Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi wifi dropouts

mickgibs
Initiate

Orbi wifi dropouts

Hi folks,

I promise I've searched the forum before posting this, as I know it's similar to other posts, but I couldn't find anything that would help.

I've had the orbi RBK50 system for about a week and we've lost wifi connection a couple of times. The first time a recycling of both the base unit and satellite fixed it and the second time just a recycling of the satellite seemed to do the job.

In my case all the wireless devices are actually still connected to Orbi but the internet doesn't work.

It updated the firmware after I got it so I'm sure I'm on the latest.

Anyone know what's going on, or what the proper fix is?

This is a premium product, why would this be happening and plaguing so many customers?

Regards

Mick

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi wifi dropouts

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 6
mickgibs
Initiate

Are you serious?

It's going to take my whole afternoon to troubleshoot that?

Jesus Christ.

Perhaps I'm better off raising a support case with Netgear directly?

Regards

Mick

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

@FURRYe38 has went through the basic troubleshooting for the Orbi. If you've searched the forums, you'd have read this several times. Its 101 for making sure the orbi is setup and not having interference issues.

Its surprising how many issues can affect wireless network performance and whats needed to optimize it. It was much simpler when wireless first came out and there wasn't as many devices broadcasting on it. In the current generation, you need to do some basic troubleshooting before assuming a device is bad. 

Message 4 of 6

@mickgibs wrote:

You will probably get the same advice.

As @plemans confirms, these are standard troubleshooting steps.

There is support for the Orbi WiFi System, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> Orbi RBK50 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support <<<<

Bedtime reading?

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

NG support will have you do the same thing. 

These are tried and tested troubleshooting steps. I understand your frustration and the system should work, however when it comes to wifi, there are MANY variables to wifi and causes of wifi not working well. There is NO one fix all for this. Nature of the beast. Some of us have been doing this for a while. Smiley Frustrated

Please give feedback to the questions presented as this will help us here in the forum get a better idea of what is going on and what you have. Try some of the suggestions. You may find someting that helps. Smiley Happy

@mickgibs wrote:

Are you serious?

It's going to take my whole afternoon to troubleshoot that?

Jesus Christ.

Regards

Mick

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7