Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi with Technicolor tg799vac

LaaseJ
Aspirant

Orbi with Technicolor tg799vac

Hi,

I live in Sweden and have fiber via internet supplier Telia. Telia have their own modem/router (all in one unit, at least I think so?) called Technicolor TG799VAC.

Can I use the Orbi system? I have asked Telia and also several Netgear dealers but no one knows. When I read the installation guide on Netgear homepage it says that I should connect the Orbi to the modem but how should I do it when moden and router is the same unit.

Can I just connect the Orbi router to a LAN port at the Technicolor?

Best regards

Lasse

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

@LaaseJ wrote:

Thank's but st_shaw answer that I need to turn of the wifi radio to use the Orbi as acces point. But you mean that this is not neccessary?

Best regards

Lasse

No. @Bing-Stroller has his router in "bridge" mode, as I described.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

You can use the Orbi in Access Point mode with your existing Technicolor router.  Turn off the WiFi radios in your existing router.

If it is possible to set your Technicolor router into "bridge" mode, then you could you use the Orbi in router mode.  The routing functions of Orbi are nothing sensational, so you might be better off using Orbi in access point mode. That's how I use mine.

Message 2 of 6
loomis1975
Luminary

If you setup the Orbi in Access Point mode, you can connect it to any LAN port on your modem/router.  And keep your existing routing setup without changes.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 6
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

I have an all in one modem router supplied by Virgin Media.
I turned off the router side and it effectively becomes modem only.
I was then able to plug the Orbi in to work as the router.
Message 4 of 6
LaaseJ
Aspirant

Thank's but st_shaw answer that I need to turn of the wifi radio to use the Orbi as acces point. But you mean that this is not neccessary?

Best regards

Lasse

Message 5 of 6
st_shaw
Master

@LaaseJ wrote:

Best regards

Lasse

No. @Bing-Stroller has his router in "bridge" mode, as I described.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7