Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.1

madbrain
Luminary

@wase4711 wrote:

I have 1 gig cox service, and my faster wifi speeds are never more than 500 megs up or down with the orbi or orbi pro; any way to improve this, or is this the best you can expect?

using AP mode or router mode, plugged into the cox netgear ac1750 router they provide

Depending on distance from your device to the AP, 500 mbit is probably close to the best you can expect. Have you tried software that uses multiple streams, or doing transfers from more than one wifi device at once to measure speed ?

Message 301 of 372
guzzijason
Apprentice

Yeah, the Orbi uses 2x2 radios for the 5 GHz fronthaul connections, which has a theoretical limit of ~866 Mbps. You are unlikely to ever see anything close to that limit in real-world usage. 500-550 Mbps  should be pretty typical.

Message 302 of 372
wase4711
Luminary

yeah, even if I stand next to the router or satalite, I never get more than about 340mb speeds to any device, and, when I measure the actual speed to the orbi itself, its in the 400-500mb range..

Too bad there is no way to get closer to 700 or 800 megs wirelessly; it would be nice to use that 1 gig speed I pay for with Cox!

Message 303 of 372
Blcklab
Apprentice

So I have a couple cable modem going into a 4 port switch for 4 wired connections, 1 of which is the orbi router.

Should I have it in AP mode? Never had problems until these firmware related reboots etc
Message 304 of 372
wase4711
Luminary

no, router mode would be best, since a switch doesnt do any actual "routing"..but, it mightr be better if you connected the orbi directly to the modem and not to a switch first..

Message 305 of 372
Blcklab
Apprentice

I would but the Cox doesn't come into the house in a good spot. The a/v box is in my wife's closet on an outer edge of the house. So I have the router located more in the center of the 2nd floor not surrounded by a bunch of stuff.
Message 306 of 372
st_shaw
Master

@wase4711 wrote:

I have 1 gig cox service, and my faster wifi speeds are never more than 500 megs up or down with the orbi or orbi pro; any way to improve this, or is this the best you can expect?

using AP mode or router mode, plugged into the cox netgear ac1750 router they provide

No. That's as fast as Orbi's WiFi will go. Orbi's link speed is 866 Mbps and you will only get 50% to 60% of the link speed as throughput under ideal conditions. Why would you need more speed than that anyway?

Message 307 of 372
ktd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Been on this beta for a week now and my system, router + 2 sats, is working much better.
I will not say all is fixed but it looks promising...
Message 308 of 372
wase4711
Luminary

need more speed?  no, not really..

WANT more speed? Always!

Since I pay for 1 gig speed, I would like to get as much as possible, so if I can tweak/move/adjust something to improve speeds, great. If not, thats ok too..

Message 309 of 372
robertcdh
Apprentice

There probably is some truth to the Google device/Android issue.  I haven't had a reboot in about 7 hours on the beta firmware.

I was forced to downgrade my firmware to .74 because I was getting constant reboots.  Even on .74 I would still get reboots.  After reading newbeb's post, I upgraded to 2.1.2.10 and disconnected my Google Home and minis and other Chromecast devices from my network.  I haven't had a reboot since and we have been intentionally unlocking our phones throughout the day trying to trigger a reboot.  Normally, the phone unlocking would have caused a reboot multiple times so 7 hours without a reboot is amazing.

Hopefully, someone else with the reboot issue can try it and see if they have similar results.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 310 of 372
fcwest
Star

Does anyone have working download links for the latest 2.1.2 beta (or newer) for the RBR50, RBS50, and the RBW30?
The links at the beginning of this thread result in corrupted disc images whether I download them from Windows or Mac browsers.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only), RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 311 of 372
dpdurst
Luminary

@fcwest wrote:

Does anyone have working download links for the latest 2.1.2 beta (or newer) for the RBR50, RBS50, and the RBW30?
The links at the beginning of this thread result in corrupted disc images whether I download them from Windows or Mac browsers.

Just PM you a link

Message 312 of 372
Orbipain
Guide

I have been a happy user, of Netgear products, for many years now. At least until this product. Having spent over 40 years dealing with enterprise level security systems software I also understand patches and firmware updates to the Nth degree. The Orbi product firmware problems to date are a clear indicator of poor product testing overall. Does Netgear not have emulation stress testing equipment, and procedures, to properly evaluate product before release? This is an extrodinary contrast to your other product quality. People or procedures? In any case I will not update firmware any further until I see reliable indicators that it works properly! In fact I am seriously considering getting rid of it. 

Message 313 of 372
robertcdh
Apprentice

I'm going on 23 hours without a router reboot on the 2.1.2.10 beta firmware!

It seems my problem was being caused by the Android/Google casting issue described in an earlier post.  Other router vendors mitigated the issue with a firmware update to their router.  I'm hoping Netgear can do the same.  Google needs to find a permanent fix too.

Message 314 of 372
sdunnin
Guide

FWIW I've been running on 2.1.1.16 since whenever it auto updated last without any issues. CPU Usage is < 10% and uptime is currently 24 days. I am looking forward to the attached devices page showing the correct connection bug getting fixed though. We have very few android devices on out network (an older Acer tablet, and an Acer chromebook). Everything else is Windows, Apple, or an IOT device. Have had a some freqent random disconnects with only 2 (my wife's iphone 6 and ipad 2) of the half dozen Apple devices. Other than that have not noticed any other issues with the current FW version.

Message 315 of 372
Orbipain
Guide

Have yet to see an accurate representation of what is actually connected to the RBKS on the latest firmware release. 

Message 316 of 372
sdunnin
Guide

Since I don't have any immediate issues to address for now I'm going to wait until 2.1.2 is finalized an officially released to install.

Message 317 of 372
JMU1998
Luminary

Can anyone confirm if the latest Beta Firmware has fixed the issue where all devices show connected to the main Orbi unit?

Message 318 of 372
1Insight
Aspirant

I have two Satllite Orbi devises connected to this router.  I had no issues for several months purchased in early March 2017 up until October 2017 everything worked great. Now I have Internet disconnects almost every hour through out the day 24/7. Started out as once or twice per day and has continued to get worse. I opened a trouble ticket over a month ago have gone to support directly three times. We have made several changes to setup and done Firmware updates.Current Firmware version is 2.1.1.16. I read there is a Beta software out that is Supposed to fix this issue Can anyone confirm? 

I know how to do Firmware updates manually please send me the Firmware update link for this Beta version if it is correcting the issues. Extrmely frustrating issues. Very expensive devises to have issues like this is frustrating. Everything else about the product is fantastic and I loved it for several months. I even purchased for one of our sons at his home so far he is fine. But I am affrad that will change after a few more months. Please advise. 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 319 of 372
Ejalvara2
Guide

Here is the original message which still has working lonks to the beta firmware. Hope it helps.

The Orbi team at NETGEAR is aware that some users are experiencing higher than expected Orbi Router reboots, special characters in WiFi Passwords and WiFi / Internet disconnects.  We believe these issues are related to the OrbiOS 2.1.1 firmware. We are actively working to address these issues, and expect to fix them with a firmware upgrade soon.  In the meantime, we’re temporarily suspending auto-upgrading users to OrbiOS 2.1.1. 

While we work through some of the issues, we’re releasing a new Beta firmware (2.1.2), which contains:

• Support for LED control & scheduling for Orbi Outdoor Satellite (RBS50Y)
  • Fixes high CPU utilization on Orbi Router, which could be causing other issues
  • Fixes the Attached Devices UI showing all devices connecting to the Orbi Router

The Beta firmware 2.1.2 files can be obtained from here:

RBR50: http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=n2X2ARvI7o

RBS50: http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=yBsnhHaBiw

RBR40: http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=8xFS1yg8fn

RBS40: http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=Hu3hbx814i 

RBW30: http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=PRpkMfJynw

RBS20:  http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=OGhLlDB9mQ

Instructions for performing a Manual Upgrade:  https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

If you are having issues with 2.1.1, having higher than normal disconnects or if you have purchased an Outdoor Orbi Satellite (RBS50Y) please upgrade to the new Beta firmware through the manual upgrade process.  Feel free contact NETGEAR Support if you’re having issues with MR 2.1.1 (even if you’re outside of the 90 day window).

We apologize for these issues.

Orbi Product Team

Message 320 of 372
Blcklab
Apprentice

I had issues even with the beta. I've rolled back to 1.x acted having issues with .74. Admittedly I did not fully power cycle my whole system when I rolled back to .74 although I don't think that was the cause of the reboots. However I was having issues where my device would show connected no internet.

Anyhow there is now peace in my family with the following changes I made. Should not have to do this with orbi though.

I'm not sure if only one of these was an issue or cumulative effect.

Telnet disable auto update
Rollback router and satellite to 1.11.0 .20
Reset nvram
Reset router and satellite to default with Paperclip then turn off and unplug
Turn off cable modem and switch and unplug
Wait a minute or two
Turn modem and switch back on
Turn satellite and router back on
Setup as new system

I used my original network name and password so my devices would reconnect without reconfiguring. This was a big deal because I have bows and ring doorbell and those are a process to entered WiFi username and passwords

My system has been up over 24 hours with 0 reboots. Additionally I can tell that the Wi-Fi connections to my devices have not been dropped.

For the time being I will stick with this firmware. It meets my needs. I reckon I'm slightly vulnerable to the krack exploit

I will monitor this forum to see when a working firmware update comes out
Message 321 of 372
budy
Luminary

Yes - at least, if you have your satellite connected via a wired backhaul. I didn't had that as long as my satellite had been connected via a wireless backhaul.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 322 of 372
Blcklab
Apprentice

FWIW I have Android 8.1 (Pixel XL2), 2 google home and a chromecast on 1.11.0 .20 with no current issues. My perception is if Android OS and home devices are causing issues it's still related to 2.x firmware

Message 323 of 372
sdunnin
Guide

A bit of irony here on my side maybe karma came and got me after my earlier post. My satellite went an locked up this evening (purple ring). Power cycled it and it came back up and all is good again. Orbi router was and still is fine though. Probably not related to FW issues since symptoms are completely different but who knows...

Message 324 of 372
larryindublin
Luminary

And oddly enough after 8+ days running, my router spontaneously rebooted when I apparently roamed my Android 7.0 S7 from Satelitte to Router.
Message 325 of 372
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7