Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi voice RBS40V satellite not pairing only pulsing white

LargeMargSentMe
Initiate

Orbi voice RBS40V satellite not pairing only pulsing white

Just purchased the Orbi Voice RBS40V direct from Netgear to add to my existing system of an Orbi RBR50 Router (firmware V2.3.5.30) and RBS50 satellite (firmware V2.5.1.8). Existing system works fine just want to extend coverage further.

Followed directions to change into Orbi mode. After it pulses blue to white and release the sync button it will only pulse white and not go to solid white for pairing. I have tried pairing even in the pulsing white mode. Is it possible that a firmware upgrade will resolve or is this defective and need to be returned? Can a firmware upgrade be applied directly to the Orbi Satellite and not through the router? If so how?

Model: RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi voice RBS40V satellite not pairing only pulsing white

Try starting fresh. 

Factory reset the orbi voice. Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while powered on.

Factory reset it should be in orbi mode (usually). Make sure after the reset it boots up in orbi mode.

If it is, give it a few minutes to fully boot. It should only be flashing white while its switching modes.

Then try the setup using the browser method (not the app). I've had much better luck setting up via the browser. 

Message 2 of 7
dpeagle
Aspirant

if you first atttempted to switch the 40v to orbi mode and it is not responding  you will need to update the 40v firmware while connected directly to your router via ethernet. if you contact netgear support they will walk you through the process of downloading the correct firmware and installing. the problem is the 40v is not in orbi mode by default and it obviously isn't switching over.

Message 3 of 7
HIToy808
Aspirant

I’m having the same problem. I also tried to reset, but it goes magenta to orange for a while then flashes blue and white, then it goes to flashing white which does not go solid. I’ve tried a few times, resetting my modem and Orbi router. If it does connect it tells me to go to Nighthawk. I don’t want nighthawk, I want the Orbi set up. Why is it so hard? And why isn’t there any good videos to show set up for Orbi voice add on satellite? If there’s this issue, why not fix? Please help. It’s been really frustrating. Thanks.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 4 of 7
LargeMargSentMe
Initiate

I was not able to resolve through the forum or support so I returned it for a refund. I think their is a firmware issue. I replaced it with TP-Link Deco X60 WiFi 6 AX3000 Whole-Home Mesh Wi-Fi System, 3-Pack which has worked well for me.
Message 5 of 7
nd_thai
Aspirant

I have the same problem that only getting the Pulsing White- not the Solid White while try to connect to the Orbi Router with the Orbi Mode.
Multiple resettings the unit still failed.
However, I can connect the device to the Router with the Range Extender Mode.  But it was not the reason to buy the Orbi Voice.

Cannot get help from Netgear. 
If you can give an advice, I appreciate very much.

Model: RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 6 of 7
Mstrbig
Master

You must be missing something in your setup. The method used is factory reset the RBS40V, Make sure you are in Orbi mode, following the quick guide instructions. Then load your Orbi app and add satellite, go through the install process, following the app (it takes time). Once the RBS40V is connected to your system, click on the RBS40V icon in the app, if it doesn't take you there and follow the rest of the instructions for setting up Amazon and your preferred services. The app also allows you to configure tone settings and see what's connected to it.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7