Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi won't keep new name I give it

dchbbc
Apprentice

Orbi won't keep new name I give it

Hi. I have the RBK44 Orbi. Using the app I changed the names of the sattelites so I could tell which was which. I save the new name and go back to the home page and the new name is there but in a few seconds it changes back to the default name. Any idea why and how to fix this?

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 9

Why do you need to do this?

Isn't the idea of the Orbi technology that you have the same SSID throughout? Mine does.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe he wants to change the name of the satellites that appear on the mobile App is all.

@michaelkenward wrote:

Why do you need to do this?

Isn't the idea of the Orbi technology that you have the same SSID throughout? Mine does.

Message 4 of 9

OK. So not the SSIDs?

But which app? Orbi? Netgear? Nighthawk?

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I think is just the generic name of the satellites. So one could name it for the location where it's at, i.e. LivingRoom Satellite etc.

I presume it's the Orbi app since he has the Orbi system.

Message 6 of 9

All of these apps can see devices on the network.

I find it easier to change names "at the desktop", with the browser GUI or with the desktop (Windows) app.

This then rolls out to the various android apps.

Message 7 of 9
dchbbc
Apprentice

Thanks for all of the comments. I got it figured out last night. I was changing them on the Orbi App. I didn't know I could do it from the desktop. That worked from there. Actually I had to do it from my ipad because when I would log in on my PC (Windows 10) if I tried explorer or Chrome it would say I wasn't on the Orbi Network even if I cleared the cache as they suggested. Strangely my PC in the kitchen would allow me to and all of my stuff is on the same network with the same settings.

The reason I wanted to change the names was for some reason my Brother Printer searches for a SSID and was showing 4 SSID all name the same (in my case, DavidHome) and I wanted to have it using the Orbi closest to it to get the best signal. I plugged each one in one at a time so I could tell what room they were in to name them.

On a different note, why would my PC that is a foot from the Orbi router being using the Orbi Satellite signal from my livingroom that is 20 feet away? Maybe I don't understand how this works. The Orbi in my bedroom says nothing is connected to it and my thermostat is very close to it. Is there a way to force things to use a certain satellite?

As long as it's working I guess I'm OK.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

You might reboot the PC or disconnect its wireless adapter temporarily then try to re-connect. It may have picked the farther signal vs close. It's all how the wireless adapter is set up to pick signals. Maybe too close and the adapter doesn't like it.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7