Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi72 rbs20 signal

Cashpops
Aspirant

Orbi72 rbs20 signal

Hello all. Question I'm curious.

I have my order router onto it my kitchen cabinets hidden away. Wired to my Netgear 12 port router. I then have my orbit satellite also wired from the router onto the basement. So essentially my orbi system is hardwired.

My question is, is this an option for the orbi system to function as such, or does it revert to a wireless system regardless of being hard wired?

Feel free to ask other questions so I can help you, help me!

Thank you
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Re: Orbi72 rbs20 signal

Sorry it is unclear how you are wired up. Not sure if you are talking about routers or routers and switches. Basic wired hook up if you are using an existing router plus Orbis is: Original router to Orbi router. Orbi in AP mode. Orbi Satelite connected to Orbi router port. Should then work as wired system with Orbi router acting as an AP with original router controlling and satelite using wired backhaul. Wait for it. 

If it is not convenient for the Orbi satelite to be directly wired to the Orbi router, then you need to go wireless for the satelite.

If you are talking about a 12 port switch then it most likely is a managed switch. You could just go from your older router to the Orbi if you have ports. Going through a managed switch is a whole other subject, which many threads can be found here in the community forum.

Message 2 of 6
Cashpops
Aspirant

Sorry for the confusion. Not a computer expect by any means.

Outside feed going into my modem. From my modem I send the signal to a Tp-link unmanaged 12 port switch. From there, I have one line going to my orbi router. Another from the switch to the orbi satellite at another area of the house.

Hopefully that gives you a bit more information. It sounds like regardless of the router and satellite being wired, they are communicating with each other wirelessly.
Message 3 of 6
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Oh. OK. You can hook the satelite to the switch or directly to the Orbi router. You should then be good with wired backhaul. Makes sure you have updated firmware, if needed update satelite first, then router. Not sure if your modem is a strict modem or a modem / router. If the latter you need to choose between bridge mode on the modem / router, defeating its router capability, or choose the AP mode on Orbi if the modem is a modem / router and you want it to be the main router. Otherwise, if it is a straight modem, you should be good to go.

Message 4 of 6
st_shaw
Master

@Cashpops wrote:
 It sounds like regardless of the router and satellite being wired, they are communicating with each other wirelessly.

No. If the Orbi satellites are wired to the Orbi router then the satellites and router communicate using wired Ethernet.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7