Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi wired backhaul performance

amrobx
Guide

Orbi wired backhaul performance

Has anyone that isn’t experiencing issues gotten an idea of the performance gains, if any, with wired backhaul? Also, has netgear mentioned anything about opening up the 3rd high speed band to wireless clients in a future firmware update? I bought a Linksys Velop for the wired backhaul and am looking to find out if Orbi may be the better choice now that it supports wired backhaul.

Thank you in advance

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 22
Dd852
Luminary

I tried wired backhaul (using Homeplug as my place isn't wired for ethernet) and found it worked fine...but the wireless backhaul was actualy better for me, so i reverted. I have thankfully not had any of the dropouts that others are reporting on his forum - very happy user. And I'm on the 2.1.1.16. I think if I had true ethernet in the home the wirted backhaul would allow some very interesting configurations in my long and narrow home (with the broadband input unfortunately in a remote corner!) but the "original" wireless backhaul actually gives me fine results - between 167-273 Mbps near the satellite and 20-40 Mbps in far corners. My connection is supposedly 1 GB but...given that I don't need to do anything terribly demanding with it - I'm not a gamer, there are only two of us using the connection and this is fine for simultaneous downloading and streaming), I'm going to leave well enough alone!

Message 2 of 22
amrobx
Guide

Thanks for the response. If you don’t mind, was your homeplug gigabit or one of the 500-600 Mb models? I know even the gigabit model doesn't quite hit full speed, but it’s at least a reference point for me.
Message 3 of 22
Dd852
Luminary

Hi. Gigabit. The long story is that on some plugs I get very good throughout (800 mbps according to the tplink app) but as luck would have it where I wanted to put the orbi it dropped in half - must be a different sub circuit. And of course 400 isn’t 400 - it is shared up and down so it reduced the broadband to an effective 200 max.
Message 4 of 22
joemann797
Initiate

I just recently wired my orbi system using cat5e going from the satellites to the router. The main difference I noticed is much lower ping time (which is great for things like gaming, or in my case, in home streaming from a PC).

I was trying to set up my network for steam's in home streaming, with my desktop plugged into one of the satellites and performance was just terrible and unusable. Even though performance was good for streaming video from Netflix, in home streaming requires low latency and stable connection. I could still stream to a laptop connected wirelessly and it's perfect now. I think it's mostly because of my specific configuration.

As far as using power line adapter, I would recommend against it since the wireless backhaul on the orbi is very good, just not good enough for my needs. So far, the orbi wireless backhaul has surpassed any power line adapter I've tried by a long shot. So, if you can't pass a cat5 cable from the router to the satellite, any other method is a waste of time and effort IMO. Hope that helps.
Message 5 of 22
radamo
Apprentice

I noticed the same thing... my ping was reduced back to where it was before I implemented Orbi.  The D/L and U/L speeds haven't changed but I am much happier to have a lower ping rate for occasional gaming etc... 

Message 6 of 22
linkwrt
Guide

Over wire using RBS50 i have full speed  >950-970mbps,

Wireless is >500 <600mbps old macbook air.

Message 7 of 22
radamo
Apprentice

I only have 100Mb wifi (actual performance is over 200 though).  My DL/UL speeds were about the same with either method. 

Message 8 of 22
linkwrt
Guide

check RBS satellite if is connected to 2.4Ghz or both 5Ghz.

Message 9 of 22
radamo
Apprentice

The connection to the satellite is wired and does not use the wireless frequencies. 

Message 10 of 22
epsilonkore
Apprentice

My house was pre wired with Cat6 so I awaited the stable release that enabled Orbi's wired backhaul. I can say, though the Orbi has an excellent wireless backhaul, it still doesnt beat its wired backhaul. After converting my RB50 3 piece system I noticed my maximum wireless speeds increased slightly everywhere. I have gigabit internet service so I can somewhat max out the Orbi and show its flaws (few) better than someone with less speed.

iPhone X with just the router running can hit 641Mbps and 6ms ping speeds to Speedtest.

iPhone X With both of the Orbi satellites in Wireless Backhaul mode, tested at satellite, the top speed drops to 385Mbps and ping rises to 10ms.

iPhone X With Both of the Orbi satellite in Wired Backhaul mode, tested at satellite, the top speed rises back to 425Mbps and ping drops down to 7ms.

Macbook Pro in wireless mode hits slightly faster throughput (maxing out 720Mbps with just the router) and similar ping results to my iPhone X.

My wired connections (windows 10 gaming rig) from the router did not change in performance under any scenerio, they all hit 940Mbps and 6ms ping.

My peak wired from satellite in wireless backhaul mode is somewhat inconsistent, but always hits in the 750-800Mbps range with 9ms ping.

My peak wired from satellite in wired backhaul mode is a consistent 940Mbps with 6ms ping (same as my previously existing netgear switch).

It seems ANY backhaul enabled (as in, any Orbi Satellite turned on) results in peak drop in wireless for my iPhone X, Macbook Pro and Microsoft Surface. I also didnt try to saturate the 1gigabit wired backhaul with additional LAN to LAN traffic competing with my Gig LAN to WAN request, which could happen if you have a media server/office type setup. But that is more for finding the limits of the system than a common at home usage scenerio.

I wonder, with the disabled backhaul radio, could Netgear add it as another stream for the AC wireless? Not sure if they used the same AC tech/chip, but would be interesting if you could also see significantly enhanced wireless with say a 3x3 or 4x4 device vs Orbi's current 2x2 max setup. 

If you are using your Satellites, a wired backhaul is definitely superior to wireless, though its not earthshatteringly better. The prime advantages are slightly improved thoughput, consistency, lower jitter and significantly lower ping. Of course it also gets rid of one or two extra wireless streams that could be slower in noisier wireless environments than what I have.

Message 11 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Which version of FW are you using?

Any switches your using in the mix between the Satellite and Router?

@epsilonkore wrote:

My house was pre wired with Cat6 so I awaited the stable release that enabled Orbi's wired backhaul. I can say, though the Orbi has an excellent wireless backhaul, it still doesnt beat its wired backhaul. After converting my RB50 3 piece system I noticed my maximum wireless speeds increased slightly everywhere. I have gigabit internet service so I can somewhat max out the Orbi and show its flaws (few) better than someone with less speed.

iPhone X with just the router running can hit 641Mbps and 6ms ping speeds to Speedtest.

iPhone X With both of the Orbi satellites in Wireless Backhaul mode, tested at satellite, the top speed drops to 385Mbps and ping rises to 10ms.

iPhone X With Both of the Orbi satellite in Wired Backhaul mode, tested at satellite, the top speed rises back to 425Mbps and ping drops down to 7ms.

Macbook Pro in wireless mode hits slightly faster throughput (maxing out 720Mbps with just the router) and similar ping results to my iPhone X.

My wired connections (windows 10 gaming rig) from the router did not change in performance under any scenerio, they all hit 940Mbps and 6ms ping.

My peak wired from satellite in wireless backhaul mode is somewhat inconsistent, but always hits in the 750-800Mbps range with 9ms ping.

My peak wired from satellite in wired backhaul mode is a consistent 940Mbps with 6ms ping (same as my previously existing netgear switch).

It seems ANY backhaul enabled (as in, any Orbi Satellite turned on) results in peak drop in wireless for my iPhone X, Macbook Pro and Microsoft Surface. I also didnt try to saturate the 1gigabit wired backhaul with additional LAN to LAN traffic competing with my Gig LAN to WAN request, which could happen if you have a media server/office type setup. But that is more for finding the limits of the system than a common at home usage scenerio.

I wonder, with the disabled backhaul radio, could Netgear add it as another stream for the AC wireless? Not sure if they used the same AC tech/chip, but would be interesting if you could also see significantly enhanced wireless with say a 3x3 or 4x4 device vs Orbi's current 2x2 max setup. 

If you are using your Satellites, a wired backhaul is definitely superior to wireless, though its not earthshatteringly better. The prime advantages are slightly improved thoughput, consistency, lower jitter and significantly lower ping. Of course it also gets rid of one or two extra wireless streams that could be slower in noisier wireless environments than what I have.

Message 12 of 22
epsilonkore
Apprentice

Firmware 2.1.3.4

One netgear GS308 gig switch. 

No notable degredation from using the switch. My gaming rig attached directly to the router or directly to the wired satellite (the switch is between the router and satellite) all result in consistent 940Mbps and around 6-7ms pings. 

Message 13 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, just making sure. Ya yours is a un-managed switch:

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/switches/soho-ethernet-switches/GS308.aspx

Enjoy.

Message 14 of 22
epsilonkore
Apprentice

Right, no need for remote services, switch level qos, the power envelope or the size (that wouldnt fit in my small built in network/telco/coaxbox) that the Orbi doesnt already provide downstream. What was it that you were making sure of exactly?

Message 15 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Making sure you did have a managed switch, if you did, would have to ask how you were making it work. LOL. Seen issues with other posters having issues with manages switches. I presume there is some switch configurations that could make them work with the Orbi system. Just know know what that would be. I have two swtiches in between my router and satellite. Working well. Non managed of course.

Message 16 of 22
dalnew
Tutor

I was running some ethernet backhaul tests the other day and am seeing something a bit weird. When I connect my laptop to either orbi satellite via the the ethernet ports i see around 940Mbps. When I connect my laptop to the ethernet port of the orbi router, however, I get around 740Mbps. When I bypass the orbi router and connect it directly to the switch via the same cable its back to 940 Mbps. Any idea why the orbi router would degrade the performance so much?

I'm using FW 2.1.3.4 on all the Orbis and I have a netgear GS308 as my switch that all the orbis are connected to.

Message 17 of 22
epsilonkore
Apprentice

That is strange, when you upgraded to 2.1.3.4 did you do a full wipe with the reset pin or just an upgrade? I have (in a seperate elaborate thread) experienced odd performance issues out of the routers ports when upgrading to newer firmwares. At one point I was locked around 500Mbps from the router, but my (then wireless) ports on my satellites would give me over 800Mbps... wireless was FASTER than my routers ports! I ended up downgrading to the original firmware (yes the oldest one out there) on router and satellites, i then wiped them using the reset pin, and upgraded to the last of the 1.x firmwares, repeated the reset with pin again, then moved to the 2.x firmwares... my routers switch suddenly went back to full speed. I have seen this happen many times on older routers when I put WRT or Tomato firmwares on them, sometimes to get performance back I had to go to the oldest original firmwares the router supported to restore all functionality, then upgrade back to the current.

That being said, FIRST I would check to be sure your ethernet cable isnt the issue, swap it and retest... sometimes the simplest thing is the source of your problem.

Message 18 of 22
dalnew
Tutor

I tested the ethernet cable definitely not that. When I plug directly into the cable the Orbi router is using I get 940Mbps. When I plug my other cable into the satellites I get 940Mbps. When I plug that same cable into the back of the Orbi router 700Mbps.

I did full resets of all the Orbis when flashing them with the latest firmware.

Message 19 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

How long are you waiting to speed test after you plug back into the router a 2nd time? Seems like it's working on 1st test however when you come back around, it's lower speeds. Wondering if there is some latent process in the system thats not being cleared in a period of time from when you 1st test to 2nd test. Does this happen if you come at a later time frame or day later?

@dalnew wrote:

I tested the ethernet cable definitely not that. When I plug directly into the cable the Orbi router is using I get 940Mbps. When I plug my other cable into the satellites I get 940Mbps. When I plug that same cable into the back of the Orbi router 700Mbps.

I did full resets of all the Orbis when flashing them with the latest firmware.

Message 20 of 22
dalnew
Tutor

I've tested it multiple times throughout the day. It's always consistantly 200+Mbps lower than if I plug directly into the switch or another Orbi.

Message 21 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Does it happen with a different PC or laptop? Just seeing if this tracks to other wired PCs as well. Is odd.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7