Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi w/Ring Stick Up Camera (battery)

billycrystal
Initiate

Orbi w/Ring Stick Up Camera (battery)

Orbi RBR50 & RBS50 V2.2.1.210

Security WPA2-PSK [AES]

Ring iOS App v5.9.2

AT&T w/WiFi Assist turn off

I have a Ring Pro doorbell on the network with easy install and no operational issues. I'm attempting to add a few of the recently released Ring Stick Up Cam Battery cameras to the exterior of the home.  I'm working with Ring support to help find a way to get the cameras online and recognized, but no luck so far.  I have multiple cameras, all with same setup issues.

The cameras are go through the normal set up proceedure, are recognized by the app, ask to connect to the home network, then fail after timing out.  Not sure if Ring issue, Orbi issue, or configuration issue.  Regardless, it seems more like a user issue and I'm useless as my own IT support.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
psmedley
Tutor

I had problems connecting my Ring Spotlight cam. Apparently the Ring only supports Channels 1 through 11; whereas the Orbi supports Channels 1 through 13.

I changed the Orbi 2.4 from 'Auto' channel to a hard coded channel and voila the Ring could connect.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

A little clean up first:

Reboot Orbi, wait for good reboot and your satellite to successfuly reestablish communication with the router, just so you won't have other issues later.

On Orbi web interface, go to Advanced>Security>Access control make sure access control is on and "Allow all new devices to connect" is enabled.

If you have not already, do a hard reset on all your stick up cams to make them forget everything so far (hold reset button for 15 seconds ... but you probably already have done that a few times, I would imagine). Takes a minute of process then they are ready for the setup again. Make sure you are close to the router with the cameras when you get to the network hook up part of the setup. To avoid any variables or potential other unknown problems, use the router not the satellite.

If you get a good hook up, test a camera near the satellite and look on the Orbi web interface on attached interface to make sure your cameras will perform remote from the router and hook to the satellite.

Message 2 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

This is mostly a Iot Mfr issue. Do you have a mobile device that has 5ghz support? If so, it's the handling of the Ring setup process that expects the mobile setup device to be connected to the 2.4Ghz radio rather then the 5Ghz radio. The issue is that with MESH systems, there is only 1 SSID which automatically handles how devices get connected. If a mobile device supports 5Ghz, which most nowdays do, it will connect to the 5Ghz radio. Some of the new IoT devices mainly support 2.4Ghz only. Why the Mfr of these IoT devices can't support or help handle the installation with the setup mobile device being on the 5Ghz radio along with the persective IoT device only supporting 2.4Ghz is unknown. You would think the Mfr would have this in mind since 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz radios on MESH are on the same network on the LAN side. 

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

You can try setting the power out put of the 5Ghz radio on Orbi router to 25% and see if your mobile device will connect to the 2.4Ghz radio. You'll need to be far away from the base router as possible with the setup device so that it will pick the 2.4Ghz radio over the 5Ghz radio. Turn Off the wireless temporarily then back on on the mobile phone. 

Some others experiences:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649457...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Need-some-help-with-Orbi-and-Ring-Doorbell-2/m-p/1671059/highl...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Ring-Doorbell-2-and-Orbi/m-p/1685149/highlight/true#M49058

Message 3 of 12
dan801
Apprentice

It always seems to come back to the stupid one SsID being enforced by Netgear. I had the same issue. None of my Ring devices connected (amongst other Iot devices like harmony hub) but seperating the SSID into 2ghz and 5ghz worked.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Any chance you happen to have a prior wifi router that doesn't have smart connect? You could set up the old router for same SSID and PW the Orbi is using. Turn OFF the orbi while you do this. Set up the device on the 2.4Ghz radio of the old router. When it's setup, Turn Off the device and old router. Power On the Orbi. Power On the device. It should connect if you used same SSID and PW between the old router and Orbi. 

Its not enforcing, it's the feature of Smart Connect. Been around for a while now. Just how it works and how NG implements it. 

Message 5 of 12
dmorales125
Aspirant

@billycrystal wrote:

Security WPA2-PSK [AES]

Ring iOS App v5.9.2

I have a Ring Pro doorbell on the network with easy install and no operational issues. I'm attempting to add a few of the recently released Ring Stick Up Cam Battery cameras to the exterior of the home.  I'm working with Ring support to help find a way to get the cameras online and recognized, but no luck so far.  I have multiple cameras, all with same setup issues.

The cameras are go through the normal set up proceedure, are recognized by the app, ask to connect to the home network, then fail after timing out.  Not sure if Ring issue, Orbi issue, or configuration issue.  Regardless, it seems more like a user issue and I'm useless as my own IT support.

@billycrystal wrote:

Security WPA2-PSK [AES]

Ring iOS App v5.9.2

It isn't you, trust me. I have the Floodlight Cam and Spotlight Cam which I purchased with Stick Up Cam and the Stick Up Cam does not play nice with the satellite. The wireless card on these units are very week as I have my router in my closet and both Spotlight and Floodlight Cams connect with no issues at all. I since returned the Stick Up Cam and installed indoors disabling the motion light and works flawlessly. 

Message 6 of 12
billycrystal
Initiate

I found a video which helped me telnet into the Orbi and carve out the 2.4 vs. 5GHz, then connected my iPhone and the cameras to the 2.4GHz network.  Even with that, no luck.  Decided the effort wasn't worth it and returned all the cameras.  The integrity and performacne of my network is a higher priority.  I'll find another camera solution.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Hope you find a better solution. 

I use D-Link DCS series cameras. 

@billycrystal wrote:

I found a video which helped me telnet into the Orbi and carve out the 2.4 vs. 5GHz, then connected my iPhone and the cameras to the 2.4GHz network.  Even with that, no luck.  Decided the effort wasn't worth it and returned all the cameras.  The integrity and performacne of my network is a higher priority.  I'll find another camera solution.

Message 8 of 12
BigDGlad
Aspirant

Even after creating 2.4G and 5G the Ring would not connect to the 2.4? What channel were you using?
Message 9 of 12
DougB628
Apprentice

You're using D-Link DCS cameras? Which model(s)? I have 7 DCS-2630L's, and after going back to just one SSID for both 2.4 and 5GHz networks, I'm back to spurious connecton drops with my cameras. I went to split SSID's trying to resolve that problem, but now that I've swtiched back, my camera problems are back.

Message 10 of 12
psmedley
Tutor

I had problems connecting my Ring Spotlight cam. Apparently the Ring only supports Channels 1 through 11; whereas the Orbi supports Channels 1 through 13.

I changed the Orbi 2.4 from 'Auto' channel to a hard coded channel and voila the Ring could connect.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Enjoy.Smiley Wink

@psmedley wrote:

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7