Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi20 - Setting up satellite over cat6 in no WiFi area

SBink
Initiate

Orbi20 - Setting up satellite over cat6 in no WiFi area

Hi all,

Looking for some guidance. I'm in a newly built house with thick concrete floors and lots of insulation which prevents the WiFi signal from reaching the 2nd storey (bedrooms).

I have an Orbi-20 + Satellite. The Orbi router is connected directly to the incoming Broadband and I have a NETGEAR JFS524 (10/100mb) switch connected to teh router to activate the Cat6 ports around the house. 

When I have the satellite set up downstairs it connects over WiFi and works as it should.

When I try and set up the Orbi Satellite upstairs (no wifi signal) via a cat6 point upstairs it doesnt connect to the network.

Any idea what could be the problem and how to get the satellite to work over the cat6 cabling in order to extend the wifi to the bedrooms?

I already tried different Cat6 cables to no effect.

Many thanks,

Stefan

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi20 - Setting up satellite over cat6 in no WiFi area

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Is the RBR and RBS both connected to the switch? 

Can you connect the RBS while in the same room with the RBR to see if the RBS works there as a quick test? 

Your Switch is limiting by it's LAN speeds of 100Mbps. The Orbi system is 1000Mbps supporting. It's recommended to swap out this switch your using and install a 1000Mbps supporting switch. 

Daisy Chain should be disabled. 

If the RBS fails to broadcast any wifi, it's possible the RBS is faulty. 

@SBink wrote:

Hi all,

Looking for some guidance. I'm in a newly built house with thick concrete floors and lots of insulation which prevents the WiFi signal from reaching the 2nd storey (bedrooms).

I have an Orbi-20 + Satellite. The Orbi router is connected directly to the incoming Broadband and I have a NETGEAR JFS524 (10/100mb) switch connected to teh router to activate the Cat6 ports around the house. 

When I have the satellite set up downstairs it connects over WiFi and works as it should.

When I try and set up the Orbi Satellite upstairs (no wifi signal) via a cat6 point upstairs it doesnt connect to the network.

Any idea what could be the problem and how to get the satellite to work over the cat6 cabling in order to extend the wifi to the bedrooms?

I already tried different Cat6 cables to no effect.

Many thanks,

Stefan

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@SBink wrote:

Have you tried connecting the satellite to the router with a Cat6 patch cable in the same room?

Message 3 of 8
ekhalil
Master

@SBink wrote:

To make sure that the cable is ok, will a computer have internet access when connected to the cat6 cable upstairs in place of the satellite?

There must be some cabling issues somewhere.

Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@ekhalil wrote:

To make sure that the cable is ok, will a computer have internet access when connected to the cat6 cable upstairs in place of the satellite?

That is a really good test of the cable.  Another would be to connect the Orbi router directly to the internal Cat6 wiring, thus takiing the switch out of the picture.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Connecting the RBS directly to the RBR was mentioned in the initial responce to the users post. 

His switch is no really recomended as it's only a 100Mbps switch and could also be a hub vs a switch. Hub would make things really interesting. Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 8
SBink
Initiate

Thank you all for the suggestion so far.  

Just to be clear the switch is connected to the router. Not the otherway round. The internet connection coming into the house is directly patched into the Orbi router. The switch is connected to teh Orbi ethernet port to activate the ports around the house.

Downstairs the cat points seem to be working as the SKY Q boxes have internet access since I connected the cat6 cables. I believe SKY Q boxes have 100mbps cards which would be compatible with switch speed. (100mb to 100md devices work.)

I tried patching a Cat point cable directly to the router and then connect the satellite to that point to no affect. Effectively this should connect the satellite to the router directly through ethernet. 

I'll validate the Cat6 points around the house to be sure but I'm suspecting the switch might need to be a gigabit speed one.

Any recommendations for a 16-port to buy (normal money - not crazy money)

Cheers

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Try NGs GS316...

Be sure to use good quality LAN cables. Swap out lan cables to be sure. Try the RBS wirelessly connected to the RBR first while near the same room as the RBR. Then, after you get the top ring to turn BLUE on the RBS, connect the ethernet cable between the RBR and RBS. Wait about 5 minutes and see if the top ring led turns BLUE on the RBS. 

Let us know

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7