Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.1

This latest beta update (2.1.2.10) has resolved all of the issues I was having with disconnects and with not showing devices connected to my 2 satellites.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 51 of 372
lowepg
Apprentice

Im re-reading the original message and I just want to confirm this beta does NOT address the bug where orbi wont save special characters in password, correct?

Message 52 of 372
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@lowepg wrote:

Im re-reading the original message and I just want to confirm this beta does NOT address the bug where orbi wont save special characters in password, correct?

That appears to be the case from the message, but if you are on 2.1.1.12 or 2.1.1.16, you don't have anything to lose by trying this one. I tried adding a $ in my guest password and that worked, but I have seen another user has trouble with extremely long passwords still.

Message 53 of 372
dpaugro
Tutor

I have just upgraded to 2.1.2.* on RBR40 and RBW30 satellites. Internet connection is stable. CPU observed so far lines up with what others have posted. Will apprise.

My only (tiny) complaint is there is no graphic setting for an assitant device like Echo or Home.

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 54 of 372
Blcklab
Apprentice

I had one restart at 2 hours. Debug shows system uptime of two hours but it definitely bumped some devices off because their addresses changed. 

I'm thinking of a reset. in real world shouldn't have to do this but since Netgear released a buggy update and we here are savvy enough I'll try it. Then it's back to .74. Even .74 improved with a reset.

Message 55 of 372
dpaugro
Tutor

Update: one of my satellites keeps showing a blue ring. Diagnosing.

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 56 of 372
dpaugro
Tutor

@dpaugro wrote:

Update: one of my satellites keeps showing a blue ring. Diagnosing.

I unplugged and replugged it. Blue light went away after a minute or two, which is longer than the stated 10 seconds on the KB site. I'm watching uptime on that satellite. The other satellite has not exhibited problems and uptime indicates no restarts since I upgraded firmware.

Message 57 of 372
Blcklab
Apprentice

Router rebooted after 3 hours. Back to .74. So frustrating

Message 58 of 372
PyroDog
Apprentice

Updated rotuer and satellite with great results!

Everything running smooth and attached devices now display correctly.

Message 59 of 372
allroadusa
Guide

Thanks for this beta firmware.

I gave it a shot because I add some random reboots (not much) and because the attached device list was wrong.

Updated to 2.1.2 one hour ago 2xRBS50 + 1xRBS40 + RBR50. Everything running smooth. So far so good. Attached device list is correct. I'll update my feedback after few days.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System, RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 60 of 372
dpdurst
Luminary

One of the less painful upgrades, everything went smooth. Devices connected right up the Sat and Router and information on connections are correct Will monitor

Message 61 of 372
scyu6058
Tutor

The upgrading to beta firmware was smooth.  Result was great so far.  Will try wired backhaul and report after a longer test.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 62 of 372
mad2
Guide

The issue seemingly related to Android phones is still present.  I installed the beta late last night and this morning the router rebooted when my Android phone alarm went off. 

Message 63 of 372
AF1E
Guide

Good until I used my Android phone and the system rebooted.  Android reboot issue is not fixed.

Message 64 of 372
morrisseysb
Apprentice

Installed the beta and went to a wired backhaul.  When I had the sat direct connected to the router...it kept going in and out of a status of Poor on the status page and the satelite kept flashing pink.  The strange thing is when I put my switch between the two...it has been stable and doesn't keep slipping into poor quality and flashing pink on the sat.  I think there's some work to be done on the wired backhaul still I should be able to hook them up direct.  When it was conected direct and i was able to run a speed test I got 5-10 was all..with the swith in place i get 250...this is on a wired connection to the satelite.   

Adding in an update..wireless speed tests connected to the sat which is wired to the router with the switch in between gave me about a 230 speed which is what i would expect.  so i am happy with that i would just like to direct wire the sat and the router and skip the switch in the midddle.  

Message 65 of 372
Blcklab
Apprentice

this has been worse than 2.1.1.16 in my case. Since updating last night, I've had 2 or 3 router reboots, 1 satellite reboot, and 1 maybe two dropping all wifi connections.

I did not reset the router after updating. I just updated and ran it. Need to work at home today so going back to 2.0.0.74

Message 66 of 372
fitsnugly
Star

@Blcklab wrote:

this has been worse than 2.1.1.16 in my case. Since updating last night, I've had 2 or 3 router reboots, 1 satellite reboot, and 1 maybe two dropping all wifi connections.

I had a mod PM me about having any Android 8.0 devices in my household because that fix is NOT in this beta, closest thing I have to an Android device is a Chromecast which wasn't turned on during my testing.  

Message 67 of 372
Blcklab
Apprentice

I do. However I haven't noticed getting "kicked off" when that device connects or wakes. Sometimes it runs fine. Sometimes not. Either way I need to use my phone at wifi where I live.

Message 68 of 372
wetherhold
Aspirant

Had all the reported problems with 2.1.1.16 with a barely functinoal system. Kids all switched to Verizon LTE. It was awful. Had to manually reboot system several times a day just to be able to watch streaming TV and browse on Apple devices. Hardwired devices were ok.

Updated to 2.1.2 beta and it is much better. Still getting occasional connection problems where device stays connected, but unable to get through to Internet. Have not had to reboot router system since going to 2.1.2 though. The connection problems recover after about a minute or two. Devices are now connecting to satellites while the 2.1.1.16 almost everything connected to base router unless it was literally next to a satellite.

Summary - 2.1.2 is definitively better than 2.1.1.16 but still not a true fix

Message 69 of 372
njweb
Luminary

Does the beta have the KRACK patch?

Despite intially having a decent experience with 2.1.1.16, I eventually downgraded to 2.0.0.74 after some stability issues with 2.1.1.16

I am happy to stay with 2.0.0.74 for the now so long as the beta does not give me anything urgent / beneficial above 2.0.0.74. I know the connected 'devices list' is fixed in the beta, but anything else compelling that the beta includes above 2.0.0.74?

Message 70 of 372
morrisseysb
Apprentice

I would say just Disney Circle if you wanted to use that...and wired backhaul if you can get it to work

Message 71 of 372
jmschnur923
Luminary

Just updated to the beta.

Some dievices are showing on th Sats. I will check later in day for full connections.

CPU loads are

RBR50 13.5%

Near Sat 30.*% 5g connect

Far Sat 21.4 %  5g connect

AP mode

updated manually with no reboot.

So far so good.

Previously I had 15 days on 16 with no issues otehr than lasck of Sat UI info.

Message 72 of 372
njweb
Luminary

@morrisseysb wrote:

I would say just Disney Circle if you wanted to use that...and wired backhaul if you can get it to work

Thanks!

Disney Circle is not required in my case and my home layout (open floor plan and no ethernet wiring) is not conducive to wired backhaul without it looking messy... 

So, just to (re)confirm, this beta firmware does not include the patch for the KRACK vulnerability?

Message 73 of 372
PyroDog
Apprentice

@PyroDog wrote:

Updated rotuer and satellite with great results!

Everything running smooth and attached devices now display correctly.

I take back what I said. Still having issues:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Packet-loss-pattern/m-p/1479220#M20248

Message 74 of 372
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

So, just to (re)confirm, this beta firmware does not include the patch for the KRACK vulnerability?

All firmware .76 and above should have the patch for KRACK. So yes, it must have the patch.

However, I would be careful as I think this firmware still has some bugs introduce with 2.1.1.12 - possibily the long password trunkation and illegal special characters in passwords that where working before. You can try it out but be ready to roll back to .74 if you have issues until the official release of 2.1.2.x

Message 75 of 372
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7