Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi wifi is half the supposed insternet speed

AC16
Follower

Orbi wifi is half the supposed insternet speed

hi guys, I recently upped my xfinity internet from 175 to 600 mbps. My modem is Motorola mb8600 (replacing arris sb6141 after upgraded plan) and router is RBR50. Speed test through orbi app is showing 600+ but when it comes to ookla speed test, I only get 250-300. WiFi speed are pretty consistent around the house at that speed. Orbi firmware V2.7.0.70. Just wondering why the WiFi speed is half of the supposed internet speed and is it normal?  Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi wifi is half the supposed insternet speed

Depending upon your device your speed testing with, most wireless devices may max out at around 400mpbs. Based on designed and support of the device. 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Other factors are noise around the Orbi system, configuration and ISP modem as well.

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What are your wired speed results with a wired PC connected to the RBR? 

Do you have Armor or Cicle enabled?

Has a full power OFF of the Orbi and ISP Modem for 1 minuted then back on been performed since last FW update? 

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 2 of 3
Mstrbig
Master

Re: Orbi wifi is half the supposed insternet speed

@AC16 wrote:

hi guys, I recently upped my xfinity internet from 175 to 600 mbps. My modem is Motorola mb8600 (replacing arris sb6141 after upgraded plan) and router is RBR50. Speed test through orbi app is showing 600+ but when it comes to ookla speed test, I only get 250-300. WiFi speed are pretty consistent around the house at that speed. Orbi firmware V2.7.0.70. Just wondering why the WiFi speed is half of the supposed internet speed and is it normal?  Thanks

Ookla is going to give different results depending on what server you connect to. Try your ISP speed test. They, even though they may use Ookla, will usually give you a more accurate reading, as the ISP will have a designated server picked.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7