Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi version 2.3.5.30 issues

Aaron2019
Aspirant

Orbi version 2.3.5.30 issues

Hello, iv had the orbi a year.. It had issues with some hardware problem so replaced about 2 months ago. Was running smooth till this firmware. It's causing spastic 900+ ping spikes every 30 sec - 2 Min. It's driving me up the wall and I'm ready to return the product under defective and never use it again. Especially since tech support is impossible to reach without going through ungodly methods.
Iv tried countless times to revert the firmware but it just auto updates.. Iv even tried the debug method of removing auto update but.. The stupid thing still does it while I'm in the debug section.

Any solutions available or is netgear able to just let me return this and be done with it? It's unusable in its current state.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
ekhalil
Master

2.3.5.30 has couple of issues but there are workarounds that you can use. Please check this post: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-Firmware-2-3-5-30/m-p/1780309/highlight/true#M66953

Please tell us more about your setup and the issues you see so we can help you further.

Message 2 of 12
Aaron2019
Aspirant

Sadly nothing In the thread solves my specific issues.

I'll give the store a call tomorrow and discuss returning and refunding the product I think as netgear have no live tech support available to assist their customers. It's a shame cus it was a good product that they broke with firmware update.
Message 3 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Manual or auto FW update?

Message 4 of 12
Aaron2019
Aspirant

It was manual.

I managed to get it, pulled the damn net out of orbi. Downgraded manually then went into debug mode via putty and turned off all auto update options.

Trialling it now so report back in a day or two if problem gone with old version.
Message 5 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Aaron2019 wrote:
It was manual.

OK...so the lesson learned is 'stop doing manual' FW updates.

Only you need to know why you did it.

Message 6 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@Retired_Member wrote:

I don't think there is a difference if you do manual or auto update here.

2.3.5.30 has few issues, but I think that there are workarounds for every single issue. The software has also fixes for many other issues so -with some extra troubleshooting effort- this software can turn your Orbi into a stable robust wifi mesh network.

I hope that Netgear will soon fix the few issues in 2.5.5.30 so that no workarounds will be needed.

Message 7 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@ekhalil wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

I don't think there is a difference if you do manual or auto update here.

Perhaps....but then the real question is WHY do a update IF your network is working?  Talk to NG as to why they stopped pushing most FW updates.

Message 8 of 12
Aaron2019
Aspirant

What the hell u guys on about.. Manual is only option to downgrade, it auto upgrades on its own. It's the problem. Net gear need to sort their **bleep** and not release bugged crap firmware updates or atleast disable the feature as an option. Atm u need to use putty in debug mode to disable auto update.. Which is retarded.

So the moral of the story is net gear can't deliver a good firmware and forces us all to update to broken ones.
Message 9 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Aaron2019 wrote:
.. Manual is only option to downgrade, 

Not true....oh and you just told us YOU (as in manual) did the update.  Enjoy your Orbi.

Message 10 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@Retired_Member wrote:

..........Talk to NG as to why they stopped pushing most FW updates.

I think that Netgear stopped pushing FW updates because they realised that they are introducing new faults with most of the new updates.

I really hope that Netgear is working on improving their system and regression testing to avoid this in future updates.

That said, I still think that with every new Orbi software I see improvements in the Orbi functionality. I think that I have a vey good system now with 2.3.5.30.

Message 11 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@ekhalil wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

..........Talk to NG as to why they stopped pushing most FW updates.

I think that Netgear stopped pushing FW updates because they realised that they are introducing new faults with most of the new updates.

I really hope that Netgear is working on improving their system and regression testing to avoid this in future updates.

That said, I still think that with every new Orbi software I see improvements in the Orbi functionality. I think that I have a vey good system now with 2.3.5.30.

NG stopped pushing FW updates because folks were whining and most of the updates were minor which most people did not need.  From what I understand major changes will be will be pushed (auto).  The bottom line is IF your network works, leave it alone.  

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7