Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi with fios

BostonMike12
Follower

Orbi with fios

Hi All -- Hoping someone with some networking skills can point me in the right direction. I have a FIOS Quantum Gateway router in the basement and much of the house wired with CAT5. I’m using several of the ethernet ports, including one that is connected to a Netgear GS108T switch that all the home entertainment stuff is connected to (TiVo, TV, receiver, etc.)

The wireless is turned off on the FIOS router and I have a wireless router connected to it. (This enables me to get the wireless out of the basement.)

I'm going to replace the current wireless router with an Orbi system to eliminate some deadspots in the house. I want make sure I set things up correctly from the beginning. With the current set up, devices occassionally have trouble connecting to the internet. I'm guessing that this might have something to do with IP address conflicts from the FIOS router and the WiFi router.

Before setting the Orbi up and having the same problems, I figure I should come here for advice. Any thoughts on the best way to set this all up? I want to keep the things that are connected to the FIOS router via ethernet, but add the Orbi and all its benefits. 

I certainly appreciate any help. Thanks!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 3
TheEther
Guru

Re: Orbi with fios

If your house is wired with Cat5, then an Orbi isn't the best solution for you.  The best solution is to deploy multiple wired Access Points.  Nothing beats the reliability and performance of Ethernet.

You can get dedicated Access Points or you can reconfigure any router into an Access Point.  To do the latter, perform the following steps:

1. Disable the DHCP server on the router to be used as an Access Point
  2. Set its LAN IP address to belong to the main router's subnet.  Use an address that is outside of the range of IP addresses managed by main router's DHCP server (you don't want the IP address to be handed out to another device by mistake).  For example, if the DHCP server on the main router is configured to hand out addresses between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.2.100, then use something like 192.168.2.200 for the router.
  3. Connect one of the router's LAN ports to the network.  Leave the WAN/Internet port disconnected.

You can do this with your current wireless router.  This should solve all of your IP address troubles.

Message 2 of 3
thomasdiak
Aspirant

Re: Orbi with fios

Wondering if the OP settled on a solution that worked? I have a very similar setup and looking into options. I had planned to position Orbi satellites around the house, connected to new Cat6 outlets for wired connection to the main Orbi router connected to the network switch in the basement, but I understand it's not possible to set Orbi satellites up in this way...

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7