Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.1

morrisseysb
Apprentice

I have been up about 2 days on the beta sonfar so good.  I switched to a wired backhaul and that has been good.  I did get the pink light at first on the sat but after 10 min it seems to have done what it needed ro and it works.  I did a reboot after that just to see if it was going to need 10 min every reboot and it just took 2-3 minutes to get going not 10 minutes.  I do see whith the wired backhaul if i go to the update option it shows that i have 2 sats....when I only have one.   The second never actually connects and provides status on an update being available.  I have several nest protects, a nest thermostat, amd even a sump pump that i can log into and all are functioning as expected.  2 web cams also working fine.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 151 of 372
Paul1701
Aspirant

Like Icarus I feel I went too close to the sun or maybe too close to the "bleeding" edge of tech advances. ORBI mesh network great idea but I don't want to be part of their gratis testing community. I only need an extender. Returning my ORBI. Already purchased a less expensive alternative Netgear dual channel extender and it doesn't drop wifi. I believe Netgear makes good products.

Wake up ORBI product group - before its too late.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 152 of 372
aani75
Apprentice

Stable connection after installing this BETA. Router and all 3 satellites are up and running from last 3 days without any reboot. Packet loss still exists and hopefully will be resolved in full firmware release. Furthermore, I also suspect that the Android issue still exists, this had caused a reboot 3 days earlier when a guest's android device started using my wifi.

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System, RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 153 of 372
bsorrent
Guide

What are folks using to know whether/how often the network is rebooting?  Obviously, if it happens when I am using it I am aware, otherwise I am not.  I don't recall seeing that ability in the ORBI UI.

As to the person stating they went back to a Netgear router and extender, I would love to do so but I asked Netgear to replace my Orbi with something else and they said they would not.  I am not having the same level of issues with my Orbi as others, but I would welcome an option from Netgear rather than throwing my $400 down the drain.  My network is "stable enough" for the moment that I am not inclined to throw in the towel.  

Message 154 of 372

I rolled back to 1.11.0.20 (starting at 2.1.1.16, then basically each version all the way back) starting a few days before Christmas.  My wife and I both work from home, spend a considerable amount of time on VOIP calls and use persistent VPN connections throughout the day.  I wasn't able to get through the day without some sort of network interruption/problem until landing on 1.11.0.20, and that's where I'll be staying until Netgear gets its act together and releases a stable update.

Message 155 of 372
bsorrent
Guide

Thank you bcampbell83.  Helpful to know.  I also work from home from time to time and need WIFI calling and persistent VPN.  I am on 2.1.1.12 and seem to be ok but haven't worked from home since I installed this release.  If I have issues, I'll keep 1.11.0.20 in mind.  Prior to 2.1.1.12 I was on a beta version 2.0.1.2 that had been given to me and I was not having any issues at all other than I was never able to have the second satellite connected without constant drops.  Once I removed the second satellite from the equation, it was perfect..even for wifi coverage in the house.  I was not happy to have paid for a satellite I guess I didn't need but it seemed to be very stable on that release. 

Message 156 of 372
budy
Luminary

Hi,

I have one router (RBR40) and one sat (RBS40), which are conencted via LAN backhaul. Despite the fact, that the connected devices table does list any device as being connected to the router - which is running in AP mode - everything seems to work just fine. The current cpu load is less than 5% on either device. The router has been up for one day and the sat has been moved from wireless backhaul to network backhaul, which caused it to be moved to a different place and thus required a reboot.

I am running the latest BETA V2.1.2.12 on te router and the latest V2.1.1.16 and it has been running quite nicely.

Message 157 of 372
tinypocket
Guide

My RBK50 was dropping like crazy in Dec. Netgear sent me another one (had to pay ~$16 for shipping) which I got on Friday. Plugged it, updated the firmware in and set it up annndd.... it started dropping. 😞

Luckily I read a post (this one https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Streaming-problems-with-Orbi-Firmware-versions-v1-12-0-18-and-... -- see instructions there) about 1.11.0.20. I updated (or downgraded) the satellate and router to that on Saturday and it seems to be stable! Will see how it goes after a few more days. But on 2.x firemwares I could definitly not go this long before a drop. If you're still seeing drops I suggest trying 1.11.0.20.  

Message 158 of 372
JMU1998
Luminary

Anyone using the latest Beta and using Orbi in A/P mode confirm the attached device list is fixed? or do all devices still show connected to main router, I am unable to take Beta myself at the moment can't take downtime for my network currently was wondering anyone tried and if attached list is fixed.

Message 159 of 372
allroadusa
Guide

I can confirm 2 things :

1) Attached device list is fixed

2) Android phone (7.1 or 😎 causing router to reboot is NOT fixed

Message 160 of 372
webminster
Luminary

Yeah, the list looks better in the 2.1.2 beta, it looks plausible.   YMMV on anything else in there... also running in AP mode, and there were enough other issues (packet drops, etc) I went back to 2.0.0 anyway.

Message 161 of 372
lowepg
Apprentice

"This firmware co-sponsored by the Apple Iphone sales team"

🙂

Message 162 of 372
orbirick
Apprentice

@aaz wrote:

You might try the beta - I'm running it now and it's working well.

I don't know. I had no issues with 2.1.1.16 for 2 solid weeks (other than device reporting) and then it just died. No power spikes, surges, or anything. And I have it on a UPS anyway. 

I could not get the web interface up or the debug page. Everything was dead. So after I piddled a while trying to fix it, called my ISP to check on network outages, connected my PC directly to the modem so I could get back online, and finally was dragging out my old gear to get my network back up, the Orbi came back to life.

That sounds more hardware than software, I'm thinking.

Right now I'm back on my old gear while I ponder my options.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 163 of 372
Blcklab
Apprentice

What are the disadvantages of 1.11.0.20? .74 has been pretty stable bit even .74 resets wifi connections
Message 164 of 372
orbirick
Apprentice

@Blcklab wrote:
What are the disadvantages of 1.11.0.20? .74 has been pretty stable bit even .74 resets wifi connections

It doesn't address the Krack vulnerability, iirc.

Message 165 of 372
jmschnur923
Luminary

In AP mode with Daisy chain working with wireless backhaul, attached devices shows correctly. My IPad Pro modes around properly on the Sats when checked.

Issues yet after three days or so.

Message 166 of 372
jmschnur923
Luminary

That is NO issues yet.

Message 167 of 372
budy
Luminary

Anyone already poked at the telnet access, which you can acticate on the debug page? I poked around a bit and found that, although the devices list is totally borked on my setup, the bridges pretty much tell me that the wireless devices are located on the device router/sat on which one would expect them to be.

I don't know, why the UI doesn't grasp that, but it seems to be only a minor issue, which should be easy to fix

I have put the two of my Orbi devices under tight surveillance by my network monitoring, should either of them fall of the net, it will be noted.

Message 168 of 372
nXXo
Apprentice

I finally fixed my problem with my orbi, very easy... I returned it to the store and got a velop linkys kit, this thing is rock solid. Good luck all

Message 169 of 372
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

I have been having continued intermittent reboots over the last day or two since a manual update to V2.1.2.10

Orbi is in AP mode connected to an Asus router, also connected to the router is a Fingbox.

The Fing is reporting the Orbi having a MAC ending XX:XX:A5 and being connected to the network with no problems.

Then Fing then reports the Orbi as being "in range" and the network seems to degrade.

Followed by Left the network.

Shortly after it re enters the network.

But, at the same time, R50 enters the network on the same IP but with MAC XX:XX:A6 (only the last digit differs)

Both MAC's then leave the network and the Orbi setup crashes/reboots.

The timeline might not be exact and am unsure how accurate the Fingbox is.

I am trying to work out why the Orbi would be connecting with the MAC variation - changing from A5 to A6 ? or is this considered acceptable from a device with multiple MAC's

Certainly if the reboots continue I will revert to .74

Message 170 of 372
madbrain
Luminary

Amit,

How many Orbi reboots should the the users expect ?  Shouldn't it be zero ???

Very fed up with Orbi here. And I went back to my old R7000 due to experiencing these issues.

@AmitR wrote:

The Orbi team at NETGEAR is aware that some users are experiencing higher than expected Orbi Router reboots, special characters in WiFi Passwords and WiFi / Internet disconnects.  We believe these issues are related to the OrbiOS 2.1.1 firmware. We are actively working to address these issues, and expect to fix them with a firmware upgrade soon.  In the meantime, we’re temporarily suspending auto-upgrading users to OrbiOS 2.1.1. 

Message 171 of 372
jmschnur923
Luminary

The Orbi app says my kp is 10.0.0.1

it is not I am in AP mode and the address is a 192.168 .x.x variant?

why the wrong IP address?

Message 172 of 372
Blcklab
Apprentice

I downgraded to 1.11.0.20 and it looks like it ran an auto update back to .74
Message 173 of 372

@Blcklab  This post has a link that walks you through how to disable auto-updates.  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V2-1-1-16-auto-update/m-p/1478149/highlight/true#M201...

Message 174 of 372
Blcklab
Apprentice

Thanks. I might. Netgear reported they had frozen auto updates, and .74 doesn't update on its own, but I guess 1.xx trips things up and updates on it's own. Tried twice and that's what happened, almost as fast as the Orbi configured. It got online, found the satellite then moments later updated itself.

I bought Orbi to simplify my home network and eliminate dead spots and it worked great.

Now it's a daily hassle
Message 175 of 372
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7