Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi w/ AT&T Fiber

BigMacTM
Aspirant

Re: Orbi w/ AT&T Fiber

Glad to hear you are pleased with the switch to Fiber. What internet speeds are you pulling on your WiFi with the Orbi setup? I just learned about MoCA adapters this week so I’m figuring it out as well. For the AT&T install setup - do they use any coaxial cable at all? Did they use coaxial cable to hookup the AT&T modem to the wall? Or what exactly is connected from your wall to the modem to source the internet through?
Message 51 of 61
Southpaw32
Guide

I'm guessing you are in STL?

I switched from Charter to ATT Fiber 1000/1000 over a year ago.

No coax, it's Fiber up to the ONT then Cat6 to the modem/router they give you. 

I have the crappier older Pace 5268AC with passthru.

I just recently got my Orbi, and overall it works well. I'm still ironing out a few hiccups, but happy overall with the Orbi.

Overall the Fiber to Orbi setup with Passthru is good, and I hear it is better if you get the newer modem/router. 

Message 52 of 61
BigMacTM
Aspirant

Used to live in STL.  Wasn't thinking about that when I made the username though haha.

Ok thanks for explaining the setup.  I'll have to look into it further whether or not MoCA is an option using Fiber internet.  What speeds are you pulling through your Orbi?  I know not to expect anywhere near 1000mbps through WiFi, but I'd feel better using the Orbi rather than whatever built-in WiFi the AT&T modem/router may have (assuming it would be weak).

Message 53 of 61
realisticmccoy
Initiate

My Orbi set up worked fine on Xfinity.  Since I've switched to ATT Fiber, a lot of urls ask me to log in.
I can't even see the Netflix.com main page without it prompting me to log in.
The ATT side has an Arris BGW210-700 and I've turned off its wifi and switched it into passthrough mode
with the RBR50's MAC address as the passthrough target.
I'm at a loss for why some urls just have to stop and ask for a router login.
If I switch my phone over to the cell network, it gets into the same urls just fine, but not on the wireless.
The only change was he Xfinity+Netgear cable modem to ATT+Arris switch.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 54 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

I would remove the IP pass thru the for RBR, then configure AP mode on the RBR. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@realisticmccoy wrote:

My Orbi set up worked fine on Xfinity.  Since I've switched to ATT Fiber, a lot of urls ask me to log in.
I can't even see the Netflix.com main page without it prompting me to log in.
The ATT side has an Arris BGW210-700 and I've turned off its wifi and switched it into passthrough mode
with the RBR50's MAC address as the passthrough target.
I'm at a loss for why some urls just have to stop and ask for a router login.
If I switch my phone over to the cell network, it gets into the same urls just fine, but not on the wireless.
The only change was he Xfinity+Netgear cable modem to ATT+Arris switch.

Message 55 of 61
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Att doesn’t allow their gateways’ router section to be bypassed, so little if anything to be gained by running two sequential routers.
FWIW, I have att internet and that same gateway with internal WiFi disabled and the Orbi in AP mode.
Message 56 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 57 of 61
realisticmccoy
Initiate

Putting my Orbi in AP (Access Point) mode and turning off the WIFI on the Arris worked a charm. No more problems.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 58 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it worked. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@realisticmccoy wrote:

Putting my Orbi in AP (Access Point) mode and turning off the WIFI on the Arris worked a charm. No more problems.

Message 59 of 61
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Some have tired this with ATT gateways:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Orbi-AX-6000-and-AT-amp-T-fiber-gateway-issue/m-p/1890125/h...

Yes, and if one is interested in this sort of thing, I suggest using dslreports as a more authoritative resource.   
For future readers, att has released an all in one ONT/RG combo box where it's unlikely a bypass will be successful.   

Message 60 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know,. 

For some users who want to try this, can always ask the other users of there experiences as well linked in that thread. 

Enjoy. 

Message 61 of 61
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 60 replies
  • 14 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7