Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi with 4 satelites- Some devices are connecting to satelites further away. How do I change t

Rikerrock
Tutor

Orbi with 4 satelites- Some devices are connecting to satelites further away. How do I change that?

I have a orbi system with 4 satelites and I have some devices for what ever reason has connected to orbis that are further away.  How can  I change that?  Is there away to tell the orbi system what satelites devices can use?

I've tried telling my amcrest camera to connect to the satelite that has the strongest signal but it keeps going to the one that has the least.

Is there a way to temp turn an orbi satelite without unplugging it?

THanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi with 4 satelites- Some devices are connecting to satelites further away. How do I change t

Devices choose what signal they want to connect too. Orbi just handles getting them connected to where ever. 

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Placement is key. How is the satellites configured and placed? Star formation to the RBR or out in a line from the RBR to the last satellite? Possible you may have too many satellites. Test with only two satellites ON. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

Do you have Daisy Chain enabled or disabled? 

@Rikerrock wrote:

I have a orbi system with 4 satelites and I have some devices for what ever reason has connected to orbis that are further away.  How can  I change that?  Is there away to tell the orbi system what satelites devices can use?

I've tried telling my amcrest camera to connect to the satelite that has the strongest signal but it keeps going to the one that has the least.

THanks

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Rikerrock wrote:

THanks

Message 3 of 5
Rikerrock
Tutor

Latest firmware. V2.3.1.48

The orbi connects to a frontier fios unit.

Router mode

approx 3700sqft home

All satelites are connected via a gigabit wire.

I have the router in the garage.

Satelite near family room and then one in my office;  Approx 40-50 feet apart.

Second story one on one side of house above the family room and the other above my office  about 60 feet away from each other.

Backhaul tried turning off from on.

The other two mimo and beamforming checked

The media one is checked

2.4 set to auto

5 ghz set to 48

Thanks

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

@Rikerrock wrote:

Latest firmware. V2.3.1.48

The orbi connects to a frontier fios unit. Whats the MFr and model of this unit? 

Router mode

approx 3700sqft home

All satelites are connected via a gigabit wire.

Are they all connected to the back of the RBR or thru a LAN switch?

I have the router in the garage.

Satelite near family room and then one in my office;  Approx 40-50 feet apart.

Second story one on one side of house above the family room and the other above my office  about 60 feet away from each other.

Backhaul tried turning off from on.

The other two mimo and beamforming checked. Daisy chain should be disabled. 

The media one is checked

2.4 set to auto

5 ghz set to 48

Thanks

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7