Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.1

Blcklab
Apprentice

Gave this a go but had multiple reboots and/or resetting all WiFi connections. Occurred every few hours. I do have an Android 8.1 device however the timing never seemed to coincide with my device waking or connecting to the orbi.

Even if it's 8.1 the issue needs to be addressed. 

Rolled back to .74 and I've noticed even .74 has rebooted or dropped connections a couple times however it's only about 1x per day. 

As far as I know I did not have this issue when I first got my orbi. I set it up once and the whole family was happy after battling dead spots with a WiFi router, aps and extenders. 

So the hardware is very capable. 

Message 126 of 372
robertcdh
Apprentice

I have finally convinced myself that the size of the WiFi password is not related to the reboot issue. I changed mine from 16 to 8 characters when I switched to the beta firmware. I had a good first run with the first reboot happening about 12 hours after I upgraded. I had multiple reboots since then with the last one occurring about 90 minutes ago.

I'm going back to .74 for now.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 127 of 372
Mayhugh1
Apprentice

I updated to the beta software and am seeing no issues. The reporting of the connections seems to be correct now, but it will take another week to be absolutely sure. With the two previous software versions my connections would initially show correct, but over time they would all migrate over to the router. My ipad which is usually used in an area in the house close to a satellite, but far away from the router, would then lose significant download speed. I've not had any reboots in the three plus weeks I've owned system. i happen to catch my ISP going offline briefly on one occasion, and this caused the router (only) to light up magenta. Service came back a few minutes later when the ISP recovered, and curiously nothing out of the ordinary was logged by the Orbi. 

I have 8 devices continually connected to the system and another three or four (computers) that typically come and go. No Android or NEST devices. My wife's iphone now connects using 5G where before it would only use 2.4G. The crazy DOS and ARK attacks from it are also no longer showing up in the logs.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 128 of 372
Mayhugh1
Apprentice

I spoke too soon. My wife's iphone has started its ARP and DOS attacks again. At least it's still happily connected through 5G. 

Message 129 of 372
nXXo
Apprentice

Personally I deactivated the daisychain option because I have 1 router and 1 satellite, so this option is not useful to me. Maybe that's where the deconexion problems came from.

Message 130 of 372
lbdyck
Star

So after returning from church my desktop and my wife's laptop will not connect, nor will my iphone and ipad.  Had to power cycle the main Orbi.

Is there a stable release of the firmware that someone can recommend?

Message 131 of 372
Wing47
Aspirant

Installed V2.1.2.12 a couple of days ago on my RBK 43 system and now have an uptime of just over two days. So far so good. Daisy chain is on, with one sat connected to the other, and one to the router. Wireless backhaul. 

The biggest factor for me, I think, was moving one of the 2 satellites about 20 feet from its original location. It's in the same room as before but this meant one fewer wall between it and the Orbi router in my 2300 sq ft. house. Made a huge difference for that sat; getting up to 240 mbps on an xBox wired to the sat via a switch. The other sat, a bit closer and with fewer walls, shows up to 600 mbps on a PC with ethernet to it. And on a PC wired to my router I'm getting up to 940 mbps, according to Comcast's speed test. Somewhat lower on other test sites. (I have Comcast Docsis 3.1 gigabit).

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 132 of 372
jmschnur923
Luminary

Try .074

Message 133 of 372
orbirick
Apprentice

@lbdyck wrote:

So after returning from church my desktop and my wife's laptop will not connect, nor will my iphone and ipad.  Had to power cycle the main Orbi.

Is there a stable release of the firmware that someone can recommend? 

I'm still on the 2.1.1.16 release and after 2 solid weeks of uptime, the network just died. I plugged my PC into the modem and was able to get back online, so it's not my ISP. But now my network is dead.

Nor can I log into the web interface or the debug page on the router either. I repowered the RBR50 and no change. 

Edit: So as I was digging out my old router and AP so I could get my network back up, I hear my PC chime for an inbound message. Sure enough, the Orbi is back online. But it took a good 10-15 minutes for it to come back up.

I cut my teeth in the home wifi world on a DLink DI-624 and was always trying to find a new firmware to make that thing work better! I'm not inclined to repeat that ordeal.

I confess to being perplexed what to do. I'm very, very tempted to unplug this thing, pack it up, and take it back to Costco and put my old system back in place while I research my next option.

Message 134 of 372
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You might try the beta - I'm running it now and it's working well.

Message 135 of 372
lbdyck
Star

I’m using the beta and it is not as stable as 074

Message 136 of 372
yaggermr
Guide

Flashed 2.1.1, Lasted a whole two hours before a reboot. Netgear you need to fix this. Just flashed router and satellite back to 2.0.0.74. Next step go to every review site and let them know about the constant issues with Orbi so people know to stay away from this product.
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 137 of 372
mgillen
Tutor

2.1.2.10 Beta reset after 7 hours. No improvmement for me.
Also still has the problem with the Galaxy S6 too.

Message 138 of 372
ktd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just saw this theread and installed 2.1.2 after having massive problems with 2.1.16. I really hope this beta will fix most of the disconnections we have had latly.

Message 139 of 372
larryindublin
Luminary

@ktd wrote:

Just saw this theread and installed 2.1.2 after having massive problems with 2.1.16. I really hope this beta will fix most of the disconnections we have had latly.

Just remember this beta is only supposed to address the specific things they called out in the release post. It’s NOT supposed to be a stable, final release with everything fixed.

Message 140 of 372
MrHudson
Star

I have had a pretty mixed experience with my Orbi RBR50 and 1 satellite over the past year or so that I have owned them with the big issues being random device disconnects and instability. I have thus pursued firmware updates vigorously to try to make this a device I can brag about as I have with other Netgear items in the past. I really want these to work as Orbi's inclusion of enough ethernet ports on the router is the weakness on all other units that prevents me from jumping ship. I also like the Netgear web interface though their iOS app is trash.

Firmware wise, I moved from 2.1.1.16 to 2.1.2.10 18 hours ago. Following that, I have yet to experience a router or satellite reboot (though admittedly this was happening only about every 8 days or so before) and I have yet to find a device disconnected which happened a couple times under 2.1.1.16 on a once a day sort of interval.

I will say my most stable version was 2.0.0.76 which is a version I kept here as a backup should future builds continue to offer problems since .76 included the Krack Wi-Fi fix.

A few more notes about 2.1.2.10

* I have about 28 device attached and more of them are connecting on 5G than has been the case in the past - I prefer 5G to 2.4 for speed and reduced the 2.4 power level to 50 percent to hopefully encourage 5G connections over 2.4.

* I have a few devices which I am anticipate are really connected to the satellite or router but are reporting the opposite so the mappings still look a littel suspicious to me or there are some real distatnce linkages happening for me (my implicit beamforming is off as is MIMO)

* My Ring Pro doorbells are seemingly getting solid 5G connections which was not always the case

* My router and satellite CPU usage still seems high to me at between 15 and 30% with not real heavy use but who knows what normal should be on this anyway. At least I have not seen over 45% in recent times.

* My only Android devices are some Amazon Echo Shows so can't help much with the Android concerns

* I did see some oddities happening over on the Linksys Vellop list as well. It makes me wonder if the Qualcomm chipset isn't part of the problem here.

* I am glad Netgear is still chugging along on this but I wish I had a greater sense that some real experts were behind the developments--it looks almost like a hobbiest development team given all the random problems that keep surfacing. I don't mind this on betas and I don't want to complain about betas as we need to try to help them figur this out but so many main release builds have giant problems that it just make sme wonder what is happening and where in the world the development is happening for Netgear.

If any of the other manufacturers released a mesh system with 4 or more ports on the main router I'd jump ship for that but until then, I'll stick with Netgear and hope it gets better soon.

Message 141 of 372
Greyhawk68
Star

Okay, I've been up on the beta for a day and six hours at this point.  I was having horrible disconnect problems, enough to switch to Eero, but I put the Orbi's back in now because I wanted to try the beta, and hopefully it would fix things and I could save $500.

Right now all seems good.

The difference right now is that before I had all ports filled on the router AND satellite.  Right now I only have a printer on the router, and my Hue hub on the sat.  I'm wondering if that plays into anything at all.

For those of you who have tons of stuff jacked in and a lot of disconnects, I'd be curious to see if uptime goes up if you remove most of those.  It's not ideal AT ALL, I know, but for me I can live with it if that makes things stable.  Maybe the internal switch is part of the issue?

Good luck all,

Grey

Message 142 of 372
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm running the Orbi as a router with two satellites attached with wireless backhaul - one one satellite I have plugged into ethernet my TV, an AppleTV 4K, Sound bar, and Xbox1X. No issues - of course I don't have any switches plugged into my Orbis. The Router has the Shaw cable modem in bridge mode, a Synology NAS, a Chaimberlan garage door hub, with one spare port. Upstairs I have a satellites in a den that connects a laptop when someone's working from there. No stability issues with those things plugged in. Tons of other things attached through Wifi - Ring Doorbells, Cameras around the house, Wemo devices, Wifi lights, iPhones, iPads, for a total of 24 devices on at all times going up to about 35-40 devices when everything is on.

Message 143 of 372
Cotedan
Apprentice

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like it’s stable for you.  Three unit wired orbi with latest beta 2.1.2.10 was stable but suddenly it rebooted for no reason. Nothing changed so it’s hard to explain the sudden reboot. 

The iOS app is stable but not up to par. With 45 devices, there’s no way in the app to list the devices in a table (must go through the web to get) and no way of knowing to which satellite devices as connected through the app. Not a polished app in my view. 

The instability of the Orbi forced a switch back to Google Wifi, and soon to test out Eero Pro 3 unit wired. Loved the orbi (wired) until it rebooted itself without reason, and again and again. 

Best of success. Hope it stays stable for you @aaz

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 144 of 372
johnzm
Guide

how many of you guys did a factory reset?

and how many of you are doing MORE than a factory reset? 

and if so, what all are you doing to try to set these things back to a "default" state?

Message 145 of 372
larryindublin
Luminary

Until I am told by Netgear that I need to do anything more than just install a firmware update "as is", I don't think I should have to experiment.
Message 146 of 372
rce3
Guide

My setup is one RBR50 and two RBS50 all running in AP mode.  Network has been stable and working fine except that satellites show up in attached device area of the router webpage rather than the satellite section.  I am able to confirm that satellites are working and have devices connecting to them by visiting the satellite webpages and viewing the connected devices.

Today I updated firmware to v2.1.2.10 by updating satellites first and then router.

Immediately after upate my wifi network stopped working.  It appeared that the router decided to set up a new network at 10.0.0.1 rather than continue to operate on the 192.168.x.x network I am running.  Multiple reboots of multiple components eventually sovled the problem, can't say which action made the difference.

Network now appears to be operating normally, but satellites are still showing up as attached devices rather than as satellites.  (During the update process one satellite showed up for a while in the "connected satellite" section with a "poor connection" warning, but it has stabilized to showing up as an attached device.)  It also appears that none of the devices connected to the satellites are showing up on the attached device list.

Your mileage may vary...

Message 147 of 372
johnzm
Guide

@larryindublin wrote:
Until I am told by Netgear that I need to do anything more than just install a firmware update "as is", I don't think I should have to experiment.

i agree on the experimenting part!

but seeing how it feels like i was sold a half baked net gear experiment, i was looking to see what others have tried. 

not sure anyone else noticed, they are busy building LED control into the firmware instead of fixing stability issues

Message 148 of 372
sandaboy
Tutor

I was having constant hang-ups and reboots because of Android 8.1, which prompted me to turn off the wifi on my Pixel 2 XL. After that the router wasn't rebooting anymore, but it would still get hung up and freeze constantly, every hour or so. After installing this beta I've been rock solid for over 4 days now. I'm guessing the CPU was getting seriously overloaded. I still have my wifi turned off on my Pixel 2 XL, but at least all of my other devices can finally connect and stay connected. I hope the reason Android is causing the reboots is figured out by Netgear/Google soon because it's getting pretty annoying at this point. It's been weeks since this is a known issue now. It's like playing a game of how long I can live without wifi on my Pixel vs going out and buying a router that works. I'd rather not spend another few hundred bucks on a new system, just hope they can get this fixed ASAP!

Message 149 of 372
Cotedan
Apprentice

Turn on the wifi on your devices. I’m all Mac for computers and phones and the router rebooted itself regardless. I don’t think it has anything to do with your devices - it’s the router that’s faulty. 

Message 150 of 372
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7