Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi turns Magenta after some days working OK

aruit
Guide

Orbi turns Magenta after some days working OK

I have the Orbi system for two weeks and they are working well most of the time.

After installation the Orbi Satellite turned Blue and was working OK for several days.

But suddenly I found the Orbi Satellite turned Magenta.

So I restarted (Power-Off & Power-On) the Orbi Satellite and it turned Blue again.

Again the Satellite was working well for several days, but after a few days it was Magenta again.

Again after restarting the Satellite turned Blue again.

The Orbi Router & Satellite were not moved

So what is causing that a stable connection for days between the Router & Satellite suddenly is broken and after restarting stable again for days?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
aruit
Guide

Hello Darren,

My Netgear Orbi is now running without the solid Magenta light problem, so this problem is really solved with firmware 1.4.0.34.

Thank you for the support,

Anton

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 21

All Replies

hi

possible other wifi interference is causing the orbi to drop , does it not reconnect at all once it goes magenta ?

Message 2 of 21
aruit
Guide

Yes, it reconnects after it goes magenta, so the satellite is functioning OK, but the light stays burning magenta for hours/days.

To switch off the magenta light I have restarted the satellite.

Still some questions:

- How can I find out which other wifi system interference with the connection between the router and the satellite?

- Why is the magenta light not turned off, as soon as the satellite has reconnected to the router?

- How can I turn off the magenta light easy without restarting the satellite?

Message 3 of 21
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello aruit 

You may want to move the satellite closer as it could be dropping out because its on the edge of signal but it should shut off after the reconnect but if not the only way to do it is how you are with the reset.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 21
aruit
Guide

No, that is no option and I think also not the solution.

The distance between the Router and the Satellite is about 10 meter.

Everytime after restarting the Satellite turns solid blue and works OK for several days.

Also when the Satellite after some days turns magenta it reconnects to the Router and the internet connection is stable again.

But the magenta light stays burning to indicate that an connection problem has occured.

And after restarting the Satellite it turns solid blue again and works again for several days.

Message 5 of 21
aruit
Guide

My questions are still not answered:

- How can I find out which other wifi system interference with the connection between the router and the satellite?

- Why is the magenta light not turned off, as soon as the satellite has reconnected to the router?

- How can I turn off the magenta light easy without restarting the satellite?

Message 6 of 21
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello aruit

If you have a android phone you can download out app Netgear wifi analytics this will let you see all the wifi in the area and what channels that it is on. There are other apps out there that can do this as well. And the light should turn off soon as it reconnects so there is a issue with that.

DarrenM

Message 7 of 21
aruit
Guide

Hello DarrenM,

I have the Netgear Genie app with wifi analytics and also Wifi Analyzer app on my android phone.

Currently the light of the Satellite is off and I see that the Orbi is using channel 13 (with no other wifi signal on this channel) and channel 36 (also with no other wifi signal on this channel).

I do not know when exactly the problem occurs, but I will do the test again, when the light is burning magenta.

How and what should I log for several days, so that we can see what happens before the magenta light is switched on?

You mentioned that the magenta light should turn off as soon as it reconnects again.

I can tell you that my system is not doing that.

When the magenta lght is burning, even when the connection is OK again, the magenta light stays burning.

Hopefully this will be solved with a new firmware update.

I am currently using firmware V1.4.0.18

Kind regards,

Anton

Message 8 of 21

ch 12 and 13 can be problematic , suggest if you have 2.4 gig on auto change it to ether ch 1 6 or 11 depending on which ever is quitest

in your case though try factory resetting and redo setup as this may fix the light bug

Message 9 of 21
caseyse
Tutor

Having the same issue and have spoken to support with no resolution.  I'm only using Orbi for its backhaul/bridge at a distance of 15 ft.  Transfer speed is 480 Mbps. Replaces 2 R7000 bridged routers that provided 700 Mbps at same locations.  Have had to reboot the bridged R7000 weekly for 3 years, so happy to retire them.

If you identify the root cause and/or solution, please post.

Message 10 of 21
aruit
Guide

I still do not know what is causing the Orbi Satellite to turn Magenta, because it is not on a fixed moment .

Last week it did not happen for a whole week, but yesterday it happened again.

So I have resetted the Orbi Satellite and today it happened again.

Sometimes it happens every day.

Most of the times it happens only after several days.

And sometimes it happens after a whole week.

Every time the Magenta light stays burning after it has happened, also after the connection is back again and the Satellite is functioning OK.

I have never seen it actual happen, but I only know when I see the Orbi Satellite burning Magenta that it has happened during the last period I have looked.

It would be easier if it is possible to examen a log of the Orbi system to find out at what moment the connection drops and at what moment the connection is back again.

Message 11 of 21
rhester72
Virtuoso

Interestingly, I had my Orbi router (in AP mode) go magenta a few days ago after being up for weeks without issue.  It stayed that way for about 3 days straight, though Internet connectivity was fine and continued as normal.  The only obvious sign of an issue (other than the magenta indicator) was the inability to ping or communicate directly with the router at all, so I couldn't examine the log to see what happened.

Power-cycled the router this morning and the magenta went out and it's pingable again.  Weird.

Rodney

Message 12 of 21
aruit
Guide

Yes Rodney, that looks the same issue as what I am having and which repeats days after days after resetting the Satellite.

Message 13 of 21
rhester72
Virtuoso

Were you able to ping (or interrogate via web interface) the satellite while it was in the "hung magenta" state?

Rodney

Message 14 of 21
bsholbrook
Apprentice

Same solid magenta on satelite, in this case the system ran for 10+ days and then the issue came up.

Message 15 of 21
aruit
Guide

Hello Darren,

My Netgear Orbi is now running without the solid Magenta light problem, so this problem is really solved with firmware 1.4.0.34.

Thank you for the support,

Anton

Message 16 of 21
rhester72
Virtuoso

Just happened again on my router after 22 days of uptime in AP mode.

Same symptoms - router was pingable (and web UI was usable) over IPv6, but the IPv4 LAN interface was logically dead - no ping response and claimed it couldn't reach the Internet for updates, despite the web UI status saying "Internet: GOOD".  Logs show an Internet 'disconnect' just after midnight, yet router will continue to route Internet traffic without issue.  I was able to reboot via web UI and all was well after.

I've now enabled debug logging at boot.  This is definitely a bug related to uptime, likely overflowing a 32-bit int somewhere.  (In fairness, even Cisco enterprise-class devices have had similar bugs in the past.)

Rodney

Message 17 of 21
Butch1326
Star

+1.  Ran fine for a couple of weeks on 1.4.0.34 then one evening when a came home I saw the Magenta light on the Router.  All devices were pingable and accessible.  I restarted the router and everything has been fine for the last couple of days.

Message 18 of 21
noonway
Guide

Ditto... Magenta light on the router as AP after at least a week of full uptime.  1.4.0.34 is *not* the solution for this.  However, unlike the other posters, I was not able to access the router via IPv4 address.  I have the IP address for the RBR50 reserved from my Linksys EA9200.  I did not attempt IPv6 address like Rodney recommended but will try that next time it happens.

Message 19 of 21
aruit
Guide

I was only looking at the Satellite, because that was my problem, and the light of the Satellite did not burn Magenta for several week.

But you report triggered me to look at the Router and I found the light of the Router burning Magenta.

In Netgear Genie I could not find the IP address of the Router, but I found the IP Address of the Satellite and I could ping to the Satellite.

With Wifi Analyzer I saw that both the Router and the Satellite where sending wifi signal and by walking from Router to the Satellite it was switching from signal.

The wifi of both are working, but still the Router is burning Magenta.

So the firmware update solved the Satellite to burning solid Magenta, but did not solve the Router to burning solid Magenta.

Message 20 of 21
noonway
Guide

That is the exact behavior I am experiencing as well. Should be recreatable on AP mode, Netgear. Please advise if this is a known issue?
Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7