Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi works then does not work

Sdspark58
Tutor

Orbi works then does not work

Bought this a few months ago and at first seems to always work fine. Now everyone claims the Wi-Fi sucks. At time some devices work fine while others are connected but it’s like the internet is out. Like right now I’m typing this with the Wi-Fi off on my phone cause nothing will load but one of my sone is playing xbox I like and that’s working fine. Any help would be great.

Also when in the orbi app I try and update firmware and it always fails. On 2.2.1.210
Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

The most recent firmware upgrades did help. try to do so manually.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK22.aspx

here's how:

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-Satellite

To manually update the firmware on your Orbi router and satellite, follow these high level steps:

1. Download the firmware for both your Orbi router and satellite.
  2. Update the firmware on your Orbi satellite.
  3. Update the firmware on your Orbi router.

To download the firmware for your Orbi router and satellite:

1. Download the firmware for your Orbi satellite from the NETGEAR Download Center, save it to your desktop, and unzip the file if needed.
  2. Using a computer that is connected to your Orbi router via an Ethernet cable (wired), launch a web browser from a computer.
    Note: Do not use a computer that is connected wirelessly to the router to upload the firmware. A wireless firmware update might corrupt the router’s firmware, rendering it unusable.
  3. Enter http://orbilogin.com.
  4. Enter the user name and password.
    Note: The user name is admin. Enter the password that you created during initial setup. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
  5. Click Advanced > Administration > Firmware Update.
  6. Click the Manual Update tab.
    The firmware update page displays.
    Note: We recommend that you always update the firmware on your Orbi satellite(s) first, and then update your router. Do not update the firmware on your Orbi router and satellite at the same time.

To update the firmware on your Orbi satellite, do the following:

1. Select the check box next to your satellite's model name.
  2. Click the Update button.
    The Orbi satellite Firmware Update window opens.
  3. If the browser asks you for the admin password, enter the same password you entered for the Orbi router.
  4. Click the BROWSE button, then locate and select the file that ends in .img or .chk on your desktop.
    Be careful not to select the wrong file.
  5. Click the UPLOAD button to upload the firmware file.
    It takes a few minutes to complete the process.
  6. After Orbi satellite finishes updating, select Status and double check the firmware version on the Status page.
    The firmware on your Orbi satellite is updated.

To update the firmware on your Orbi router, do the following:

1. Return to http://orbilogin.com.
    The BASIC Home page displays.
  2. Go back to the Firmware Update page:
    1. Select ADVANCED > Administration > Firmware Update.
    2. Click the Manual Update tab.
    3. Click the Browse button, then locate and select the file that ends in .img on your desktop.
      Be careful not to select the wrong file.
    4. Click the UPLOAD button to upload the firmware file.
      It takes a few minutes to finish the process.
      The page adjusts.
    5. Click the YES button to continue.
    6. After the Orbi router finishes updating, double check the firmware version in the upper-right corner.
      The firmware on your Orbi router is updated.
Message 2 of 6
DickDuke
Apprentice

Also be mindful of satellite/router placement. If they are too far apart, or if WiFi devices are too far away, that will impact performance. Also if there are too many walls or any metal screens between them that will significantly degrade your signal.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 4 of 6
Sdspark58
Tutor

2500 sq ft. They are on different floors apx 30 to 40’ apart. But signal is not just lost on satalite it’s the whole system. A device can be connected to the satellite and work fine and a device on the main router will all the sudden stop working while another device on the main works fine.
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

I would also try to get the FW updated. You need to update the RBS first, then the RBR lastly. 

@Sdspark58 wrote:
2500 sq ft. They are on different floors apx 30 to 40’ apart. But signal is not just lost on satalite it’s the whole system. A device can be connected to the satellite and work fine and a device on the main router will all the sudden stop working while another device on the main works fine.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7