Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi

GuyVerachtert
Aspirant

Orbi

Hi Everyone,

When using an orbi with satelites, are the satelites choosing what AP the client device should connect to, or are the client devices "roaming" thru the network ?

Kind regards,

Guy

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Based on signal, quality and noise, clients will choose the frequency and which wireless source to connect too. 

Message 2 of 7
GuyVerachtert
Aspirant

thank you for your reply.

So if a device does not support roaming, the mesh network has no advantage ?

kind regards,

Guy

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Only for roaming. To get a device to connect to any particular wifi course, the devices wifi radio would need to be temporarily turned off then back on. 

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

(I hit the wrong button, and the option to "Edit Post" seems to have disappeared.)

@GuyVerachtert wrote:

So if a device does not support roaming, the mesh network has no advantage ?

In my case, the vastly superior separate 5G backhaul channel was a big draw.  Investing in "WiFi extenders" does not produce the same coverage area or throughput.  And, I do not know if they "roam", but our smartphones and tablets appear to move between the router and satellite automatically.

Message 6 of 7
GuyVerachtert
Aspirant

Thank you all for the reply !

I understand the advantages, but i have a very perticular use case...

I have a medical device that will connect once to a wifi network, and only reconnect if you switch it off and on again.

Since a was not sure if the functionality came from the sattelites switching the clients around, or the clients switching AP's i had to ask 🙂

thanks !

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7