Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

OrbiOS 2.1.1

aani75
Apprentice

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.1

Mine: FAST Roaming turned on.

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System, RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 201 of 372
JeremyWxB
Guide

My system has been stable on 2.1.1.6 for 19 days.

I have daisy-chain typology, fast roaming, MU-MIMO and Beamforming all on and running well.

Not saying others aren't having issues, but my system is working very well.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 202 of 372
aani75
Apprentice

@JeremyWxB wrote:

My system has been stable on 2.1.1.6 for 19 days.

I have daisy-chain typology, fast roaming, MU-MIMO and Beamforming all on and running well.

Not saying others aren't having issues, but my system is working very well.

Do you have any android phone or tablet ?

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System, RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 203 of 372
JoeM845
Luminary

@setham wrote:
... with time stamps I can tell that the router/satellites disconnect when I move from one area to another. ...

Could you please tell me where you are getting the time stamps. I have not been able to turn on any RBR50 log option to see connect/disconnect. I can't find anything on my Android phone.

Thanks.

RBK50 with fw 2.0.0.74; AP mode; Android 6.0

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 204 of 372
JoeM845
Luminary

Deleted after editted previous reply

Message 205 of 372
robertcdh
Apprentice

I wish it was that easy.  In the past couple of weeks, we switched one of our phones for a Moto Z2 with Android 8 and now the .74 firmware has the reboot issue.  Orbi, Android, or both might be at fault for the reboots. 

Message 206 of 372
robertcdh
Apprentice

I have the reboot issue and I have Fast Roaming turned off.

Message 207 of 372
wase4711
Luminary

lets be honest, NO onther router, askide from the Orbi home has been reported to have rebooting/disconnect issues because of Android OS; so there is something wrong with the software/firmware that has recently been pushed out to the Orbi home units. period

I've been testing Eero and Amplifi products for the last 2 weeks, and never once has my android phones caused any of the issues I was getting with the Orbi home units  on a consistent basis..Nor have I read a single post on any of the other mfg boards where people have noticed this happening at all

Message 208 of 372
madbrain
Luminary

robertcdh wrote:

I wish it was that easy.  In the past couple of weeks, we switched one of our phones for a Moto Z2 with Android 8 and now the .74 firmware has the reboot issue.  Orbi, Android, or both might be at fault for the reboots. 

Those devices might be the trigger, but nothing can cause Orbi to self-reboot except a bug in the Orbi firmware. So, the other devices are not at fault. Orbi is at fault. It's a useless piece of junk.

Message 209 of 372
spinkick
Apprentice

If we are actually being honest, yes, other routers, including other net gear models are rebooting. Check the pixel 2 forum on Google help, reddit, other places. It's probably related to something the device is doing, which even if it is misbehaving, shouldn't crash a router. The industry needs to fix this. Orbi for their part should figure out how to mitigate misbehaving devices and even better, report it to the user when it happens.
Message 210 of 372
Rich4
Aspirant

Revisited Orbi (too unstable so sidelined for the last couple of weeks) with the release of 2.1.2.10. For 11 hours it was stable but then started having reboots or loss of internet. Sometimes it would be up for hours, sometimes failing multiple times one after the other. 

I have a mixed house with apple and android phones and tablets, none are running android 8 and all are mainstream Sumsung or Motorola hardware. Just sidelined it again until an android workaround comes through. Luckily I have a D7800 that is more stable  otherwise it would have gone back to the store long ago. Not sure why I'm percervering now.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 211 of 372
wase4711
Luminary

can you post some links where there are reports of other routers rebooting because of Android OS? I havent seen a single one..

Message 212 of 372
spinkick
Apprentice

Message 213 of 372
robertcdh
Apprentice

Message 214 of 372
wase4711
Luminary

most of the posts in the firum you linked to are complaining about the Pixel disconnecting from wifi, NOT about their router rebooting because a pixel phone is connected to it..

Message 215 of 372
wase4711
Luminary

"quote.."Most of the reports are coming from people using Netgear Orbi routers"...

so, here again, where are the complaints from people using eeros/Amplifi/Velop, or any of the other mesh routers out now?????

Message 216 of 372
guzzijason
Apprentice

The fact that gear from multiple manufacturers are all suffering similar problems leads me to belive that either an upstream hardware supplier, or possibly some piece of commonly used open source software may be to blame. The question is, when the root problem is found, will it require a simple firmware update, or a recall and hardware replacement? The common denominator, however, continues to be the Android phones... focus on those if you want to identify the root cause.

Message 217 of 372
spinkick
Apprentice

Its related, some routers are disconnecting the device to prevent the reboot. Its part of the KRACK fix, its suspected.

This is a bigger issue that not just Orbi is dealing with. Maybe its manifesting differently with other routers but the problem remains, and seems to be related..

Message 218 of 372
robertcdh
Apprentice

@guzzijason wrote:

The fact that gear from multiple manufacturers are all suffering similar problems leads me to belive that either an upstream hardware supplier, or possibly some piece of commonly used open source software may be to blame. The question is, when the root problem is found, will it require a simple firmware update, or a recall and hardware replacement? The common denominator, however, continues to be the Android phones... focus on those if you want to identify the root cause.

Since I never had this problem with Android and Orbi prior to mid-December, I suspect that a software update on one or both is responsible for the issue.  So, I'm hoping that another software update could correct the problem.

Message 219 of 372
guzzijason
Apprentice

As for other routers rebooting, here's a sample after a very quick scan of the pixel forum. There are lots more, but I'm not going to spend the night compiling all of them:

Michael Karknee

Similar issue here. TP-Link AC750 Archer C2 router has been dropping its internet connection at least daily. Not a mesh network. Hardly ever had to reboot it for the past year of ownership.

Razrmon

I just saw this item and suspect that it may be causing a persistent problem I have been having since 8.0 upgrade. FIOS 100 router has been disconnecting Roku, Alexa, phones, and PCs. Only fix seems to be rebooting router. Is there a way to isolate. For example, shall I disable WiFi on Pixel when at home to see if problem goes away?.

Manish Kar

My modem/router reboots frequently when my Nexus 5X's wifi radio turns on. Specs and what I've tried so far below:

Modem/Router:
Bell Canada Home Hub 2000 (Manufacturer: Sagecom)
Device: Nexus 5X (32 GB) OS 8.1.0

quick_nick

I have Google WiFi and 2 pixel 2 devices (one a Pixel 2 XL) and we noticed all WiFi connections have had issues the past 3 weeks. The WiFi units are randomly rebooting.

k4rtik

I have a Pixel 2 and a Google Home Mini and facing a similar issue with my wifi router. Once I move with my phone from one room to another, the wifi stops working on all devices. The only cure I have found is to reboot the router, but that's too annoying.

My router is a TP-Link Archer C1200 V2.

Message 220 of 372
wase4711
Luminary

only 1 of those posters said they have a mesh router, so, you still havent proven your point about other mesh routers..

Message 221 of 372
robertcdh
Apprentice

I don't want to pick sides on who is right or wrong.  I guess the important thing is that there is obviously an issue with Android and Wifi that may, or may not, be connected to the problem we are seeing with the Orbi.

The Orbi is an awesome router that worked great until recently.  I hope Netgear can make it great again.

Message 222 of 372
guzzijason
Apprentice

Message 223 of 372
madbrain
Luminary

@robertcdh wrote:

The Orbi is an awesome router that worked great until recently.  I hope Netgear can make it great again.

Orbi was great for me during the first 3 months of ownership. Then all hell started breaking loose last summer after some forced software updates.

And I don't think it's been proven that the reboots have anything to do with Android. Correlation isn't causation. Until the root cause is really known, I don't think we can say. That will be when Netgear figures out why their routers are rebooting. Which is something they should have figured out before pushing updates.

Message 224 of 372
spinkick
Apprentice

Are people more interested in blaming Orbi for all their problems or getting down to the issue?
Message 225 of 372
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7