Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.1

bsorrent
Guide

I have a similiar question to others.  What order should I use to update the satellites and then do I update the satelites first and then the router?  I have received conflicting advice from phone support.  Please advise.  Satellites before router?  Order of update of satellites (closest  or furthest from router)?  

Message 26 of 372
larryindublin
Luminary

@bsorrent wrote:

I have a similiar question to others.  What order should I use to update the satellites and then do I update the satelites first and then the router?  I have received conflicting advice from phone support.  Please advise.  Satellites before router?  Order of update of satellites (closest  or furthest from router)?  

Their own documentation very clearly says "Satellites" then "Router". That's the way I've always done it.

Message 27 of 372
nXXo
Apprentice

satellite first router second like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=agJ7iDckjZc

Message 28 of 372
jmschnur923
Luminary

the video does not tell us which sat needs to be updated first. Close or far?

Model: RBK52W| Orbi Router + 2 Wall-Plugs Orbi WiFi System, RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 29 of 372
nXXo
Apprentice

Message 30 of 372
jmschnur923
Luminary

This still does not say which one first.

close or far.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 31 of 372
nXXo
Apprentice

it's a joke, you can read Men ?

Click the Manual Update tab.
The Firmware Update page displays.
Note: We recommend that you always update the firmware on your Orbi satellite(s) first, and then update your Orbi router. Also, do not update the Orbi router's and satellite's firmware at the same time.

Message 32 of 372
tagteam
Virtuoso

jmschnur923 wrote:

This still does not say which one first.

It really does not matter. In fact, you can update the satellites at the same time simply by checking the box next to each one on the manual update page in the router UI.

Message 33 of 372

For non daisy-chain configs (how I run mine):  satellites first, then router

For daisy-chain configs (speculating, but the approach makes sense in my head):  I'd start at the furthest one out and work my way back towards the router, with router last.

Message 34 of 372
Greystorm64
Apprentice

CPU

So, I wonder... If I have 1 iPad streaming some YouTube and 1 PC conducting a VoIP call and some email traffice.... should that push the router to 47%?  seems pretty steady at that rate.

Seems pretty high.

Any tool out there I can use to analyze the traffic and who is generating the traffic on my network?  besides putting a big ole packet sniffer on?  which would only work if I am a span-port anywah... which the RBR50 doesn't have

Message 35 of 372
vanclan8
Aspirant

Files are corrupted. Can't download.

Message 36 of 372
fitsnugly
Star

Been checking on things remotely, I know that the system uptime has reset at least 3 times in 8 hours.  I'm reverting back to 2.1.1.16.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 37 of 372
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are you saying that .16 was more stable for you? I doubt there is any basis for that from what was done in this update. I would try to re-appy the updates of the 2.1.2.10 beta again overtop of the existing and see if you get more stability that way.

Also maybe try unchecking UPNP as I found previously that has helped my Orbi stability.

I'm not having any reboots - but then again I never had any with 2.1.1.16 either - what I did have with .16 was internet disconnects on Wifi devices. Too early to tell if that's been solved as that usually happens after a few days of running.

Message 38 of 372
spinkick
Apprentice

Where are the LED controls?

Message 39 of 372
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

@mkenny28 Try the link again it or even copy the link directly into your browser.

DarrenM

Message 40 of 372
mkenny28
Apprentice

@DarrenM wrote:

@mkenny28 Try the link again it or even copy the link directly into your browser.

DarrenM

Ok the link is fixed but the file is a .chk file vs an .img file. I just saved it as All Fies with a .img extension and it worked fine.

Message 41 of 372

Upgrded to this latest beta firmware and first thing I have noticed is that devices that are closest to the Satelite and are still connecting to the router...

Message 42 of 372
rhester72
Virtuoso

@Orbi1Kenobi77 wrote:

Upgrded to this latest beta firmware and first thing I have noticed is that devices that are closest to the Satelite and are still connecting to the router...

If you have MU-MIMO enabled (or really just steering of any kind), it can be a funny thing - the dB of a signal literally bouncing off a wall from a far AP can actually be stronger than one of closer proximity.

Message 43 of 372

Only had Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices enabled. 

The rest is as per default settings.

Message 44 of 372
jmschnur923
Luminary

Might try a walk about to see what happens.

Message 45 of 372
fitsnugly
Star

@aaz wrote:

Are you saying that .16 was more stable for you? I doubt there is any basis for that from what was done in this update.

I'm glad you doubt my experience, but yes, in the aspect of the random reboots I'm experiencing (and you are not) .16 is far more stable than reboots every 1-3 hours.

Try empathsizing instead of negating the horrible user experience this product has given me and countless others.

Message 46 of 372
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@fitsnugly wrote:

@aaz wrote:

Are you saying that .16 was more stable for you? I doubt there is any basis for that from what was done in this update.

I'm glad you doubt my experience, but yes, in the aspect of the random reboots I'm experiencing (and you are not) .16 is far more stable than reboots every 1-3 hours.

Try empathsizing instead of negating the horrible user experience this product has given me and countless others.

Maybe english is not your first language, but I clearly said I doubt there is a basis in the firmware change to cause that, not that I doubt that you are experiencing it.

The reason I say I doubt there is a basis in the firmware change is that something else must have gone wrong during the update. I would try exporting your config and re-importing it, or possibly check all your settings and maybe toggle them before I would downgrade to a firmware that a lot of people have said is worse in terms of stability. I am quite good at troubeshooting technical issues and usually going back would be the last thing I would try after exhausting all other options and utilizing support as much as I can. I have also seen from netgear moderators that they are willing to accept support tickets for rebooting issues even past the free support period has ended if you would like to engage them.

Message 47 of 372
fitsnugly
Star

@aaz wrote:

Maybe english is not your first language

Ahhhh more condescending, how typical of internet support forums.  Perhaps you should stop assuming that others that are experiencing things that you aren't are not technically saavy or understanding of your "witty" and "intelligent" suggestions.  Perhaps they are explaining their experiences for the other numerous users that are experiencing the same things that, once again, you are not.

Once again, my router rebooting every couple of hours instead of every day or two is NOT more stable.  Once again, I shouldn't HAVE to toggle UPNP, even though I did already try it in my troubleshooting throughout the day.  Again, this product is still BROKEN for me as well as others.

Message 48 of 372
Blcklab
Apprentice

2.0.0.74 has been functioning well but I'll give this a go. I'm just going to update over 2.0.0.74. I won't reset my Orbi to default and start over. I've just updaed the satellite and then the the router and I'll monitor uptime with debug.htm

Message 49 of 372
orbirick
Apprentice

As regards the update order for a new firmware update, I understand to update the satellites first, then the router last for a manual update. And when I did an online update during my initial setup to update from the factory installed 1.12.0.18 to 2.0.0.74, I did the satellites first, then the router, iirc. Then I was able to manually update from 2.0.0.74 to 2.1.1.16 in the proper order. But I could not manually update straight from 1.12 to 2.1. I had to online update to 2.0 first.

But I'm curious, how does the auto-update process work in that same regard? Does the push update do the satellites first, then the router last?

Message 50 of 372
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7