Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi

Orbi555
Aspirant

Orbi

Can I use an orbi satellite with the Nighthawk X6 as the base?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi

@Orbi555 wrote:

Sorry, no.  Orbi satellites are designed to be used only with the Orbi router.  They get the SSID/password information from the Orbi router.  There is no way to configure a satellite by itself.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@Orbi555 wrote:

Sorry, no.  Orbi satellites are designed to be used only with the Orbi router.  They get the SSID/password information from the Orbi router.  There is no way to configure a satellite by itself.

Message 2 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

If you want a extender for your X6 router, then you would need to review the EX8000 extender that would be the match for your router. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX8000.aspx

@Orbi555 wrote:

Message 3 of 14
Orbi555
Aspirant

Many thanks for the confirmation. 

I have the NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 and everything is working well.

i was intending to replace with the Orbi RBK20 System (to extend the signal into a deadspot) but on setting up the orbi router I’m getting multiple network issues, such as not downloading updates and sign in issues. 

Message 4 of 14
Orbi555
Aspirant

Thanks for the help.  

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like your connecting the Orbi system to the back end of the R8000 router? If so, then you would need to disable the wifi on the R8000 router as the Orbi should be able to cover most of what your trying to do on it's own. The Orbi could replace the R8000 as the main host router.

If your using the R8000 as your primary router, then you should configure the Orbi for AP mode and the Orbi already has a built in router and the R8000 is a router already. Having two routers on the same line will cause problems. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 6 of 14
Orbi555
Aspirant

Thanks FURRYe38,

i was planning to retire the X6 and replace it with the Orbi.

The house size is not particularly the issue, there’s an upstairs which suffers from a deadspot with the X6 that I hope to resolve with the Orbi system. 

I’m currently in a rented house and the modem is not known to me unfortunately. 

When I set up the Orbi I started having the kind of issues I described in the earlier post.

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Any chance of finding out what modem info is? 

Modem can cause problems so we hope to figure it out. 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 8 of 14
Orbi555
Aspirant

I’ll try, could take a little while, maybe tomorrow. 

Not many WiFi nieighbours nearby, just 1. 

Message 9 of 14
Orbi555
Aspirant

Hi all,

ok, done a little digging.

The internet is a wireless internet service provider type with a receiver box to a POE box.

From the POE box there’s a LAN cable which is what plugs into the Nighthawk X6 currently. 

Does this type of setup support the Orbi?

I think the Orbi needs a modem in front but the set up here doesn’t have this. 

Message 10 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem/ONT is preferred however if the R8000 is running well in that configuration, the Orbi should as well. Try it and see. 

Is there any kind of ISP account settings input in the R8000 router or just does it connect when connected to this ISP box to the WAN port on the R8000? 

If the Orbi fails to connect, then you could keep the R8000 online as your main host router and use the Orbi in AP mode. Or you can use the R8000's DMZ for the Orbi in router mode. 

Message 11 of 14
royanna
Aspirant

Hi. I'm always terrified to ask for assistance here or respond because I get so "tongue tied" and because I'm not as tech literate as everyone else I can't properly explain what I'm trying to say but here I go.

I too kind a have had the same issue almost for as long as I've had my netgear. I first started out with the Orbi RBK40 (which in reading today I found out that I was advised wrong and I should have never purchased because I've have internet speed of over 150m and more 20 devices and it's always been that way.) about 2 yrs. ago and had it installed by a Netgear expert. It worked great. It was money well spent. Then the a storm came, no electricity, cable messed up, Orbi and internet never ever the same again up to present day. So last summer, I just couldn't take cable coming here literally every other week trying new things, so I purchased a Nighthawk r8000 which was supposed to help the situation. I couldn't afford the technician this time nor the warranty but I did have call both your 800 numbers (Orbi and Nighthawk) several times for assistance even doing factory resets on both. I have explained to them and I think even on here that I live in a 100yr. old home. It is 4 stories and they have very bad firewalls which are hard to get anything through. My room is the center location for all equipment. Now when the Netgear man came and configured things the Orbi did well. The Nighthawk has never been configured correctly and when I asked for the question to both customer services about which way would benefit better, having the nighthawk as router and the orbi as the AP or vice versa. I need both security and speed because I virtually homeschool and have a special needs child at home with security surrounding that. I received a half answer a few times to my answer but what your staff eventually came up with has caused many problems all on its own because I know it's not supposed to be like this But...I was told to put it in the wrong hole on the back of the Orbi and I have 2 ip addresses. So when I had this last service call in Thursday 5-2-19, the cable man did what he could do but told me to my configurations straight with Netgear 1st before they can help me. The speeds are up between 44-113m and that's not acceptable when I usually get anywhere between 199-220m. I needs someone who can look through my records and see what I've been told and see what's really wrong and to transferring constantly. I understand they are different products but I feel that they aren't talking to each or leaving detailed notes of transferred calls. I feel like I have lost 2yrs. and almost a year of a great product, it services, my internet. Please, Please Assist Me! I hope I explained everything correctly. Lastly, because no one has ever explained this to me successfully. So 2yrs. ago when I purchased this particular Orbi I did so on the premise that it was a TRI-BAND but what about is tri- band. I can't divide it into 3 bands like I can with my X8000 and if I can how do you do it and if I can't why is it called a Tri-Band? I know this is long, thanks so much for your time and advice.
Message 12 of 14

That's a long and complicated story.

You might do better to start your own discussion – that's a better way of getting the attention of the Netgear people – and then to keep it down to what is broken so that the fellow users here can home in on the relevant details.

My first observation is that we need to know if this storm killed your Netgear stuff. If it just took out the power and didn't wreck the electronics it could be a simple case of setting up the stuff from scratch.

If you do start the process from scratch  it might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful.

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Please make a new post with this information. 

@royanna wrote:
Hi. I'm always terrified to ask for assistance here or respond because I get so "tongue tied" and because I'm not as tech literate as everyone else I can't properly explain what I'm trying to say but here I go.

I too kind a have had the same issue almost for as long as I've had my netgear. I first started out with the Orbi RBK40 (which in reading today I found out that I was advised wrong and I should have never purchased because I've have internet speed of over 150m and more 20 devices and it's always been that way.) about 2 yrs. ago and had it installed by a Netgear expert. It worked great. It was money well spent. Then the a storm came, no electricity, cable messed up, Orbi and internet never ever the same again up to present day. So last summer, I just couldn't take cable coming here literally every other week trying new things, so I purchased a Nighthawk r8000 which was supposed to help the situation. I couldn't afford the technician this time nor the warranty but I did have call both your 800 numbers (Orbi and Nighthawk) several times for assistance even doing factory resets on both. I have explained to them and I think even on here that I live in a 100yr. old home. It is 4 stories and they have very bad firewalls which are hard to get anything through. My room is the center location for all equipment. Now when the Netgear man came and configured things the Orbi did well. The Nighthawk has never been configured correctly and when I asked for the question to both customer services about which way would benefit better, having the nighthawk as router and the orbi as the AP or vice versa. I need both security and speed because I virtually homeschool and have a special needs child at home with security surrounding that. I received a half answer a few times to my answer but what your staff eventually came up with has caused many problems all on its own because I know it's not supposed to be like this But...I was told to put it in the wrong hole on the back of the Orbi and I have 2 ip addresses. So when I had this last service call in Thursday 5-2-19, the cable man did what he could do but told me to my configurations straight with Netgear 1st before they can help me. The speeds are up between 44-113m and that's not acceptable when I usually get anywhere between 199-220m. I needs someone who can look through my records and see what I've been told and see what's really wrong and to transferring constantly. I understand they are different products but I feel that they aren't talking to each or leaving detailed notes of transferred calls. I feel like I have lost 2yrs. and almost a year of a great product, it services, my internet. Please, Please Assist Me! I hope I explained everything correctly. Lastly, because no one has ever explained this to me successfully. So 2yrs. ago when I purchased this particular Orbi I did so on the premise that it was a TRI-BAND but what about is tri- band. I can't divide it into 3 bands like I can with my X8000 and if I can how do you do it and if I can't why is it called a Tri-Band? I know this is long, thanks so much for your time and advice.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7