Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.4.10 kills Internet access if you use Ethernet back haul

raykag
Guide

OrbiOS 2.1.4.10 kills Internet access if you use Ethernet back haul

I'd been happily using the RBK50 Orbi AC3000 single satellite system since June of 2017 and started using ethernet back haul succesfully around October 2017.  Typically 8-16 connections at any given time, and it worked great.  Suddenly lost internet connectivity on April 24.  After some debug eliminating my ISP and cable modem as the culprits, I assumed an Orbi hardware (firmware had been auto updated to 2.1.4.10) failure and exchanged both the router and satellite.  Installed the new hardware, installed 2.1.4.10 on both the router and the satellite, but same exact problem.  More debug, and everyhting works great as long as I use wireless backhaul.  If I try to use ehternet back haul, internet connectivity is killed.  Seems like the problem is related to firmware 2.1.4.10, since everything was working just fine till then.  

Anyone else have the same problem and/or any thoughts from Netgear?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 39

Accepted Solutions
hubers00
Initiate

I updated my firmware to 2.2.1.210 today and it solved the ethernet back haul taking the internet connection down and eliminated a couple of other oddities that I was experiencing.

View solution in original post

Message 38 of 39

All Replies
TeddyOH
Guide

Exactly the same issue. Didn't know it was specifically due to the ethernet backhaul. Rolled my firmware back to 2.1.2.18 and works perfectly again.

Now to figure out how to prevent future firmware auto updates!

Model: RBK44| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 2 of 39
Elofi
Tutor

I have the same issue. I have RBR50 and and two RBS50 connected through wire due to poor signal, everything was working fine and smoothly. however, the new firmware made some devices unable to connect to the LAN and if connected; the internet is not available. When I reveret back to the old firmware, everything went normally. The problem is the firmware is automatically updated without my knowledge and the problem keep occuring.

I found the Daisy chaining feature enabled in the new released firmware, and I disabled it; however, did not resolve the issue. Additionally, when disconnecting the RBS50 and only working on RBR50, the devices can connect to the router and able to use the LAN and internet enabled.

Kindly, if you found how to resolve it, please share.

Thank you.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 3 of 39
SwedBear
Tutor

I got a RBR50 and two RBS50 (both via wired backhaul). My network got borked yesterday when it auto-updated. I noticed that after I shut off both satellites it did actually work. I factory reset everything anyway and set up the satellites via WiFi and everything worked. I put back one of the satellites to wired ethernet and it still worked. I changed to wired ethernet for the other satellite also and boom, withing a few minutes (the admin shows the satellite was wired) the whole network went down again. Couldn't even access the admin via wired connection. Wifi kept loosing connection. removed the cable and it worked again.

I then turned off Daisy-chain topology and rebooted router and satellite and then, after making sure that 1 RBR50, 1 RBS50 via Wifi and 1 RBS50 via ethernet worked, put back the ethernet cable to the second RBS50 and waited. Now it's been a few hours and the network is still up and working fine.

So in my case turning off Daisy-chain topology did help. I might want to use that in the future though so it does not feel like a good compromise having to turned it off. 

It seems wired ether net overall has issues in this version. Some can't even get 1 satellite wokring and I had issues with 2. 

Message 4 of 39
Lpa66
Aspirant

I'm sitting here at 8:40 on a Sunday morning and my internet connection does not work, same as you. I don't know about these these Netgear people downloading these firmware updates and then nothing works. Looks to me like I'm going to have to go back to the previous release, same as you, but for about the past month I've been having a real problem with these firmware updates. I'm going to look at shutting them off. I'm actually getting really tired of this **bleep**.
Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 5 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the prior suggestion that was posted before yours and see if it helps.

Last resort, try a factory reset on the entire system and set up from scratch...

@Lpa66 wrote:
I'm sitting here at 8:40 on a Sunday morning and my internet connection does not work, same as you. I don't know about these these Netgear people downloading these firmware updates and then nothing works. Looks to me like I'm going to have to go back to the previous release, same as you, but for about the past month I've been having a real problem with these firmware updates. I'm going to look at shutting them off. I'm actually getting really tired of this **bleep**.

Message 6 of 39
Lpa66
Aspirant

I'll give it a try because I know my way around routers.....Problem is most people do not.

I paid over $300 for this mesh system back in Oct and out of the box it worked perfectly. My only problem was I could not hook up USB disks to the system but documentation said it was forthcoming, guess what, Still not part of the system. That being said, the last couple of months the Netgear people have been pushing out updates and each one has had problems. They don't adquately test these firmware updates.................Friend of mine said he would never buy anything NETGEAR again, should've listened. Cant see a way to shutoff auto update, do you know how to do it?

Model: RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 7 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Give the suggestion a try. Last resort you can factory reset everything and set up from scratch. Add the satellite first via wireless, then connect the ethernet cable between the router and satellite. Give 5 minutes to let the system re-configure. Top LED should turn BLUE. 

Any network switches in between the router and satelllites? If so, what is the Mfr and model#? 

@Lpa66 wrote:

I'll give it a try because I know my way around routers.....Problem is most people do not.

I paid over $300 for this mesh system back in Oct and out of the box it worked perfectly. My only problem was I could not hook up USB disks to the system but documentation said it was forthcoming, guess what, Still not part of the system. That being said, the last couple of months the Netgear people have been pushing out updates and each one has had problems. They don't adquately test these firmware updates.................Friend of mine said he would never buy anything NETGEAR again, should've listened. Cant see a way to shutoff auto update, do you know how to do it?

Message 8 of 39
raykag
Guide

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

I did try to connect the satellite via wireless back haul first, and it worked fine.  After making sure it was stable, I tried to switch to wired ethernet back haul, and it worked for about three minutes and then everything quit working.  No internet connectivity either wireless or even wired.  Couldn't even log-in to the router wired.

So, if you want to save your self some extra heartache, I'd suggset either rolling back to earlier firmware if you know how to stop auto firmware updates, or stick with wireless back haul and hope for a firmware fix.  Of course, I'd prefer the Ethernet back haul, but I have not figured out how to stop auto firmware updates, so I'm just living with 2.1.4.10 and wireless back haul for now.

One other "gotcha": If you decide to factory reset the router/satellite, and update firmware, make sure you do that using wireless back haul.  I had the satellite firmware get corrupted and had to exchange the hardware a second time because there was no way to recover from my situation.  Found out through another thread that was a "known issue".

Good luck to all.

Message 9 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you do a factory reset then set up the system again from scratch then try the wired back haul? Others have been getting theres to work.

Any network LAN switches in between the router and satellite by chance? 

@raykag wrote:

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

I did try to connect the satellite via wireless back haul first, and it worked fine.  After making sure it was stable, I tried to switch to wired ethernet back haul, and it worked for about three minutes and then everything quit working.  No internet connectivity either wireless or even wired.  Couldn't even log-in to the router wired.

So, if you want to save your self some extra heartache, I'd suggset either rolling back to earlier firmware if you know how to stop auto firmware updates, or stick with wireless back haul and hope for a firmware fix.  Of course, I'd prefer the Ethernet back haul, but I have not figured out how to stop auto firmware updates, so I'm just living with 2.1.4.10 and wireless back haul for now.

One other "gotcha": If you decide to factory reset the router/satellite, and update firmware, make sure you do that using wireless back haul.  I had the satellite firmware get corrupted and had to exchange the hardware a second time because there was no way to recover from my situation.  Found out through another thread that was a "known issue".

Good luck to all.

Message 10 of 39
raykag
Guide

Yes, tried the factory reset, connect wireless back haul, update firmware (suppose I could have skipped this, but again worried about auto firmware update, which would unpredictably crash me), then tried wired back haul.  Worked for about three minutes.

When I had all the problems, I removed all other wired devices, switches and access points, and worked to get just the Orbi wired back haul working.  Same problem.  Tired of my family complaining to me about no connectivity (they will deal with slower, although can't say I've seen a big performance hit), and can't spend mlore time dealing with it now, so I'll settle with wireless back haul for now.

Message 11 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

You may have a bad unit. Something to contact NG support about and ask for an RMA. If the units are not working directly connected, then there maybe a HW issue. 

@raykag wrote:

I'd been happily using the RBK50 Orbi AC3000 single satellite system since June of 2017 and started using ethernet back haul succesfully around October 2017.  Typically 8-16 connections at any given time, and it worked great.  Suddenly lost internet connectivity on April 24.  After some debug eliminating my ISP and cable modem as the culprits, I assumed an Orbi hardware (firmware had been auto updated to 2.1.4.10) failure and exchanged both the router and satellite.  Installed the new hardware, installed 2.1.4.10 on both the router and the satellite, but same exact problem.  More debug, and everyhting works great as long as I use wireless backhaul.  If I try to use ehternet back haul, internet connectivity is killed.  Seems like the problem is related to firmware 2.1.4.10, since everything was working just fine till then.  

Anyone else have the same problem and/or any thoughts from Netgear?

Message 12 of 39
Elofi
Tutor

Hi all

the resolution is in different thread "Re: OrbiOS 2.1.4 availability" by disabling the daisy chaning network and reboot all the devices.

Good luck all.

Message 13 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 14 of 39
raykag
Guide

Thanks FURRYe38 and Elofi.  I'll give that a shot.

Message 15 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out. 

Message 16 of 39
WAP
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've come to the conclusion that ethernet backhaul in 2.1.4.1 doesn't work even though it worked fine for me in the previous release (2.1.3.6?).  I've come to that conclusion based upon the following:

-6 days ago was autoupdated to 2.1.4.1 the problems started immediately.  My setup was 2 wired sats and 1 wireless sat.

-performed full-reset as has been advocated on the forum.  still nothing but problems.

-on day 5 decided to convert one of the wired sats back to wireless and left the other wired sat unplugged. (meaning I now have 2 wireless sats).  I had 3 days of zero problems with this config.

-to test if the wired sat was the problem I turned it back on.  It connected but it immediately knocked off one of my 2 wireless sats.  No combination of router rebooting or sat rebooting could get the knocked off wireless sat to come back.

-conclusion: given that I had 3 days with zero problems without ethernet backhaul and then no more than 5 minutes after plugging in the 3rd sat with ethernet nothing but problems my conclusion is that ethernet backhaul is broken.

To advise netgear of my config, I've been on the forum for months and made sure that when I did the full reset 6 days ago that I had everything turned off including daisy chain.  My wifi devices are very simple, a bunch of ipads and iphones and a couple of laptops.  I don't have sonos, I don't have apple home, I don't have cameras, I don't use VPN.  Other than a 2.5 ghz wifi sprinkler it is about as simple as you can get.  All told I have less than 10 wifi clients.  It can't be a orbi hardware issue because as soon as I unplugged the ethernet backhaul satellite and rebooted the wireless satellite and router one last time, the wifi satellite that refused to connect when there was ethernet sat present came back online in less than 3 minutes once that ether sat was gone.

-Right now I'm limping along with my 2 sats on wifi, really would like to be able to plug that 3rd sat back in but it is too far away from the orbi router is use wifi backhaul...this sat needs to be ethernet...ethernet availablilty was the whole reason I bought the orbi back in december.

My ISP is Uverse Gigapower.  BGW210 is the gateway (wifi disabled).  I have all the TV Set-top boxes isolated on a completely seperate netgear switch to ensure Uverse's multicast IGMP flooding is avoided.  The orbi router is in AP mode with static IP.  Every orbi option is turned off.  I've set the wifi channel to one.  I'm getting great performance out of the router and 2 wifi sats.  Getting 400 MBPS up and down on all three.

Netgear: I'm hoping that you have enough evidence from the field now that you need to look closer at this latest firmware and provide an update to the forum community.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 17 of 39
Peace_105
Aspirant

I have the same issue I believe (started around April 24, 2018 while I was away on travels, but wife and kids complained), seems it has started after firm-ware auto updated to 2.1.4.10.

There has been NO changes in devices setups, satelite distance etc, so the problem seems definitely caused by Netgear latest firmware auto-update..

Symptom: My single Satelite goes Magenta (on and off all the time)... very frustrating. Have done the basic reboot, sync etc. Problem persists.

Not sure what "Ethernet backhaul" is?

Thus, not sure what I should do? or wait for Netgear to address this?... Appreciate any advice, thx.

Message 18 of 39
Peace_105
Aspirant

Update: I have unchecked the Enable Daisy-Chain Topology under Advanced tab --> Advanced Setup--> Wireless Settings as I only have one satellite (I do not need Daisy-chain)

Rebooted everything.

Still the problem persists = the Satellite drops connection with the Router repeatedly (goes on Magenta ... then goes blue, then Magenta again etc etc, all within 3-5 minutes cycles as it seems.

Message 19 of 39
budy
Luminary

I actually do not have any issue with wired backhaul - it worked fine in each of the lastest FWs. I wonder, what people do see, if they try to sniff the wired network using tcpdump or Wireshark.

There must be some broadcast stroming going on, when the wired connections drop in such way.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 20 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem? Built in router here by chance?

Any network switches in the mix between the router and satellite?

Did you first set up the satellite via wifi, then connect the ethernet cable to the satellite and give it 5 minutes to re-configure the wired back haul?

Swap LAN cabling between router and satelllite to test.

@Peace_105 wrote:

Update: I have unchecked the Enable Daisy-Chain Topology under Advanced tab --> Advanced Setup--> Wireless Settings as I only have one satellite (I do not need Daisy-chain)

Rebooted everything.

Still the problem persists = the Satellite drops connection with the Router repeatedly (goes on Magenta ... then goes blue, then Magenta again etc etc, all within 3-5 minutes cycles as it seems.

Message 21 of 39
Peace_105
Aspirant

@ FURRye38

"What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem? Built in router here by chance?

Any network switches in the mix between the router and satellite?"

I have Internet optic fibre, between that a small white box that convers signal to a "regular Ethernet" I assume, not sure what that one is called It says "Raycore", it is not a Router, I am pretty sure of that. Please note this is not a new setup, I have had the Orbi system for some 8 months. This latest problem started after firmware auto-update (most likely). I was away but wife and kids reported problems around April 24 (I just got back home and I am starting to deal with it).

"Did you first set up the satellite via wifi, then connect the ethernet cable to the satellite and give it 5 minutes to re-configure the wired back haul?

Swap LAN cabling between router and satelllite to test."

I have not connected any what so ever ethernet cable to the satellite. It is only connected to the Orbi Router by Wi-fi and was originally set up by Wi-Fi only.

So, I am not entirely sure what you mean? Should I connect the Orbi Satelite to the Orbi Router by Ethernet Cable and then do something?

Highly appreciate your time and effort to help!

Message 22 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/My-only-ONE-1-satellite-repeatedly-disconnects-after-AUTO-upda...

@Peace_105 wrote:

@ FURRye38

"What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem? Built in router here by chance?

Any network switches in the mix between the router and satellite?"

I have Internet optic fibre, between that a small white box that convers signal to a "regular Ethernet" I assume, not sure what that one is called It says "Raycore", it is not a Router, I am pretty sure of that. Please note this is not a new setup, I have had the Orbi system for some 8 months. This latest problem started after firmware auto-update (most likely). I was away but wife and kids reported problems around April 24 (I just got back home and I am starting to deal with it).

"Did you first set up the satellite via wifi, then connect the ethernet cable to the satellite and give it 5 minutes to re-configure the wired back haul?

Swap LAN cabling between router and satelllite to test."

I have not connected any what so ever ethernet cable to the satellite. It is only connected to the Orbi Router by Wi-fi and was originally set up by Wi-Fi only.

So, I am not entirely sure what you mean? Should I connect the Orbi Satelite to the Orbi Router by Ethernet Cable and then do something?

Highly appreciate your time and effort to help!

Message 23 of 39
raykag
Guide

OK, it's only been about four hours, but Ethernet Back Haul with 2.1.4.10 has been working without any hitches after disabling Daisy Chain mode.  I'm not sure you need to do all of what I did, but here are the steps I took to make it work:

- From a state of NO internet connectivity using Orbi Router and Single satellite with Ethernet Back Haul cable connected using firmware 2.1.4.10

- Disconnect Ethernet Back Haul cable

- Disconnected all other hard wire conections to router and satellite

- Turned off router and satellite.  I did NOT factory reset them.

- Reset my cable modem (just to eliminate any doubt, but I'm not convinced this is necessary)

- Powered up the router and satellite and let them connect via wireless backhaul per the manual

- Reconnected the hard wires (except do NOT connect Ethernet back haul) and verified I had good connections with my devices, and most importantly, that my wife had internet :<)

- Waited a day, both to make sure wireless back haul was working, and for a time I would not deprive the household of internet if things went bad

- Logged into router and went to "Advanced" tab, Advanced Setup, Wireless Settings and deselect "Enable Daisy-Chain Topology".  In other words, remove the check mark.

- The previous step took a few minutes, so be patient.  There is no real indicator of what is going on.  Sorry, I forget whether the router webpage just reappeared or if I had to re-log-in

- LAN and internet still worked with wireless back haul.  I let it run in this config (Daisy Chain disabled) for a few hours to be sure.

- Turned off the router and the satellite.  Reconnected Ethernet Back Haul cable.

- Held my breath and powered up the router and satellite.  The satellite ring turned blue very quickly. I should have logged into the router to see if it had established a wired connection, but I was suspicious and pressed "Synch" on the router and satellite anyway.  After about a minute, the satellite ring turned magenta, but do NOT PANIC.  Wait a couple more minutes and the satellite ring turned blue again.

- Logged into router and under "Basic", "Attached Devices", the Satellite showed as a Wired connection!

- Checked my devices and had LAN and internet except for a single Windows 10 laptop.  Rebooted the laptop and the internet and LAN worked fine.  Rebooted my wireless printers for good measure, which are always finicky anyway.

- Anyway, been working for four hours plus.  Wish I could disable auto firmaware updates, or that my router config would be left the same after an auto update.

Hope this helps anyone else with this problem and thanks again to Elofi and FURRYe38!

Message 24 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for the details post.

One thing that users shouldn't need to do however they can follow your process if they want to, you don't need to turn OFF the router and satellite then connect the ethernet back haul cable then turn on and hit the sync buttons. In a wireless backhaul configuration and the system is ON, users should be able to connect the ethernet cable to the satellite and then let the system re-configure the connect automatically. give 5 minutes and look for the BLUE Led on top. This method should work as well.

Glad yours seems to be working. Let us know how it goes thru the weekend.

Message 25 of 39
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 38 replies
  • 19 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7