my Wifi the better). However when I plug the Orbi satellite directly to the Ethernet input on the airport it causes my satellite to magenta out , basically it seems to be interfering.

I can’t tell if the satellite is confusing the airport express as an input device (I distinctly plug the cable into the airport input port) or what is happening.

Anyone else with Orbi RBS50 and airport express in join network mode? Anyone else be able to try to Ethernet connect them and see what happens?

Much appreciated!!
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi to Airport express wired connection breaks orbi

The Airport Expresses are probably not fully passing Orbi data traffic that the RBS need to communicate with the RBR, even ethernet connected. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

RBS work only directly connected to the back of the RBR or via nework LAN switches, non managed preferred. Some have reported the use of power line adapters seem to work ok. 

I would presume these AEs are not fully compatible with Orbi in this configuration. 

Also are the AEs supporting of 1000Mbps connection rates on there LAN ports or 100Mbps? 

Message 2 of 8
staralfur428
Aspirant

I think I must have written it incorrectly.

I’m using the RBS connected to the RBR wirelessly. It’s about 30 feet from the RBR without any walls in the way. Right now I have my AE connected to the RBS via Wifi. Connection is good, but in effort to reduce WiFi noise I am trying to connect the AE as a client via Ethernet. Connecting an Ethernet cord to the AE input port.
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

When you connect the AE using it's LAN port to the system, this would turn the AE in to a wireless AP, thus adding more noise to the system. Having the AE connect wirelessly as a client to the RBS would not add noise to the system. 

Message 4 of 8
staralfur428
Aspirant

I never thought of it that way. however, I have the AE set to “join and existing network” and thus shouldnt it not function as an access point anymore, but rather function as a client (like my computers and Apple TVs that are hardwired into the system do)?
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Correct. 

Message 6 of 8
staralfur428
Aspirant

Yes: I have it set that way, to “join existing network”
And yet instantly when I plug the RBS into The AE input it causes a magenta ring and it actually ruins the rest of the satellites too. So I’m
Failing to understand what you are saying. I have it set up in client (aka join existing network mode)

Not trying to be confrontational, I really appreciate the help
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Do not LAN connect the RBS to the AE. It's not how that works. Connect the RBS to the RBR via wireless or wired LAN cable only. 

You can connect say a PC or some other LAN wired device to the AE. Not the RBS. Won't work that way. 

@staralfur428 wrote:
Yes: I have it set that way, to “join existing network”
And yet instantly when I plug the RBS into The AE input it causes a magenta ring and it actually ruins the rest of the satellites too. So I’m
Failing to understand what you are saying. I have it set up in client (aka join existing network mode)

Not trying to be confrontational, I really appreciate the help

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7