Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.1

psrtx1
Star

Another unhappy user:

1. Tested with latest realease and with latest beta, same results
  2. Router does not reboot very often but wifi stops working ever few hours for few seconds to minutes (even on windows laptops)
  3. Wired backhaul seems to make it worse - more frequent disconects
    1. Router will lockup and reboot as soon as satalite is connected to wired network
    2. Have to turn of the Satalite, let router come up and then power on the satalite
  4. Have a large number of Android devices, including Google home and Chromecast
  5. Same defivices worked fine on Cisco router + Netgear Nighthawks in AP mode
Message 326 of 372
RobbieCrash
Guide

2.1.2.10 seems to be fine in my setup with 1 Pixel2, 2 Google Homes and 2 Chromecasts but only when running without the satellite. As soon as I turn the satellite on, the router reboots as soon as I wake my phone. I've noticed that when actually casting content to anything (Homes or Chromecasts) there are periodic wifi drops when I wake the phone, but the router at least stays up. 

As an aside, the Cisco AIR-CAP1700's I run at work in an 8 point mesh with a Cisco WLC2100 central controller also have issues when there are several of our Pixel/Pixel 2 devices in the office. I have also received alerts from our IPS that there is a potential DoS attack coming from the devices after long sleep times. Google really needs to address this instead of passing it over to the other hardware manufacturers. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 327 of 372
psrtx1
Star

Well google does have an issue with there devices, but so does Netgear.

For example:

• connecting the Satalite via wired ethernet cause the Router to reboot (thats a pure Netgear problem).
  • Windows laptop wifi connection losses access to external (internet sites). Can ping the router, the router can ping internet sites but laptop cannot ping internet sites. This is happens on Windows and Mac Laptops. Disconnecting and reconnecting the Wifi fixes the problem. This is clearly a routing issue with the router (not the satalite).

Have tried doing a factory reset on the router and the satalites (have 2 of them). Lets see if there is a firmware update to fix this in a week otherwise will have to abadon Netgear for good.  

Message 328 of 372
aani75
Apprentice

TPLINK Engineer's findings (hope Netgear have similar brains):

NETGEAR, NOW YOU KNOW WHAT TO FIX, SO PLS. FIX IT. 

Following initial research and investigation, our engineering team is confident that they've determined one of the key origins of the issue.  From what we have gathered so far, the issue appears to be related to some of the recent versions of Android OS and Google Apps.

This issue stems from these devices' "Cast" feature, which sends MDNS multicast discovery packets in order to discover and keep a live connection with Google products such as Google Home. These packets normally sent in a 20-second interval. However, we have discovered that the devices will sometimes broadcast a large amount of these packets at a very high speed in a short amount of time.  This occurs when the device is awakened from its "sleep" state, and could exceed more than 100,000 packets.  The longer your device is in "sleep", the larger this packet burst will be. This issue may eventually cause some of router’s primary features to shut down – including wireless connectivity.

Generally, you will need to perform a reboot to release the memory to solve this issue.  You may also try disabling the “Cast” feature on your Android device to help mitigate the issue until an update is released to permanently fix this issue on the device itself.

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System, RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 329 of 372
Blcklab
Apprentice

All my Google products function fine on 1.11.0.20 however. So it's Google products AND Netgear firmware.

2 home minis, Chromecast and Android 8.1 with zero issues right now, knock on wood.
Message 330 of 372
aani75
Apprentice

this problem applies to firmware > v2 

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System, RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 331 of 372
larryindublin
Luminary

@DarrenM and @AmitR,

Any update at all from Netgear about when there might be a new Beta with some additional possible fixes?

I made it 8 days with this beta without any perceived issues but last night roamed from Satellite to Router on an Android 7.0 phone and had the router (but not the satellite) reboot. I do have a chromecast on my network but have unplugged it in case it has impact (use very infrequently).

Message 332 of 372
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

Interesting comment on the Orbi Pro forum from johngm - Netgear Expert in response to a query about OrbiOS 2.1.1

"Orbi Pro is on a separate software release schedule and therefore is not subjected to issues which may show up in the standard Orbi releases.   In this case of common functionality we will typically release on the Orbi product first to reduce the likelihood of a service disruption for business customers."

So those who are thinking of trading up to the Pro at least know there will have been additional testing by the standard Orbi users before it is applied the Pro. 

Message 333 of 372
vladak04
Aspirant

I have similar issues like other unhappy customers on this forum. Purchased RBK50 system (Router RBR50 + 1 Satellite RBS50) 

Have about 40 devices on my network, some of them are Android.

After upgrading firmware to 2.1.16 I had constant router reboots. I tried pretty much everything recommended by other users:

1. Upgraded firmware to 2.1.2.10 Beta (Satellite first, then router - as recommended)

2. Tried Enabling/Disabling:  UPnP, Beamforming, MU-MIMO, FastRoaming (presently still ALL disabled)

3. Disabled Daisy-Chain Topology (don't really needed as I only have 1 satellite but it was enabled by default)

4. I do NOT use wired ethernet backhoul to connect main router to satellite

5. Did factory reset on both (router + satellite), then another clean upgrade to 2.1.2.10

6. Changed my SSID upon factory reset 

7. Changed WIFI channels and location of the router+satellite to avoid potential interference with other devices on the network

None of these things helped and I still have daily reboots. 

So I finally called Netgear support and spent about 2 hours today (most of it being on hold), before they suggested to replace my Orbi router due to potential hardware defect. 

I also provided debug logs (that were captured just minutes after another crash this morning) but they were not interested in analyzing logs or escalating to the next level of support (which is L2 I believe)

It is very unlikely that this is hardware related problem but they were willing to replace my router before investigating further.

I had to pay about $25 CAD for Advanced RMA return process in order to receive new unit before shipping the old/deffective one. 

It's free only if you send them your deffective product first and then wait for replacement, which was not an option for me becuase I no longer have my old router.

Message 334 of 372
dsegel
Tutor

I went through the support and replace process with two satellites. They satellites they sent had really old firmware (1.4.x), and couldn't be updated easily. I had to jump through a lot of hoops nerwork-wise to get them upgraded, and even then I still had the same problems. All in all it was a waste of several hours.

My problem isn't reboots, though - it's just loss of internet connectivity through the satellites. Local connections continue to work.
Message 335 of 372
vladak04
Aspirant

Yes, I have a feeling that replacing my router is going to be a total waste of time and money. I'm still suprised that support guys did not want to analyze my router debug logs and try to figure out what the problem is. It may be cheaper for them just to send new unit...

It is also interesing that hey only wanted  to replace my router and not the satellite that comes in the RBK50 package.

When i pointed out that my replacement router will likely have a different firmware than my satellite and cause another firmware upgrade etc. , they offered a free satellite exchange if it turns out that the problem is not related to my router. Bizare.

Message 336 of 372
larryindublin
Luminary

Let’s be honest when it comes to level 1 phone support, not specific to Netgear.

It’s a crapshoot...

Sometimes you’ll get a dedicated techie on their way up the ladder who is really dedicated and loves solving problems. And some companies empower their level 1 team to actually fix problems. Sometimes you get “level 0” support who is reading from a script and counting the minutes until their shift is over and they can get back to their parents basement. That’s when you try and find the “escalation trigger words” to get to Level 2 or Engineering support 🙂

Message 337 of 372
psrtx1
Star

What would be nice is if either Netgear provides us with a time frame to resolve the problem or option to replace the defective Orbi with Orbi Pro. I would think that would be a better business model then losing customers. But that’s just wishful thinking.

Message 338 of 372
Ejalvara2
Guide

Flinally, after reviewing an article on cnet.com, I decided to disconnect my google home, followed by re-starting both orbi router and satellite, and that seems to be more effective without any connection drop. I am on firmware 2.1.2.10 (seems to be the beta). I will continue to monitor, but as indicated in Cnet.com, until a new fix is found by google and Netgear, I will keep my google home disconnected (I also have Alexa, which seems to work better anyway!)

cnet.com article link: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-keep-google-home-chromecast-from-killing-your-wi-fi/

Message 339 of 372
wase4711
Luminary

If you are within your return period, I would recommend returning the Orbi home and going with the Orbi Pro; 3 days, no issues so far, and all sorts of google devices on my wifi network,,

Message 340 of 372
lowepg
Apprentice

Or... take your money and spend it with a company that treats ALL its customers well/ not just the “pro buyers”
Message 341 of 372
wase4711
Luminary

good luck finding one of those..

and, unfortunately, the Orbi is the fastest wifi"mesh" router out there now, so if thats what you want, your choices are pretty limited

Message 342 of 372
Blcklab
Apprentice

Or just go back to 1.11.0.20. Orbi Pro is running a 1.x firmware if I'm correct.

My Orbi is on day 3 of uptime since downgrading and power cycle of my modem, switch and orbis. I have Google homes, Chromecast and Android 8.1. No issues.
Message 343 of 372
HoopIII
Tutor

I updated to the Zyxel Multy X AC3000 Tri-Band. Works great and is just as fast or faster. I'm getting faster with no dropped or reboots. Had it for 5 days, very happy I moved on. Check there forums. No issue, so there are companies handling the Google home issue correctly. I have 4 Minnie's, home and a Chromecast. No issues since upgrading to the Multy X.
Message 344 of 372
wase4711
Luminary
Stars_fan
Aspirant

Is the expected behavior for a wired backhaul to disable the satellite radio?  If I unplug the cable 5G connects and enables the satelites radio again.

I'm not having any of the reboot issues.  The only android in my house is my A1E Sony TV but that's wired.

Also having a $ in your SSID password is not fixed in the beta.

Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 8.46.54 PM.png

Message 346 of 372
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@Stars_fan wrote:

Also having a $ in your SSID password is not fixed in the beta.

I have a beta that fixes the $ in password issue. For some reason they have not put it out to a wider beta but it has been stable for me for about a week. I don't think it fixes the Android issue and as I said before it's likely anyone that had a $ in their password removed it by now so that is not as big an issue. Still if you want that try PM the moderators.

Message 347 of 372
AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Let me give you a quick update on where NETGEAR is with the OrbiOS.  

Just before Christmas break, we paused the distribution of OrbiOS 2.1.  Very soon, we're about to restart the distribution of a slightly updated version of the beta (2.1.2).  In addition to the major new features introduced in 2.1 (e.g. Circle, Ethernet Backhaul), this firmware is expected to address the high CPU issue, as well as the special character in PSK issue as well as support for the Outdoor Orbi.  Check Release Notes for complete list.  

We are continuing to work on the issues with Google devices that have been documented in the press (several users have provided links here).  

My recommendation is that you should either use the Orbi Mobile App (if you haven't seen it recently, check it out, we've made some major improvements) or the Web UI to check for new firmware or wait until your system gets auto-upgraded.  

To answer your question, Stars_fan.  When Orbi are connected over Ethernet backhaul, the 5GHz band becomes hot standby.  

Orbi Product Management

Message 348 of 372
ML
Star
Star

Where can I get the latest 2.1.2 beta firmware?

Message 349 of 372
RobbieCrash
Guide

Check the first few pages.

Message 350 of 372
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7