Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi under the sofa!

Biigdaddio
Aspirant

Orbi under the sofa!

Sadly in my old home with lathe and plaster and thick timber, the best place to put my base unit is under the sofa. I gave it a try and it seemed to work fine without getting too hot, but I'm a little concerned... There is air space under the sofa ... I had to lay it down rather than stand it up but it didn't seem to impact anything more than having it in other locations that are less central and put more walls between the router and the satellites 

Any thoughts? It doesn't seem to run hot to begin with and didn't seem any warmer than it was sitting on a shelf. 

Would you worry? 

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi under the sofa!

Under a sofa is a "new one" for me.  Some small things to consider:

• Orbi is definitely designed to stand vertically.  The circuit board is oriented so that cool air will enter at the bottom and hot air will exit at the top.  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Understanding-Orbi-Radio-Fronthaul-Backhaul/m-p/1671092 
  • The omni-directional antennas create a horizontal circle (actually a torus - torroid?) so a good portion of the signal is radiating in directions that are not particularly useful.
  • It's a bit difficult to see the "ring light" if the unit is under furniture.

However, as long as you get the service you want, I'd say, "go for it."

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7