Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi working in router mode with FIOS

Chi7
Star

Orbi working in router mode with FIOS

I don’t know what I didn’t but it seem so to be working in router mode rather than AP mode.   I wanted to maintain full app functionality like pausing my kids devices if necessary and seeing who’s connected to my network.   All I did was reset the FIOS actiontec router which is Ethernet from FIOS ONT.  logged into actiontec and turned off wireless.   Plugged the orbi in via Ethernet, logged into the website, not the app and switched it from ap to router.   Everything seems to be working.   Full WiFi speed, all fios tv content, on demand, widgets, and tv caller ID.  

Thoughts?   Any problems anyone foresees?   

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi working in router mode with FIOS

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

30 feet is recommended in between the base router and satellite(s) to begin with depending upon building materials.

Message 2 of 4
Chi7
Star

Sorry.  Typo, I mean that it IS working in router mode.  Done without doing any changes to the factory reset FIOS Actiontec moca router other than disabling the wifi radio.  

I ask, because I know it's not supposed to work this way and the Orbi should be in AP mode, but right now, I don't have any conneciton or stability issues.  Hence, was wondering if there are any potential problems, now or in the near future.  

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

You can use #2 and it will work. It will work if you have another router in front of the Orbi. Just needs to be a different IP address between them and to avoid internet connection issue and being in a double NAT condition with you are now, use the FIOS modems DMZ for the Orbi router while in router mode.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7