Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi with Sky Q

ViperStripes
Aspirant

Orbi with Sky Q

I haven't bought an Orbi yet, but good Black Friday deals available.

I'm trying to understand which of the 2 setups below is actually how Orbi works.  Read reviews and I can't quite tell.

My current set up is a BT Openreach Modem which is cabled into a Sky Q Router (i.e. latest generation router when we upgraded to Sky Fibre but I don't have Sky Q TV boxes, just standard Sky+HD).  We then use the Sky Wifi Username and password for all home devices.

The Sky Q Router only has 2 ethernet ports so one of them has a NETGEAR GS205-100UKS 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Desktop Switch plugged into it so I could hardwire the Amazon box and Sky HD box into it for streaming.

So does Orbi:

A) Replace the Sky Q router and plug directly into the BT Openreach Modem or 

B) Plug into the Netgear Ethernet splitter that's plugged into the Sky Q box?

Hoping the former I can then get rid of 2 boxes under the TV and use the ethernet ports on the Orbi.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 3
ViperStripes
Aspirant

Re: Orbi with Sky Q

Anyone?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 2 of 3
st_shaw
Master

Re: Orbi with Sky Q

I don't have any experience with SkyQ, but Orbi can either:

1) Serve as a normal router, behind a modem, or

2) Serve as a WiFi access point behind an existing router.

If your SkyQ router has no special features you need for your service, then you should be able to replace it with Orbi. Otherwise, you can plug Orbi into the router and run Orbi in access point mode.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7