Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi without interent service

cyclejim
Aspirant

Orbi without interent service

I want to run an orbi wifi network in a remote location where there is no internet.  An local apache server will be connected to the orbi router.  Users will connect to the apache server through the orbi network.  

Will this work, or does Orbi require an internet connection to function?

Thanks,

Jim

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Orbi does not require an internet service.  It will be sad and lonely, but it will work.  Does the physical size of the area being served require a mesh network?

p.s. A number of people have reported using Orbi with LTE modems that provide internet over a cellular signal.  (vacation homes, etc.)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Orbi does not require an internet service.  It will be sad and lonely, but it will work.  Does the physical size of the area being served require a mesh network?

p.s. A number of people have reported using Orbi with LTE modems that provide internet over a cellular signal.  (vacation homes, etc.)

Message 2 of 7
cyclejim
Aspirant

Hello CrimpOn,

Thanks for the reply.  It would be used for a medical mission in El Salvador.  Approximately 60 doctors and nurses will intereact with a php web site being run on an Mac Apache server to track the patients.  Last year we used a Netgear router and extender, but had some issues with the the number of users connecting to the range extender.  So a mesh network with 3 units should be an improvement.

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Orbi has a limit, but it is much greater than 60.  Good luck!

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

The Orbi certainly can be set up and tested before the trip, maybe not with 60 users but certainly to obtain "proof of concept."

I searched for differences in WiFi channels between US and El Salvador.  Wikipedia had nothing, but Juniper Networks shows El Salvador as allowing 2.4G channels 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13 (The US does not allow 12 & 13, so the US Orbi may not be aware of 12 & 13.)

5G channels are: 36 40 44 48 52 56 60 64 149 153 157 161 165,  whereas the US allows 36 40 44 48 52 56 60 64 100 104 108 112 116 120 124 128 132 136 140 149 153 157 161 165 .  (100 through 144 are used by weather radar and if Orbi decides to use them, it has to check for radar signals and change channels if it detects them.)  My Orbi picked channel 48 for the user 5G devices and 157 for the backhaul radio, which would work in El Salvador.

Since this is a new purchase, I would register the product and immediately put in a call to Netgear to ask them, "How do I take this to El Salvador?"  New systems get 90 days free support, and the link to that support is on the registration page.

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Heck, for what you are doing, Netgear should give you an Orbi that is set up for El Salvador.

Message 6 of 7
cyclejim
Aspirant

Thanks for all of the info!  I'll pick up an Orbi system and give it a go.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7