Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi22W

Orbi22W

I have a device (wireless grill controller) that uses a handoff from my phone (iOS 12.1) to join the network. The device is 2.4 Ghz capable only. Can I create a 2.4G only SSID? Alternatively, can I force my phone to 2.4 GHz at least login enough to do this handoff thing?
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi22W

Orbi doesn't support seperate SSIDs. 

Orbi connects devices to the most appropriate frequency based on device support. So if your device supports only 2.4ghz, it should connect to the 2.4Ghz radio of the Orbi. 

Message 2 of 12

Welp, here is step one of the controller’s setup process

1. If you have a dual band router, ensure you have separate network names, or SSIDs, for the 2.4 and 5.0 bands (aka 2.4 and 5.0Ghz signal, frequency, network, or radio). In order to reconnect the split networks later we want to rename the 5.0 signal and not the 2.4 signal. This allows reconsolidation without losing the grill from the WiFi network.

Can I temporarily disable the 5Ghz radio in the Orbi?

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

No. You can turn down the power output of the 5Ghz radio from 100% to say 25% and see if that helps. 

Just curious, what is the purpose of this wireless grill device? 

Message 4 of 12
schumaku
Guru

The Grill IoT vendor (https://www.rectecgrills.com/wi-fi-set-up/) seems to be concerned that the mobile device with the App and the Grill controller are on the same radio (same band). Most discovery processes make use if IP broadcast or IGMP multicast - where a modern wireless device like the Orbi system can be considered transparent. Some buggy routers (this includes some Netgear units) are blocking IP broadcast or IGMP multicast 2.4GHz<->5GHz for example.

Message 5 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@SilentService wrote:

This can probably help:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/HOW-TO-DISABLE-5G-TEMPORARILY-ON-ORBI-ROUTER/m-p/1469365

Or the following summary steps:

Power off the satellites.

Go to:

http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm

Check "Enable Telnet"

Open the Terminal application on the MAC

nc orbilogin.com 23

Enter your Orbi router username (admin) and your password at the prompts.  (admin/password is the default)

Paste the following in to disable 5G for a set amount of seconds.  This is 300 for now (5 minutes).

seconds=300; x=0; while [ $x -lt $seconds ]; do ip link set down dev $(config get wl5g_NORMAL_AP); x=$(( x + 1 )); echo "down $x"; sleep 1; done

Use "Weather Connect" to pair your station.  You have 5 minutes if you used the nc (telnet) command above.

Go to:

http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm

UnCheck "Enable Telnet"

Power on the satellites.

Message 6 of 12
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Rec Tec: Mesh networks represent their own Pandora's Box, but we've opened that box and found the outlandish patch for the mesh network conundrum. The first step to conquering this task is to find the edge of the signal from your mesh network. This entails walking away from the router until you lose connection to the network. Next, come back into range of the network and forget it from your saved networks. Now, while still on the fringe of the network, get just close enough to find the network and reconnect to it. While staying on the fringe of the network reconnect to the grill. At this point you should leave your phone in the fringe range and achieve a quick blink state from the LED on the grill. Back at your phone, on your mesh network, complete the WiFi Setup process. 

Message 7 of 12
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

By the way, the above probably works best woth 5 GHz turned way down on Orbi. Some other devices have a different work around where you connect to the device with your phone then hand off manually to the router, but I could not find that with Rec Tec.

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe the easiest method would be to  turn down the power output of the 5Ghz radio from 100% to say 25% and see if that helps while you attempt to get your device connected.

@SilentService wrote:

Welp, here is step one of the controller’s setup process

1. If you have a dual band router, ensure you have separate network names, or SSIDs, for the 2.4 and 5.0 bands (aka 2.4 and 5.0Ghz signal, frequency, network, or radio). In order to reconnect the split networks later we want to rename the 5.0 signal and not the 2.4 signal. This allows reconsolidation without losing the grill from the WiFi network.

Message 9 of 12

"Just curious, what is the purpose of this wireless grill device? "

Sorry for the long delay, thanks for your input on my issue. 

The grill controller connects to my phone, shows me temperatures in the pit, and temperature outputs from 2 meat probles.  More importantly it, allows me to startup/shutdown and adjust the temperature setpoint of my wood pellet smoker/grill.

Message 10 of 12

Thank you!  I don't have a Mac, but have enabled telnet on my win 10 PC.  Going to try this later this morning.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@SilentService wrote:

Thank you!  I don't have a Mac, but have enabled telnet on my win 10 PC.  Going to try this later this morning.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7