Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi

SGoettler
Aspirant

Orbi

I purchase the Orbi system because I have an office in a different building on my property.  It is about 15 feet away from the corner of the house where the satellite is located..  The signal strength in my office buidling is 1 bar and is not good enough quality for video conference.   So, will another satellite inside the office provide the coverage for the office?  

I'm pretty disappointed in the speed they are providing.   I need to determine what it will take to get connectivity in my office and then determine if I want to keep these if I'm getting the speed they can produce.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi

Which Orbi model did you purchase? 20 or 50 series? 

Building materials will effect wifi signal travel. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

You may want to look in to buried LAN cable from the home out to the office building then place a RBS there. 

Message 2 of 6
SGoettler
Aspirant

House is 1720 sq ft.  Router and Satellite are about 35' apart.  There is no color on the satellite.  When it powers on it is clear and then it goes off.  

I assume the 20 series since it is RBR20 and RBW30, it is not the RBS.

The satellite is in the further corner of the house that is closest to my office.  

Inside the house my PC always connects to the satellite which shows full signal strength.  When I go into my office it drops off to 1 bar.  

I updated the firmware today on the router and it shows the satellite is up to date.

Besides burying a cable what are my options?  If I go back to a cable, I will go back to use the Nighthawk non-mesh.  It is a better router IMHO.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

If the Office building is on the same power circuit as the home, it maybe not be, you could try Power Line adapters. They have to be on the same power circuit to work correctly. 

The RBW probably isn't strong enough to get signal thru two walls at that distance. 

Message 4 of 6
SGoettler
Aspirant

The buildlings are on different power feeds.

That's not good news the RBW20 is not strong enough when someone on here recommended that for me.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I think the 50 series has more power. 

You could try adding another RBS20 to feed off the RBR, the daisy chain the RBW placed in the office to feed off the RBS20.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7