Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi with 1 Satellite - Suggested Security settings?

EwanRGR
Tutor

Orbi with 1 Satellite - Suggested Security settings?

Got the new Orbi with one satellite today, and install was a snap. Of course part of it was letting both update firmware before letting everything connect.

Previously, I had my one router setup as a different address than the default for the cable modem - i.e. cable modem wants to be 192.168.1.1 and I had the router setup as 192.168.10.1. It appears that Orbi is doing it's own negotiation here, but am wondering if there is a firewall setting I've missed, or anything else I should be looking at?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
EwanRGR
Tutor

Re: Orbi with 1 Satellite - Suggested Security settings?

What I ended up doing was subscribing to a VPN service and making sure I run everything through that. I am still a bit concerned that the Orbi is too open and could be an issue, but it is pretty evident that there is no serious work being done to secure it. I guess that will be a factor when I do my next upgrade in early 2018.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
EwanRGR
Tutor

Anyone? I did hit iperf today, and was surprised to see that I am now IPv4 rather than IPv6, but I suspect that is from dropping to DHCP rather than using fixed IPs. Again, anything I should be looking for or configuring to minize my threat profile?

Message 2 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello EwanRGR

If you modem is a router/modem combo then you will need to bridge the modem or run the orbi as a AP.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 5
MachineLearner
Apprentice

I can't help on security settings, need to learn more about them myself, but re IPv6, I noticed IPv6 was disabled by default when I set my router and satellite up yesterday.  I haven't changed that setting yet, and there are several options.  I suspect "auto detect" will be what I want.  Not sure why "disabled" is the default setting though.   My previous router was an Apple Airport Extreme, and I know when our ISP (Cox) rolled out IPv6 support, we started having lots of stability problems with our network.  The problems stopped when Apple released an unspecified firmware update.   

Message 4 of 5
EwanRGR
Tutor

What I ended up doing was subscribing to a VPN service and making sure I run everything through that. I am still a bit concerned that the Orbi is too open and could be an issue, but it is pretty evident that there is no serious work being done to secure it. I guess that will be a factor when I do my next upgrade in early 2018.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7