Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.1

aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@njweb wrote:

Thanks Darren. When you say only fixes those issues, can I assume KRACK is also considered an "issue" (by your definition) as well, meaning the beta does not include the KRACK patch that 2.1.x.x do, correct?

Since the version of this beta is higher than 2.1.1 - which includes the fix for KRACK, it should include all the fixes in 2.1.1 since it's based on the same code base. I think you can safely assume that it does include the KRACK fix.

Message 101 of 372
guzzijason
Apprentice

KRACK was originally fixed in V2.0.0.76. It's a non-issue at this point.

Message 102 of 372
spinkick
Apprentice

I'd like to see what they are finding on Android 8.1 devices, it appears to be affecting lots of different routers and I bet a big percentage of the issues are this.
Message 103 of 372
mumbles76
Star

Darren,

Is there a phone number or email address of someone that we can reach out to regarding the issues we are experiencing with the Orbi's to try and place some pressure on dedicating more resources to the Orbi development/testing teams?

Message 104 of 372
Replevin
Star

@mumbles76 wrote:

Darren,

Is there a phone number or email address of someone that we can reach out to regarding the issues we are experiencing with the Orbi's to try and place some pressure on dedicating more resources to the Orbi development/testing teams?

Are you kidding?  This is the second major firmware screw-up for Orbi.  It is ridiculous!  I have never seen such a crap development process.  "Hey, let's push out a major firmware upgrade right before the holidays and then set all the routers to auto-update while all of our engineers head out to vacation.  I hope it works."  What a joke.  

Message 105 of 372
lbdyck
Star

I just manually upgraded and the router upgraded fine. After I only see 1 of 2 satellites with the one not connected showing a status of "Config Sync". After doing a power cycle and sync it now shows good BUT the connection was blank and then it disappeared.

When I attempted to apply the update to the on Satellite I got this message "This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product" ???

This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product.

This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 106 of 372
larryindublin
Luminary

I really do appreciate the concept of ORBI. If this worked well, it would be the best mesh system out there IMHO since it’s got multiple Ethernet ports per unit. One of the big downsides I see to Eero is that even with the full blown Pro units (vs 1 pro unit and beacons) there are only 2 Ethernet ports (and on the modem connected unit, only 1 free). If you use Ethernet backhaul, even the secondary Eero’s only have 1 open ethernet port (and you can’t ethernet backhaul with the beacons). That said, EVERY person I know with an Eero says it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread and they NEVER have to reboot... WEEKS at a time without even thinking about it - real plug and play....

I’m sure there are those who have Orbi systems and they work well, but the number of people who post here must only be a small portion of those having issues and then there is the 90 day support period. Netgear has kept us all down, and I’m “thisclose” to making the decision to return Orbi and just go back to my TP-Link router again for a while.

The support from the 2 people (I think it’s 2, AMIR and DARRENM?) is OK, but I just get the feeling that they are secretly frustrated as well, just like their jobs and can’t say anything. A modern wifi system, mesh or not, that has been out for over a year now should not still be having issues like this. 

Message 107 of 372
larryindublin
Luminary

@lbdyck wrote:

I just manually upgraded and the router upgraded fine. After I only see 1 of 2 satellites with the one not connected showing a status of "Config Sync". After doing a power cycle and sync it now shows good BUT the connection was blank and then it disappeared.

When I attempted to apply the update to the on Satellite I got an authentication prompt which would not accept the userid or password that I use so I'm at a loss for that? 

Did you try using the initial password that was provided on the unit - maybe it factory reset itself trying to commit “routercide”.

Message 108 of 372
lbdyck
Star

I found I was mistyping the password but then it rejected the update file 😞

Message 109 of 372
nXXo
Apprentice

I don't understand not all this is problem with the orbi, since the beta update mine is working really well. Turn on for 2 days without interruption, nothing to say again, with 28 devices connected

Message 110 of 372
lbdyck
Star

To correct my prior posting - I was able to update the satellite once I downloaded the satellite update file - didn't realize there were different files for base and sats 

Message 111 of 372
Mabashi
Tutor

Does the new beta version of the firmware solve the issue where android devices were causing the router to reboot?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 112 of 372
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I updated over a day ago to the beta 2.1.2.10 firmware. Upgrade process was flawless, (update satelites 1st as the instructs recommend), and since update, zero issues!!!

This is the most stable release I've seen since I purchased this unit over 10 months ago. Prior to this release I was seeing reboots at different intervals and more than once a day, and on all different versions of released/beta code and was also questioning the purchase of this device even given glowing reviews you read on it.

I know by reading all the posts that some users are seeing some issues with Android devices, but I do think it was stated that bug hadn't been addressed in this beta. I don't happen to have any Android devices at home that are causing that mentioned issue.

I can only hope they fix that issue, but again, this is the most stable version I've seen and I'm streaming security cams, over 28 devices in whole network, and no reported issues so far.

Please don't break in production release NetGear!! 🙂

Message 113 of 372
scyu6058
Tutor

Hi, I upgraded to the beat firmware yesterday and everything is working fine.  However, I check the NTP under administration, it only showed US time.  I live in HK which is 8 hours ahead of GMT.  I select the time.windows.com but no luck.  This is not a big issue but whenever I refer to the logs, I need to do the maths.

Any suggestion to prefect this ?

Message 114 of 372
robertcdh
Apprentice

@scyu6058 wrote:

Hi, I upgraded to the beat firmware yesterday and everything is working fine.  However, I check the NTP under administration, it only showed US time.  I live in HK which is 8 hours ahead of GMT.  I select the time.windows.com but no luck.  This is not a big issue but whenever I refer to the logs, I need to do the maths.

Any suggestion to prefect this ?

I had trouble finding the Time Zone setting too.  It is located under Advanced -> Security -> Schedule.

Message 115 of 372
robertcdh
Apprentice

I decided to give the beta firmware a spin.  I had constant reboots since 2.1.1.16 and I had to roll-back to 2.0.0.74.  My router was very stable on .74 but I figure I'd try 2.1.2.10.

My router would reboot almost everytime I unlocked my Moto Z Play running Android 7.x.  I know this firmware does not specifically target this issue but I was curious to see what would happen if I used a smaller wifi password.  I went from 16 characters to 8 characters.  Surprisingly, I haven't had a reboot since I installed the beta firmware about 7 hours ago. 

Of course, now that I posted this, my luck will change and I'll probably get a reboot.  😞

Message 116 of 372
orbirick
Apprentice

As a relatively new Orbi owner running a stable installation of 2.1.1.16, but with the known faulty connection reporting issue, I find it disturbing that Netgear is struggling to provide a stable firmware environment for any networking gear, let alone a flagship product. And a year or so after product release too. 

I'd love to have accurate client connection reporting, but hesitate to chance breaking an otherwise stable system with the beta firmware. 

My satellites are wired, my PW is 10 characters with no special characters, UPnP is off, etc. There’s nothing unusual about my system that I can think of, and it’s been rock solid with no spontaneous reboots since I installed it a couple of weeks ago, even though I have an android phone running 8.0. 

But it I find myself looking askance at it waiting for the axe to fall. And yet I have no reason to except for all the problem reports I find online. Maybe I just need to quit reading all these reports and just enjoy my system!

Am I lucky? Or am I the norm and all these issues are the outliers? I’m not sure what to think.

Message 117 of 372
Paul1701
Aspirant

I may be in wrong topic so I apologize up front. New to Netgear world. Please tell me where to look. The netgear community forums could be better organized/ tagged in trying to zone in on root cause of issues - firmware, connected devices, IoT, etc.  Not crazy about the search engine here either. Lastly the similar yet different naming of Orbi routers and satellites and permutations thereof make it clumsy to search

I installed my Orbi a few days ago. The firmware on the RBR40 router is 1.12.0.30.

My point is I am still on level/version 1 firmware AND I need to reboot my router everyday. So I do not see this as a firmware version 2 issue.

I have an Arris Surf cable modem SBG6580. Are there any known compatibility issues with Arris? 

I also have my Galaxy S6 phone on Android OS 7 - I did not upgrade to Oreo.

Thanks in advance for any guidance/suggestions.

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System, RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 118 of 372
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@orbirick wrote:

Am I lucky? Or am I the norm and all these issues are the outliers? I’m not sure what to think.

I do think this is the norm and the issues are the outliers. I have pretty much the same experience. It seems that for most people it just works and there is nothing we can do to get the reboot issues to happen. I have had some disconnect issues with the 2.1.1.16 firmware on some iOS devices, so moved to the 2.1.2.10 beta - not been running it long enough to see if that fixed the disconnect issue as it would only happen after a week. I do share the concern that Netgear has not been very good so far at dealing with the users that are having the reboot issues. I figure that at least the router should log a reason for a reboot even if it's a kernal panic to help them track down what is going on.

I know they are actually working on resolving the issues that they know of and know what to look for. I am sure the users with rebooting routers are just a tiny minority of Orbi users, and I am sure most of these are environmental issues - like the Android bug ID'd recently, but there seems to be other also.

If it was a more sizeable userbase affected these routers would have disappeared from store shelves a while ago. Let's hope they can ID these issues and eliminate them with the next firmware release. I really want to see some actual progress with these releases instead of bug bashing.

Message 119 of 372
morrisseysb
Apprentice

Thanks RonnaldJannsen.  I booted, waited 5 min for the router to do it's thing.  Then I started the sat and waited 10 min before trying anything and presto it worked with everything at full speed with a direct wire between the sat and router...no more switch in the middle.   

Message 120 of 372
Cotedan
Apprentice

I’ve removed the Orbi despite the new beta firmware. Whole system rebooted itself again after only 4 hours ... so it’s back to either google wifi (that I like) or the new Eero Pro 3 pack (wired).  Orbi worked well ... until it started rebooting itself and dis connecting the 45 devices connected to it. Just can’t have an unreliable central machine like that. 

Message 121 of 372
lbdyck
Star

After one night with the beta my MacBook remained connected, as did my desktop, BUT my iphone and iPad were not. Had to forget the ssid and rejoin for them to work. 

Seems  the beta still has a few bugs within 

Message 122 of 372
morrisseysb
Apprentice

We have 3 ipads and 3 iphones.....no issues here.  Mac Mini is fine also, however it is wired. 

Message 123 of 372
Cotedan
Apprentice

Didn’t have any issues with any Mac devices either. Worked perfectly with 3 Orbis wired. 

Nest cams are more stable under the Orbi 2.1.2.10 beta.  Where the problem lies, however, is the main router itself - I had random disconnects that killed the entire home network of 45 devices. Thus going back to Google Wifi. Will be trying Eero Pro 3 pack wired in coming days. 

Message 124 of 372
fitsnugly
Star

@DarrenM  Do you have any insights into the firmware file system and whether it includes something like kdump or linux-crashdump to grab kernel panic crash dumps?  I poked around via telnet and could not see anything on my end.  I looked at the sysctl.conf and such for any clues but alas...  It's going to be difficult for us to help diagnose on our end (and help your end fix these issues) without crash dump tools.

Message 125 of 372
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7