Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi with EX8000 extender

w7cma48
Follower

Orbi with EX8000 extender

I have an Orbi RBR20 and have recently purchased an EX8000 extender. the extender back haul channels are higher than the orbi 5 gz channels. How do I know if the extender is connected to the Orbi on the back haul band? when I go to the satus screen on the extender the connection on the 5 ghz band on the Orbi is not green. Here is a snip . I am on the latest firmware on both devices. It is recomending I change the channel on the router but it onli goes to 48.

Any help would be appreciaated. Thanks for your time.

Capture.JPG

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

The 20 series max connection rate is 866Mb while the EX8000 supports up to 1733Mb on it's 3rd radio which isn't a backhaul radio. This radio can be used by users to connect too if configured correctly. The Orbi has a dedicated wirelesss backhaul radio, the 3rd radio, which is hidden from use by users and devices and only used by the Orbi system and it's satellite(s). So possible the EX may not work well with the Orbi system. 

@w7cma48 wrote:

I have an Orbi RBR20 and have recently purchased an EX8000 extender. the extender back haul channels are higher than the orbi 5 gz channels. How do I know if the extender is connected to the Orbi on the back haul band? when I go to the satus screen on the extender the connection on the 5 ghz band on the Orbi is not green. Here is a snip . I am on the latest firmware on both devices. It is recomending I change the channel on the router but it onli goes to 48.

Any help would be appreciaated. Thanks for your time.

Capture.JPG

Message 2 of 4
ekhalil
Master

@w7cma48 wrote:

........ It is recomending I change the channel on the router but it onli goes to 48.

The fronthaul 5 GHz channels in Orbi can only be 36, 40, 44 and 48. The higher channels are being used by the backhaul links.

The used channel 48 in your case has a throughput of 263 Mbps as indicated by your attached snapshot. This throughput can reach up to 866 Mbps but depends on two things that will affect the channels MCS value.:

1. Radio condition between Orbi and the extender. Please make sure that the two nodes are not that far away and that there are no big obstacles that can affect the coverage.
  2. If MIMO is activated in Orbi then there will be two spatial instead of one and thus you can almost double the throughput, please make sure MU-MIMO is activated in the advanced wireless settings in Orbi.

Message 3 of 4
Roemer469
Aspirant

The issue I was trying to remedy was eliminating the EXT SSIDs and get better coverage in the entertainment room on the other side of the house. So, I was thinking of changing the ex7300 to one of those new extenders I mentioned in the original post. OR going with just Orbi tutapp 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7