Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

OrbiOS 2.1.1

JMU1998
Luminary

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.1

@madbrain not "useless piece of junk" makes a fairly decent paper weight try it your self!

Message 226 of 372
madbrain
Luminary

@spinkick wrote:
Are people more interested in blaming Orbi for all their problems or getting down to the issue?

The two are not mutually exclusive. I took my Orbi offline and my issues went away. Now I'm waiting for Netgear to fix Orbi to put online again.

Message 227 of 372
spinkick
Apprentice

Okay, it just looks like despite what everyone is saying, that you are shouting at net gear when it's a larger issue at hand.
Message 228 of 372
lowepg
Apprentice

@spinkick wrote:
Okay, it just looks like despite what everyone is saying, that you are shouting at net gear when it's a larger issue at hand.

Not sure that any router should panic and reboot regardless of a what a client device tries to do. If that were the case, then a bad actor could maliciously crash netgear routers....

Seems like  security vulnerabilty if a rogue device can crash the router! 

Message 229 of 372
madbrain
Luminary

@spinkick wrote:

We are shouting at Netgear because they sold us buggy products and keep introducing regressions. Even if the bug is in some firmware they consume from a third party, ultimately they are the only ones who can integrate fixes into a working firmware fix for Orbi.

If there was a DD-WRT or Tomato firmware for Orbi, I bet those guys could do a far better job than Netgear is doing right now.

Message 230 of 372
aani75
Apprentice

People are frustrated because ORBI is not just some cheap stuff you buy and forget. It's not an average good sub $100 router ( in-fact its performance is even worst than these cheaper routers e.g asus mid range). Some people, like me, bought multiple kits because of ORBI's coverage and speed claim. I spent approx. $700 for my kits (RBK43 and RBK50). 

I have had Luma with 6 nodes and was having a lot of trouble getting full speed on all corners in my 4500 sq ft home, front  and backyard. I read amazing reviews on Amazon about ORBI and settled on it instead of going with EERO PRO. I agree ORBI looks much cooler than Luma or EERO PRO and have more LAN ports.

Recent updates to firmware made it worst. As a customer, I humbly demand Netgear fix these issues ASAP. If their ignorance continues, a major lawsuit might be coming their way for selling expensive lemons. If its a hardware issue, Netgear must acknowledge it and notify customers immediately and issue a recall for all defective units (which I think would end up being all ORBIs).

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System, RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 231 of 372
Greystorm64
Apprentice

@aani75aani75

>> I read amazing reviews on Amazon about ORBI and settled on it instead of going with EERO PRO. I agree ORBI looks much cooler than Luma or EERO PRO and have more LAN ports.   Recent updates to firmware made it worst. As a customer, I humbly demand Netgear fix

This is exactly my thoughts.  My wifi was adequate mostly through the house.. some dead zones but for the most part ok.  I cut the coard thsi year, added a bunch of Alexa's, camera's autolocking doors & security system, etc... I wanted a reliable fast wifi that covered all of my house.   So, I purchased the 7000sqft setup from Amazon.  RBR50, RBS50 & RBS40.  

its been about 6 weeks, and to date, I am so very disapointed.  the RBS40 actually works the best.  devcies right next to the RBS50 will connect to the RBS40.  

I have been monitoring the wifi signal from the router and both statallites, and I can see that one drops the 2.4 ghz band all the time.  Single strength drops to just about nothing, when its normally the highest.

Devices that should be connected to the 5ghz band will switch back and forth for no reason that I can disern, as I can see NO change in that specific signal strength when it happens.  And there is no way to force it.

It was an expensive solution, but a mesh-wifi was what I wanted to simplify things for my wife and kids.

But all I get now is complaints about "Dropped" "slow" "can't connect" etc.  

The RBS50 is a boat anchor.  NOTHING connects to it.   and I can tell this because I am running 2.0.0.74 on all devices and the device list on all the devices work.  almost everything downstairs connects to the RBS40, regardless of whether its far closer to the RBS50.

Afriad to upgrade to the beta, since I also work from home and can't afford issues.

And its too late to return.  I should have gotten a powerful nighthawk router and put in an AP or 2, but didn't want my kids trying to figure out what to connect to as they rome around the house.

They better fix it soon, or I will just have to accept I am out $600 and have to change out my system.  But I doubt I will be going netgear.

Message 232 of 372
fitsnugly
Star

Just an FYI, I had a Netgear support engineer call me last night and remote into my system to try and help diagnose my random rebooting issues (which increased dramatically with 2.1.2.10).  They basically had no answers as I had no devices known to cause issues (ie: Android 8.0+) , and had no newer firmware with any possible fixes to try.  They asked me to enable Debug Log Capture and LAN/WAN Packet Capture on both the router and satellite (both running 2.1.1.16) and send in logs after random reboots occur.  Not sure if that will actually crash a kernel panic crash dump or not (the potentially most helpful log) but it seems to me like they are in need of user data to help find the issues.

If anyone is experiencing random reboots (without Android 8.0+ devices) like myself, perhaps you can also enable the Debug Logs and send them in as well.  Hopefully more data being seen will result in an actual fix.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 233 of 372
wase4711
Luminary

they should just push the Orbi Pro firmware to these home units; the orbi pro has no reports at all of these weird issues happenning, and I have ordered a set of them to try and see for myself..check the pro forum and you'll see what I mean..

Message 234 of 372

There are likely one of two scenarios at play here:

1.  They have already tried just that, and it hasn't fixed existing issues (and/or even introduced new issues), or

2.  The hardware is different enough (haven't really researched specs of Home or Pro) that the firmware for the Pro wouldn't run on the Home models without significant refactoring, in which case you're probably better off with trying to solve the issues in the existing codebase.

Message 235 of 372
Richard1864
Luminary

I just got off the phone with Google, and Google DID confirm that there is a known issue with both Android 7.x and 8.x  (doesn't matter which Android device is in use) which causes kernel panics on routers made by Netgear, Linksys, Asus, TP-Link, Eero, Amplifi, Luma, and many others.  The kernel panics then result in either clients being disconnected from the router or the router rebooting.  The issue has existed for more than a year now, and they still don't know the cause or the fix, but that it is caused by the Android operating system itself.  

Message 236 of 372
wase4711
Luminary

yeah, you are probably right; from my research,  I learned they only put stable, working, proven features on the pro, so as to not screw up enterprise customers, and they use the home versions to try out new and experimental things, long before they put them on the enterprise units.

thats why I thought I would try the pro versions and see if its more stable than the erratic home versions have been

Message 237 of 372
wase4711
Luminary

@richard, sorry, I dont believe anything that Google person told you; I tested the Amplify hd with ZERO issues, and am currently using the Eero Pro setup with ZERO issues...and, if you read the forums for both of those products, NO ONE has reported any sort of reboot issue with any Android phone or tablet..

Message 238 of 372
lowepg
Apprentice

@wase4711 wrote:

@richard, sorry, I dont believe anything that Google person told you; I tested the Amplify hd with ZERO issues, and am currently using the Eero Pro setup with ZERO issues...and, if you read the forums for both of those products, NO ONE has reported any sort of reboot issue with any Android phone or tablet..

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/12/24/android-8-oreo-may-causing-wi-fi-connection-problems-mesh-ro...

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/forum/AAAAb4-OgUsE7sQJOTnXNk/

Multiple stories of EERO, Luma and Orbi uders having problems directly linked to these devices.

Message 239 of 372
guzzijason
Apprentice

@wase4711 wrote:

The point is, Google knows they have an android problem, and they are working on trying to resolve it. The fact that your particular environment isn't affected, while fantastic for you, is sort of irellevant in the grand scheme of things.

Message 240 of 372
wase4711
Luminary

not irrelevant to me, as I know that things get MEGA OVER EXXAGERATED on the internet...

the one common thread to many of these  reported issues in the Orbi Home Routers...

Message 241 of 372
spinkick
Apprentice

He's just going to jump up and down in here, no matter what evidence we give him. He'd lose his mind if he did IT for a living. You just don't fix things in an integrated world any more by not considering the interactions with other manufacturers. EVERYONE is working on this, including net gear. We all want the same thing.

If you happen to know more than us, please fix it.

My environment also does not reboot with Android 8 but I've had to work around it.

For my environment, I have daisy chain turned off, no wired satellites. The router is in AP mode with a firewall and cable modem for the gateway. I have a local windows server handling dns that towards to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google dns)

I have several Google chromes that randomly stop working, and I stream from my 8.1 pixel 2 which I believe is causing the issue. I can stream to Bluetooth no problem so it's gotta be something g with how android is crowding the wifi network or not giving other devices their turn to communicate.

My network is stable besides that, Hopefully this helps somebody
Message 242 of 372
guzzijason
Apprentice

@wase4711 wrote:

not irrelevant to me, as I know that things get MEGA OVER EXXAGERATED on the internet...

the one common thread to many of these  reported issues in the Orbi Home Routers...

Except that's patently false. It's been shown time and time again that it affects other routers than the Orbi. The common thread is, and has been, Android. FWIW, I don't have androind devices... and the only unexpected Orbi reboot I've ever seen is when I accidentally pulled the power cord out. Beyond that, I've been 100% solid.

And if you want to be pedantic about it, the Orbi (despite marketing claims) IS NOT a mesh system - it uses a star topology, which is a very different method of solving the same problem. So, claiming that Orbi is the only mesh sytem affected isn't accurate either... because... not a mesh.

Message 243 of 372
dsegel
Tutor

Unless you turn on Daisychaining, in which case it *IS* a mesh system.

Message 244 of 372
guzzijason
Apprentice

@dsegel wrote:

Unless you turn on Daisychaining, in which case it *IS* a mesh system.

Good point. I don't think that's been identified as contributing factor, though (i.e. reboots happen whether daisychain is enabled or not).

Message 245 of 372
Greyhawk68
Star

I don't have Android in my eco-system at all, and I was still getting tons of router/satellite reboots and disconnects, so while Android does contribute, Orbi still crashes without that in the mix.

That said, I've been up without a reboot or disconnect since Saturday morning on the new beta.

The changes in my environ were the beta software and not hardwiring much to the the Orbi's themselves, where before every port was full.

So right now:

AP Mode

Beta Software

1 printer plugged into the router

1 Hue bridge plugged into the satellite

Beamforming and MU-MIMO left on

Fastroaming off

Everything has been solid, which it hadn't been for months.  Today is my last day to return the eero pro (which was flawless) so I think I will in order to get $500 back.

Here's hoping it stays solid.

Message 246 of 372
Richard1864
Luminary

First, Eero's forum isn't a very active one, so that doesnt make it a really good reference point.  Second, I HAVE gotten my Eero 2nd generations to reboot with a Pixel XL 2.  Third, Eero's techsupport, if you were to actually CONTYACT them, would confirm what Google said, as did the Linksys Velop Team and the Amplifi tech support team.  I have all three systems plus Orbi, and ALL reboot randomly when my Pixel is connected.  The reboots vanish when the Pixel is NOT conneted, which means Pixel and Android are at least contributing factors.

Two things I did on my Orbi which appear to have greatly reduced the random reboots was disabling daisy chain in the firmware and then going into the debug menu and enabling Jumbo Frame support for traffic between LAN ports.  Then I rebooted my Orbi.  CPU load has since held steady BELOW 10% and memory usage below 200 MB for more than 16 hours now, with NO random reboots or kernel panics by  Orbi.  Connected Pixel, and the Orbi rebooted within 15 moinutes of Pixel connecting.  No Pixel, no reboots.  

Message 247 of 372
wase4711
Luminary

the eero forum isnt active because there arent as many issues as there are with the Orbi; people only post to complain, not compliment

Message 248 of 372
setham
Star

Hello,

Timestamp on the raspberry pi 3, not the router/satellites. You can also enable telnet and debug at the router at http://router-ip/debug.htm

I have the raspberry connected wireless to my  WiFI, and I have a script running every two minutes scanning for my SSID, pinging the router & satellites, two wifi devices within my home, two wired devices within my home and two different internet servers.

When something fails; ie. do not get
- three instances for my SSID (RBR50, RBS50, RBS40)

- reply from the pings

I log the time and what was the issue that triggered the alert.

In my case, I have a 4/6 reboots/disconnects every day for which I have not been able to correlate the cause (this is bad enough), however, when an Android device "roams" regardless of the version (I am testing with 6.x, 7x) I have most certainly a reboot/disconnect.

My system is configured as AP and I have all wireless advance options off.

My return window is by the end of the month, I have spent more time than I should have trying to figure what is the issue, as many had pointed out I was looking for simplicity moving from multiple SSIDs using PowerLine and wire-to-powerline repeaters.

I understand that Orbi most likely will never provide the granularity that I have using OpenWRT on my WRT1200AC, so using the systems as AP was expected when I bought the system, but trying to keeo my home network stable is becoming a full time job.

My QoS is in the drain, the customers (wife & kids) are very dissapointed with their WiFi Service.

BTW, this is my frst Netgear product, so far a very poor experience.

@JoeM845 wrote:

@setham wrote:
... with time stamps I can tell that the router/satellites disconnect when I move from one area to another. ... 

Could you please tell me where you are getting the time stamps. I have not been able to turn on any RBR50 log option to see connect/disconnect. I can't find anything on my Android phone.

Thanks.

RBK50 with fw 2.0.0.74; AP mode; Android 6.0

Message 249 of 372
Richard1864
Luminary

@wase4711 wrote:

the eero forum isnt active because there arent as many issues as there are with the Orbi; people only post to complain, not compliment

No, most don't use the Eero forum because most Eero users DON'T KNOW IT EXISTS!  It also isn't monitored by their tech support team; if you read the posts there, you'd see that mentioned many times by their SINGLE employee who moderates the page.  Eero also never really answers any questions posed there by customers either.  Anyone with issues is told to CALL THEIR TECHICAL SUPPORT.  I've used Eero since it first came out, and it is not perfect, nor is any networking device.  I've been on their forum since that was launched too, and I would not recommend it to anyone looking for help.  

Oh, and you can' just go by post titles on Eero's forum to tell if Android issues are there or not, you have to actually read them; thee are more than 300 posts under various titles about users having issues with Android and Eero, and none mention Android in the post titles.  

Message 250 of 372
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7