Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi vs BT FTTP

BrianCohen
Aspirant

Orbi vs BT FTTP

I have the BT Youview box connected via ethernet to my Satelite Orbi unit. The router unit is connected directly to the FTTP modem.

Everything seems to work fine until I try to watch any of the internet based channels on the youview box. They will load up and work perfectly, even the 4K channels, but after 4 mins I get an error and I have to change channels and then change back to the same channel to continue watching.

Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. I can't have cables connecting from the router to the bt youview box but the satellite and the router are about 20ft away from each other and the box is wired into the satellite. 

I have an LG Oled C8 tv and a PS4 connected wirelessly to the Orbi setup and have no issues with those. 

Thanks in advance.

Router & Satellite Firmware Version V2.3.5.30

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
BrianCohen
Aspirant

Re: Orbi vs BT FTTP

Thanks for the replies.

The IGMP option was turned on to British Telecom and V3.

I haven't tried the telnet stuff to get the bcakhaul data yet, but I may well do in the future. 

Out of frustration yesterday I rang BT yet again and went through all the same routines I have to go through every time. Long nd short of it, they said if I plug the homehub in and have the router set up as an AP instead of a router, it will work. I'm not happy about it but I play along.

Re-assign the orbi router as an AP, plug the BT Homehub into the Orbi and the BTFTTP Modem and restart everything. 

Humble pie time, it works a treat. No issues whatsoever, I'm even seeing vast improvements on latency from the games consoles on the network. I don't know the science of why this is so, and I'm fairly certain it shouldn't require the homehub to be in the loop, but here we are, it works. 

Thanks for the advice and the replies.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

What is the error message you get?

You have probably already looked through the information at https://support.youview.com/ correct?

Message 2 of 6
BrianCohen
Aspirant

Error code that comes up is IPC6023.

I have checked a few times on the BT support pages but not the YouView ones, I'll look now, thanks.

As I said in the original post, it gives me the error, which states an issue with connection between box and router and to restart the router. If I restart the router, I still get the same error after 4mins or so. If I simply change to a different channel and then back I can watch again for the same ammount of time before I get the error displayed.

EDIT: So just looking on the YouView support page you linked and it states an issue with internet speed. I'm on a FTTP connection which gives 300mbps down and 50mbps up. When I just checked on fast.com I got 300 and 45 respectively.

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Have enabled the IGMP Multicast BT support on the Orbi router?

4K Multicast (for live TV) is certainly challenging for a WiFi Mesh system.

The IPC 6023 error usually indicatesa problem with the speed of the connection. This does (of course) incoude the in-house network - Mesh here. Temporarily try the TV box direct on the Orbi router LAN port.

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Might be worthwhile to learn the backhaul bandwidth between router and satellite.

A brief search for "4K video bandwidth" turned up a recommendation for at least 15MB and maybe 25MB.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/2017/12/10/youre-buying-4-k-tv-how-much-internet-bandw... 

If you are comfortable with using telnet, you can go to the Orbi debug page:  http://<ip of Orbi>/debug.htm and "Enable Telnet"

Then, open a telnet client and connect to <ip of Orbi> and enter this command:

satelliteinfo  wifi

Here's the report from my Orbi:

{

"mac address" : "A0:04:60:0D:96:FA",
"hop" : "1",
"bridge mac" : "A0:04:60:0D:96:FA",
"backhaul conntype" : "5GHz",
"backhaul rssi" : "-67",
"backhaul macaddress" : "A0:04:60:0D:96:FD",
"backhaul phytxrate" : "877",
"backhaul phyrxrate" : "975",
"backhaul parentmac" : "A0:04:60:1C:02:39"
}

What does your Orbi show?

Message 5 of 6
BrianCohen
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies.

The IGMP option was turned on to British Telecom and V3.

I haven't tried the telnet stuff to get the bcakhaul data yet, but I may well do in the future. 

Out of frustration yesterday I rang BT yet again and went through all the same routines I have to go through every time. Long nd short of it, they said if I plug the homehub in and have the router set up as an AP instead of a router, it will work. I'm not happy about it but I play along.

Re-assign the orbi router as an AP, plug the BT Homehub into the Orbi and the BTFTTP Modem and restart everything. 

Humble pie time, it works a treat. No issues whatsoever, I'm even seeing vast improvements on latency from the games consoles on the network. I don't know the science of why this is so, and I'm fairly certain it shouldn't require the homehub to be in the loop, but here we are, it works. 

Thanks for the advice and the replies.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7