Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi wifi system details

elementoulis
Aspirant

Orbi wifi system details

Hi,

I am looking to join the Orbi family. However I get really frustrated and confused with how products are laid out in the website. Can someone explain the logic behind the naming convention and is there a collective table that puts all things together along with specification differences so someone can make an informed decision? 

I see many variations in my local retailer that I cannot find on the website unless I search specifically for that model. And even when I do it's not always guaranteed that I will find the extra information to help my needs.

Thanks in advance,

G

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

If it is down to the number of satellites, unless you save a lot by buying a bundle, start with the smallest number that makes sense and then add more if you find you have "not spots". If you want to add wired connections, think Powerline Ethernet.

One important aspect for those things is also the hardware part - I often like to take a look at the CPU manufacturer and the amount of RAM as well as its tier (if its DDR3 or DDR4). Where could I find all these? 

The only place where Netgear posts any details is in the data sheets on the support pages for each device.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find all the documentation for your hardware.

Or go out into the Internet. Many of these details probably come under the "trade secret" category.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

I agree that it is confusing.  Netgear first introduced the "50" series products (the RBR50 router and RBS50 satellite) which are packaged in various ways (RBK50 = one router and one satellite, RBK53=one router and two satellites.  I agree, it makes no sense.)  This "top of the line" product has been augmented with the "40", "20", and "10" series.  The key difference seems to be in the strength of the radios, the number of antennas, and the number of ethernet ports.  On top of that, Netgear also released a "Pro" version targeted at business, and has now introduced a WiFi 6 version (the "AX" line).

Selecting a mesh WiFi system at the end of 2019 is a complicated process.  Every major WiFi vendor has one or more products, and all of them seem to be releasing variations and WiFi 6 compatible systems every day.  It was so much "simpler" in 2018 when Netgear Orbi was basically the "best in class" at the time.

If you have specific questions, people on this community forum may offer opinions.  In the end, however, "you pays your money and you takes your chances."  (forget who said that, but it seems pertinent.)

Message 2 of 8
elementoulis
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

I agree that it is confusing.  Netgear first introduced the "50" series products (the RBR50 router and RBS50 satellite) which are packaged in various ways (RBK50 = one router and one satellite, RBK53=one router and two satellites.  I agree, it makes no sense.)  This "top of the line" product has been augmented with the "40", "20", and "10" series.  The key difference seems to be in the strength of the radios, the number of antennas, and the number of ethernet ports.  On top of that, Netgear also released a "Pro" version targeted at business, and has now introduced a WiFi 6 version (the "AX" line).

Selecting a mesh WiFi system at the end of 2019 is a complicated process.  Every major WiFi vendor has one or more products, and all of them seem to be releasing variations and WiFi 6 compatible systems every day.  It was so much "simpler" in 2018 when Netgear Orbi was basically the "best in class" at the time.

If you have specific questions, people on this community forum may offer opinions.  In the end, however, "you pays your money and you takes your chances."  (forget who said that, but it seems pertinent.)

Okay , thanks for the prompt reply and thanks for being polite! 

So I think my first question, since I'm about to join the "mesh cult" , and since I don't plan on putting the mesh together by buying parts one by one individually, would be, if there is any place I can see the RBK-XX, packages all together, so that I can see diferences in pricing and antena throughput variations, or other "shenanigans" if I may, that may be in place.

Thanks,

G

Message 3 of 8

I'd start by plugging my requirements into the products page.

Begin with the size of your premises:

Best WiFi Router | Best Mesh WiFi System | Extended WiFi | Orbi by NETGEAR

Message 4 of 8
elementoulis
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

I'd start by plugging my requirements into the products page.

Begin with the size of your premises:

Best WiFi Router | Best Mesh WiFi System | Extended WiFi | Orbi by NETGEAR

Yes, I've done that and the suggestion is RBK22 - which is more or less the way I gonna go cause the price tag is close to what I'm willing to give.

However, I would still like to know if there is an RBK23 for more satelites. If there are RBK32/33 and 42/43 respectively and how much they cost since I want to evaluate if spending extra dough for something better will offer me things that may prove usefull in the future or if I move to a larger house in the future.

I would like to know if certain versions support technologies proprietary to Netgear (such as TP-Link's model lineup) or if certain versions support general networking technologies that other versions do not such as: creation of vLAN(s), white/black lists, MAC filtering, Local DNS resolution (for the services I'm running inside the house and I need local hostnames) etc.

One important aspect for those things is also the hardware part - I often like to take a look at the CPU manufacturer and the amount of RAM as well as its tier (if its DDR3 or DDR4). Where could I find all these? 

Thanks,

G

Message 5 of 8

If it is down to the number of satellites, unless you save a lot by buying a bundle, start with the smallest number that makes sense and then add more if you find you have "not spots". If you want to add wired connections, think Powerline Ethernet.

The only place where Netgear posts any details is in the data sheets on the support pages for each device.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find all the documentation for your hardware.

Or go out into the Internet. Many of these details probably come under the "trade secret" category.

Message 6 of 8
elementoulis
Aspirant

Okay I've done some more reading. Is there any place I can get a full knowledge and feel of the web-based management interface for the Orbi? And does that interface diferfentiate in any way between versions (i.e. RBK10 to 20 to 50 etc.)

Thanks in advance,

George

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

This one is easier to answer.  The User Guide for Orbi is here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7