Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi with Xfinity modem/router

kmp18
Initiate

Orbi with Xfinity modem/router

I have an Xfinity modem/router (model TG1682G) and just purchased a tri-band orbi to handle dead spots in the house.  I researched and saw that most recommended to enable Bridge mode on my Xfinity modem so that Orbi is doing all of the routing.  I did that, set up my Orbi, and my devices saw the new router.  Problem is that I did not have an internet connection.  I was on the phone with Comcast for 2 hours while they tried all kinds of things.  Finally, they said they could not help because my modem was working properly and had a signal, so since I was using a 3rd party product, they could no longer help.  I had to have them disable bridge mode to get internet back up.  Does anyone have suggestions?  Should I forego this method and keep the Xfinity up as a router and have the Orbi run off of it?  In that case, I would more or less have 2 routers, correct?  I am at a loss and don't what to do at this point.  I also saw something about setting up Orbi as an Access Point.  Confused at this point!!  Thanks for any help!

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 18
SeaMonkey80
Apprentice

If you were able to setup the Xfinity modem in bridge mode, then your Orbi should have picked up an IP address.  This is a silly thing to ask, but did you check to make sure that your ethernet cable from the Xfinity modem was plugged into the yellow (WAN) port on the Orbi Router?  Also, make sure you have Xfinity turn off the xfinity hotspot feature on the modem.  You don't want the wireless signal from your modem interfering with the Orbi.  Even in bridge mode, Xfinity keeps that feature on.

Message 2 of 18
kmp18
Initiate

Yes, I was connected from the Xfinity modem (ethernet port 1, that's what port Comcast said I should use) and connected it to the yellow port on the Orbi.  Do you have to have Xfinity turn off the hotspot feature?  All of my devices could see the new Orbi router, but just no internet connection. 

Message 3 of 18
SeaMonkey80
Apprentice

Strange that you weren't getting the internet to work with the modem in bridge mode.  My only suggestion would be to try again, but this time don't power on the Orbi until the Xfinity modem finishes initializing in bridge mode.  Once it is ready, turn on the Orbi and see if it connects. 

I have an Xfinity modem in bridge mode, with the hotspot turned off.  The reason I had it turned off was because it sits right next to the Orbi router.  I did not want the radios to interfere with my Orbi network.  So, unless you connect to Xfinity's hotspot at home, I don't see why you should keep it on.  Do you have to turn it off? It is up to you, but it couldn't hurt.

Message 4 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 5 of 18
richards10
Aspirant

I am totally at sea as to how to connect the Orbi to my Xfinity router.  Right now I have the yellow ethernet cord connecting my desktop and my Xfinity router.  I'm not sure how to connect from the Xfinity router to the Orbi router as this post says to do.  There do not seem to be any extra outlets in the back of the Xfinity router which would permit connecting the Orbi to it.  If I connect the ethernet cord from the Xfinity router to the Orbi, then it won't be connected to my desktop.

Nor am I sure how to change the Xfinity router settings so that it will be compatible with the Orbi.  If there are any clear step by step instructions already published explaining how to do this, or someone can lay this out for me here I'd be grateful.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 6 of 18
SeaMonkey80
Apprentice

@richards10 wrote:

I am totally at sea as to how to connect the Orbi to my Xfinity router.  Right now I have the yellow ethernet cord connecting my desktop and my Xfinity router.  I'm not sure how to connect from the Xfinity router to the Orbi router as this post says to do.  There do not seem to be any extra outlets in the back of the Xfinity router which would permit connecting the Orbi to it.  If I connect the ethernet cord from the Xfinity router to the Orbi, then it won't be connected to my desktop.

Nor am I sure how to change the Xfinity router settings so that it will be compatible with the Orbi.  If there are any clear step by step instructions already published explaining how to do this, or someone can lay this out for me here I'd be grateful.

Hi @richards10, let me see if I can walk you through the process as I have an xfinity router and have my Orbi setup and running pretty well.

First, we will need to place your xfinity router into bridge mode.  With your current setup, navigate your web browser to http://10.0.0.1.  Login to the modem with the following, User ID: admin, PW: password.  Once you are logged in, the main page will have a toggle for entering into bridge mode.  Select that, and allow the modem to reboot. 

Next, disconnect the yellow ethernet cable from your computer (not the xfinity router), and then plug it into the YELLOW ethernet port on the Orbi.  You will need to connect a second ethernet cable into one of the other open ports on the Orbi and then directly to your computer.  Power on your Orbi router and wait for it to boot.

Now, connect to the Orbi via the web login (http://192.168.1.1) and setup the router according to the instruction card that came with the Orbi router.  Hopefully this helps.  If not, PM me, and I can walk you through the process as best as I can.

~SeaMonkey

Message 7 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Might be helpful for a picture view of connections:

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

@richards10 wrote:

Message 8 of 18
JammasterC
Star

I have the Arris TG1682G Moden/Router for Xfinity.

Wifi is "Off" and "Bridge Mode" is Disabled on the Arris. I found "Enabling" Bridge Mode caused no internet.

Also "Mocca" is enabled because multi-room DVR needs it.

I am currently using a Netgear WNDR3700 router (DD-WRTWNDR3700).

I am waitng for the Orbi RBK50 to arrive tomorrow.

So we'll see if I get a simple plug n play.

Message 9 of 18
SeaMonkey80
Apprentice

Since you must use the xfinity modem in router mode, I would suggest using the Orbi in AP mode. The easiest way to set this up is to first configure the Orbi and satellite(s) out of the box without connecting to the xfinity modem. Switch to AP mode once the main unit and satellite(s) is/are synced, and then connect to the xfinity modem. Everything should work once the Orbi receives its IP address.
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 10 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Well Bridge mode would be preferred and after setting bridge mode, you should have powered OFF the modem. Connected the Orbi to the modem. Power ON the modem, let it sync, then powered ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard. The orbi should have found internet access and set it up for you. 

I would try option #2 of the suggestion however while the modem is not bridged. 

@JammasterC wrote:

I have the Arris TG1682G Moden/Router for Xfinity.

Wifi is "Off" and "Bridge Mode" is Disabled on the Arris. I found "Enabling" Bridge Mode caused no internet.

Also "Mocca" is enabled because multi-room DVR needs it.

I am currently using a Netgear WNDR3700 router (DD-WRTWNDR3700).

I am waitng for the Orbi RBK50 to arrive tomorrow.

So we'll see if I get a simple plug n play.

Message 11 of 18
Redbandit
Aspirant

I have a modem router C6300 and I am thinking of getting an Orbi (RBK33) this Black Friday. I have been following this thread and I see 2 options (btwI am a network noob):
1) Use my C6300 as a bridge and Orbi as a router
2) Stick with my C6300 and use Orbi as an AP
My question is whether there are any differences with either option in terms of performance? I am thinking that since my C6300 is already a few years old, the router functionality might not be as good as the Orbi’s? My xfinity internet plan is only 250mbs so perhaps there is no difference?
Message 12 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

If your modem is supported by your ISP and your getting to spec speeds, then I would keep the modem and use the Orbi as the router and wifi. Bridge the modem and you'll be fine with the Orbi system.

@Redbandit wrote:
I have a modem router C6300 and I am thinking of getting an Orbi (RBK33) this Black Friday. I have been following this thread and I see 2 options (btwI am a network noob):
1) Use my C6300 as a bridge and Orbi as a router
2) Stick with my C6300 and use Orbi as an AP
My question is whether there are any differences with either option in terms of performance? I am thinking that since my C6300 is already a few years old, the router functionality might not be as good as the Orbi’s? My xfinity internet plan is only 250mbs so perhaps there is no difference?

Message 13 of 18
Redbandit
Aspirant

Thanks Furrye36. Are there any performance differences or considerations between using option 1 or option 2?
Message 14 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Shouldn't be performance differences, however in 2, since you could have other devices connected at the modem, there could be some performance issues. I would recommend connecting everything to the Orbi in any configuration. 

@Redbandit wrote:
Thanks Furrye36. Are there any performance differences or considerations between using option 1 or option 2?

Message 15 of 18
jimmorgan7
Aspirant

I need two different WiFi routers in my home: one to run my Ring security system without interfering with my computer WiFi network.  I'm using the built in router in my Xfinity Modem for connecting to the Ring products.  I'm using the Orbi router to connect to my computer products.  Recently, I bought an Amazon Fire Cube to enhance smart features on a dumb TV in the bedroom.  It found the Xfinify Router as there is an WiFi extender right next to the TV.  Alexa is fussing and sending out error messages because occassionaly the WiFi loses the Up load channel and Alexa is unable to correspond with its server.  Comcast says that I am not allowed to use both routers at the same time as they have to time-share and can lose the proper signals from Comcast.  Because of my security setup and computer setup, I don't want to have to go around and change all of the settings on the security end of the package.  Any suggestions as how I can continue to use both WiFi networks?

Message 16 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Ensure that the channels between the two wireless networks is a far appart from each other on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. 

2.4Ghz set channel 1 on the ISP router and channel 11 on the Orbi. Same for the 5Ghz, 36 on the ISP modem and 48 on the Orbi router. 

Ensure that the modem and Orbi routers wifi and satellites are placed far appart from each other. 

It pregferred to disable ALL wifi on the ISP modem and use the Orbi as your main wifi. Having two wifi systems in the same home will be problematic as you seem to be experiencing. 

Good Luck. 

@jimmorgan7 wrote:

I need two different WiFi routers in my home: one to run my Ring security system without interfering with my computer WiFi network.  I'm using the built in router in my Xfinity Modem for connecting to the Ring products.  I'm using the Orbi router to connect to my computer products.  Recently, I bought an Amazon Fire Cube to enhance smart features on a dumb TV in the bedroom.  It found the Xfinify Router as there is an WiFi extender right next to the TV.  Alexa is fussing and sending out error messages because occassionaly the WiFi loses the Up load channel and Alexa is unable to correspond with its server.  Comcast says that I am not allowed to use both routers at the same time as they have to time-share and can lose the proper signals from Comcast.  Because of my security setup and computer setup, I don't want to have to go around and change all of the settings on the security end of the package.  Any suggestions as how I can continue to use both WiFi networks?

Message 17 of 18
ekhalil
Master

@jimmorgan7 wrote:

Yes you can have two or more wifi networks but you need to give each newtwork a different'7unique  SSID and radio channels, to make sure that deivces don't try to roam to the networks that you don't them to roam to. Any such roaming will -likely- result in dropped packets and wifi disconnections.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7