Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi

Mbluman
Aspirant

Orbi

How do I move a camera from 5 ghz to 2.4 ghz?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi

There is more than one way to interpret this question.  (a) the camera is working fine connected to  5G channel, but you would prefer that it connects to the 2.4G channel, or (b) you cannot configure the camera and believe that the Orbi 5G is interfering with the process.

(a) or (b)?

What brand and model of camera is it?

Message 2 of 14
Mbluman
Aspirant

It is a Wyze camera and it automatically connects to the 5 ghz but will not work. The Wyze people advised to switch it onto the 2.4 ghz but I cannot figure out how to do that.
Message 3 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

Which specific Wyze camera?

Thanks

Message 4 of 14
Mbluman
Aspirant

The first gen stationary one. I forgot the model type.
Message 5 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

I ask because there appear to be only two Wyze WiFi cameras and neither of them can connect to a 5G network.  (The detailed specs are very clear on the product web page:, https://www.wyze.com/wyze-cam/

"WiFi 802.11 b/g/n 2.4GHz (Does not support 5GHz network) Supports WPA and WPA2 protocols". 

What this means is (literally) the Wyze camera cannot possibly detect a 5G WiFi signal.  It cannot possibly connect at 5G.

I personally own the $19.99 Wyze Cam, and it connected immediately to my Orbi RBR50 at 2.4G the way it is supposed to and is working now.  I used the Android smartphone app to set it up, look at the live feed, and view recordings.

So, the support person at Wyze was "misinformed" (to put the kindest slant on it).  To be more brutal, he was full of s**t.

Now, having vented, there is obviously a problem with getting the Wyze camera to work.  What specifically is the error?  Or, at what point in the setup does it fail?

Message 6 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

I actually purchased my Wyze Cam because back in May there was a discussion about installing a Wyze Cam:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Does-the-Orbi-Mini-Router-RBR40-offer-a-2-4GHz-option/m-p/1756...

Message 7 of 14
Mbluman
Aspirant

The backyard pool camera is connected to 5ghz. The other pic is the message I get in the Wyze app. I appreciate you trying to assist on this but I’m stumped. I’ve tried disconnecting and reconnecting but always ends up on the 5ghz.
Message 8 of 14
Mbluman
Aspirant

The view from Orbi app.
Message 9 of 14
Mbluman
Aspirant

I have 3 other cameras running just fine. This one was working a while ago but then it got on the 5ghz and won’t let go of it.
Message 10 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

Oh, dear.  Since the Wyze Cam has no 5G radio, it cannot connect to a 5G WiFi.  It appears you have a desktop PC.  Please connect to the Orbi web interface (either "orbilogin.com" or 192.168.1.1), enter the user ID "admin" and the administrative password (not the WiFi password), and bring up the Attached Devices page.

I have seen reports that the smartphone Orbi app is sometimes incorrect about the type of connection.

It also appears that the smartphone is trying to connect over the mobile network (LTE).  Was the Wyze camera set up using WiFi, and did it work at that time?

Message 11 of 14
Mbluman
Aspirant

I’ll have to give all of this a try when I return home. It was all completed using WiFi at my home. I’m traveling not and grabbed screen shots from my remote login to everything. I’ll report back tomorrow. Thank you again for your help.
Message 12 of 14
ekhalil
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

.......  Since the Wyze Cam has no 5G radio, it cannot connect to a 5G WiFi.  .......

@Mbluman Do you have a repeater of any type that the camera is attaching to on the 2.4 GHz?

Can it be that repeater (or some other device in between the camera and Orbi) is attaching to Orbi on 5 GHz and the camera is attaching to that device on 2.4 GHz?

You can easily confirm this by checking the MAC address shown in the Orbi app and compare it with the MAC address of the camera.

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You can disable the 5Ghz SSID temporarily to see if the camera will connect  to the 2.4Ghz radio SSID. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. If you try this, see if the camera connects, if it fails to work even on 2.4Ghz, then there maybe problem with the camera sicne your other cameras are working. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7