Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi vs Amplifi HD vs Eero 2nd Gen - Has anyone actually tried these to compare (not reviews onl

worldofshayan
Apprentice

Orbi vs Amplifi HD vs Eero 2nd Gen - Has anyone actually tried these to compare (not reviews online)

Orbi vs Amplifi HD vs Eero 2nd Gen - Has anyone actually tried these to compare (not reviews online). I've tried the VELOP (although now with the latest firmware it maybe much better), the Google Wifi and the Orbi. Google Wifi was useless. The base router was amazing but then for the bedrooms, the wifi dropped by 50%!!! Velop initially when I got it last year was so problematic to set up though I believe with the latest firmware its better? Orbi has dug my head in!!! Constant network drops, low wifi signal etc. The only thing I think to try now is the Amplifi HD or Eero PRO second generation. I'm tilting to the EERO. What do you say? 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
worldofshayan
Apprentice

Re: Orbi vs Amplifi HD vs Eero 2nd Gen - Has anyone actually tried these to compare (not reviews onl

Thank you for your feedback. Maybe I should stick with the orbi as overall for me yes SPEED is important as whats the point of having a 200mbps connection, especially in India and spending an arm and a leg for the same. But I don't understand why my ETHERNET throughput to orbi is full capacity and my wifi is like only 50-75% at best. Any ideas?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9

All Replies
Miles267
Apprentice

Have used both Netgear Orbi and Eero Pro Gen2.  Must say that the raw speed/throughput of Orbi is far superior to Eero.  Though the aesthetics of Eero are undoubtedly "better" than Orbi.  With Eero, didn't care for the lack of ethernet ports or the slower speeds or that it must be completely administered from the mobile app.  But the layout of their UI and configuration menus were quite intuitive and well thought out.  Additionally found Eero's release schedule and published updates/fixes to be much more structured and well-communicated.

At end of the day, I was most interested in coverage/range and speed in my home environment.  Orbi was hands-down better than Eero in my environment.

Message 2 of 9
worldofshayan
Apprentice

Thank you for your feedback. Maybe I should stick with the orbi as overall for me yes SPEED is important as whats the point of having a 200mbps connection, especially in India and spending an arm and a leg for the same. But I don't understand why my ETHERNET throughput to orbi is full capacity and my wifi is like only 50-75% at best. Any ideas?

Message 3 of 9
MrX911
Apprentice

Had Orbi for a while now and loved it until firmware 2 and all I got was constant issues. To the extent that it drove me to look for something else.

Tried Google - Seemed OK at first but couldn't cope when all the family wanted to surf at the same time, (we have around 60 clients) 

Then tried Amplifi and really loved it. Loosk cool too! Not quite as fast as the orbi and range actually seemed a bit further too but above all it was rock solid connection.  Was about to pack the Orbi away but then they relased beta firmware 2.1.2.10 and I thought I would give it one more try.

Two weeks solid and no more dropped connections. Nothing touches the Orbi for speed - when it works! The latest beta seems to have fixed things, at least for me and for now.

Message 4 of 9
worldofshayan
Apprentice

Thank you. I'm using the ORBI with the latest beta firmware 2.1.2.10 and yes the connection is better but as stated before, when I do a speed test via the Orbi app I'm getting 320mps down and 190mbps up but on wifi I'm getting barely 130mbps down and 48mbps up. Something is definitely weird going on. Any ideas???

And my place is not even that BIG! 

Either I get the Amplifi HD or the EERO Pro. This Orbi unit is driving me NUTS!!!

Message 5 of 9
brenth
Star

I've been reading a lot about real-world wifi speeds since getting my Orbi kit.  I was expecting more throughput than wifi is apparently actually able to deliver.

This was very helpful/informative...

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/32287-how-much-throughput-can-you-really-...

Also this...

https://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-is-the-actual-real-life-speed-of-wireless-374

Message 6 of 9
worldofshayan
Apprentice

I agree. But before all these firmware updates I was getting FULL THROUGHPUT on wifi!!! That's the issue....now it's so topsy turvy I don't know what to do. I think I've reset my router like 50 times!!!! This is not worth the cost. So either VELOP, AMplifi HD or EERO PRO 2nd Gen. Which one would you go for - these have to be more stable than the Orbi!

Message 7 of 9
brenth
Star

Don't have any experience with any of those others to compare.  If you're using wifi backhaul and if I understand those other systems, all will be at a disadvantage to Orbi out of the box because of lower backhaul performance.

One thing that might be worth trying (if you haven't already) would be to change the SSID to something new and connect only your highest class AC device to see what kind of throughput you get in best case scenario with no other devices connected.

Message 8 of 9
worldofshayan
Apprentice

Yes good idea. Right now I’ve done a NVRAM reset, restored to factory settings, now uploading new beta firmware and then will test. Hopefully it should all be okay. Mother of god has this been a troublesome journey!
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7