Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

OrbiOS 2.1.1

Bing-Stroller
Luminary

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.1

Quote from message 348:
Very soon, we're about to restart the distribution of a slightly updated version of the beta (2.1.2)
Message 351 of 372
Dd852
Luminary

AmitR - I do appreciate your keeping calm and working through the issues. I’d suggest more frequent updates in a more visible fashion - a pinned new topic is better in my view than message 348 in a thread! FYI the beta has been rock solid for me, but I’m an all Apple shop with no google/android at all. Thanks
Message 352 of 372
RSRA
Star

“the Orbi is the fastest wifi"mesh" router out there now, so if thats what you want, your choices are pretty limited”

Zyxel’s Multy X has exactly the same specs and although slightly limited in terms of its current firmware, has given me a month of flawless performance with backhaul speeds of 500mbps. Thankfully, I was able to return two sets of Orbi to Amazon without issue. 

Message 353 of 372
AF1E
Guide

I have been up for over 6 days on 2.1.1 which is a huge improvement over all firmware .74 and beyond with which I was rebooting multiple times a day.  I have android phones, a chromebook, chromecasts, apple devices, and pc's on the network.  My Silicondust HDHomeRun has remained connected which had been a problem.  I have two satellites and all is pretty good.  

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 354 of 372
mastervisa30
Luminary

New firmware upgrade is available V2.1.2.18,when i checked for updates

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 355 of 372
psrtx1
Star

Just updated 2.1.2.18 using the phone app. First 5mins are good, let's see how the day goes.
Message 356 of 372
tomsliwowski
Apprentice

Updated to 2.1.2.18, so far things seem OK but I find this a bit funny.

The router believes my 3D Printer is connected to the Satellite but in some unknown way? (it's wireless btw). The Satellite doesn't see it connected at all....

ORBI.JPGSATELLITE.JPG

Message 357 of 372
lbdyck
Star

Thank you for being a guinea pig - I have to wait until the end of my work day to install as I can't afford an outage today.

Message 358 of 372
MrX911
Apprentice

Beta 2.1.2.10 has been very stable for me but as of this morning I keep getting disconnects ans my cameras have gone down.  I’m not at home and just wonders if it has auto updated and Ive lost stability 😞

Message 359 of 372
guzzijason
Apprentice

Message 360 of 372
RobbieCrash
Guide

Well, I'm not going to say things are fixed yet. However, after updating to 2.1.2.18 I'm able to turn on the satellite, and connect my Pixel 2 to wifi, with all my other Google devices connected, and haven't had a reboot since updating. I'll see what happens over the next day or two, but this is more than I've been able to do since installing the system. 

CPU usage is still sitting at ~35% on the router, however. Guest mode is enabled, and the router is in AP mode. 

Message 361 of 372
spinkick
Apprentice

I don't think Google has fixed this yet and this firmware doesn't have the fixes. However I if the cpu is not being as taxed, it may be somewhat more resilient to the android bug
Message 362 of 372
webminster
Luminary

I appreciate the work Netgear is doing here.  But, I really wish they would stop pushing out these releases before either a) a more drawn-out testing, and/or b) a user-driven (not auto) beta period.   Just because 2.1.2.10 has some people stable doesn't mean all of us are, or especially that a new version based on that will be production ready (for autoupdate).

Personally, I went back to 2.0.0.76 due to some very unstable ping times on my LAN, which aren't nearly so bad in the older rev.   Been toying with regressing further to 1.11.0.20 even. 

I feel a little uncomfortable about having been implicitly enrolled in a beta test program just because I bought an Orbi.

Message 363 of 372
RobbieCrash
Guide

It was my understanding that there was no automatic update to 2.1.2.10 unless manually installed, nor an auto update to 2.1.2.18 unless you'd installed 2.1.2.10. Was your kit automatically updated from 2.1.1.x?

Message 364 of 372
webminster
Luminary

I didn't see anything about that, I saw Amit's post that suggested autoupdate starting for 2.1.2.18:

Just before Christmas break, we paused the distribution of OrbiOS 2.1.  Very soon, we're about to restart the distribution of a slightly updated version of the beta (2.1.2).

Message 365 of 372
larryindublin
Luminary

@AmitR wrote:

Let me give you a quick update on where NETGEAR is with the OrbiOS.  

Just before Christmas break, we paused the distribution of OrbiOS 2.1.  Very soon, we're about to restart the distribution of a slightly updated version of the beta (2.1.2).  In addition to the major new features introduced in 2.1 (e.g. Circle, Ethernet Backhaul), this firmware is expected to address the high CPU issue, as well as the special character in PSK issue as well as support for the Outdoor Orbi.  Check Release Notes for complete list.  

We are continuing to work on the issues with Google devices that have been documented in the press (several users have provided links here).  

My recommendation is that you should either use the Orbi Mobile App (if you haven't seen it recently, check it out, we've made some major improvements) or the Web UI to check for new firmware or wait until your system gets auto-upgraded.  

To answer your question, Stars_fan.  When Orbi are connected over Ethernet backhaul, the 5GHz band becomes hot standby.  

Orbi Product Management

@AmitR Very much appreciate the update. I do want to try and understand one thing...

The Release notes for 2.1.2.16 lists:

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the issue where connected devices do not display on the Attached Devices page.
  • Fixes the issue where connected devices on the Attached Devices page do not displays the correct Orbi that they’re connected to.
  • Fixes the issue where the CPU usage is high when the Orbi in AP mode.

The release notes for 2.1.2.18 lists:

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes an issue which causes high CPU on Orbi routers.
  • Fixes the issue where the attached devices do not display correctly on the Attached Devices page.
  • Fixes a WiFi issue if the WiFi password contains special characters,  
  • Fixes the issue where the satellite sometimes are shown as disconnected on Attached Devices Page.

Have the other "fixes" been updated as well? I don't have any special characters in my password. Should I expect ANY difference on this Firmware if I already updated to beta 2.1.2.10?

Thanks.

Message 366 of 372
nXXo
Apprentice

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-keep-google-home-chromecast-from-killing-your-wi-fi/

Very interesting how many of you have google products ???

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System, RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 367 of 372
Hydro130
Luminary

@nXXo wrote:

Very interesting how many of you have google products ???

I have 5 Google Home devices, and a couple of other Chromecast devices too (soundbar and streaming dongle).  I have not had ANY disconnect issues with my Orbi.

Message 368 of 372
tvc15
Aspirant

Is there a way to eliminate 2.4ghz on my router but keep it active on the satellites? My Samsung S7 Edge continually connects to 2.4ghz when I have a perfect 5ghz signal. Unfortunately, Samsung took away the ability to configure which one the phone connects to!

Message 369 of 372
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

We have released 2.1.2.18 offically please update to this firmware either via auto update or manual update on the support page. Please start a new thread if you have any issues related to the latest firmware.

http://www.netgear.com/support/product/orbi.aspx

DarrenM

Message 370 of 372
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

We have released 2.1.2.18 offically please update to this firmware either via auto update or manual update on the support page. Please start a new thread if you have any issues related to the latest firmware.

DarrenM

Message 371 of 372
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

DarrenM

Message 372 of 372
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7