Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.4 + Homekit

khudsn7
Star

My previous post stated that the upgrade to 2.1.4.14 did not work for me(I was still having "no response" in my homekit app to many of my items after this update).  I had to delete all accessories in the homekit app and have re-added them back into homekit.  (A REAL pain because I have 30+ accessories).  But now, it does appear that homekit is working correctly and connects to all accessories as it is suppose to with this new 2.1.4.14 update.  At least it is working OK for the last hour.  Lets hope this lasts.

Ken

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 51 of 114
rlmancebo
Aspirant

My upgrade finaly worked after deleting the download files and trying again. So far it shows to be more stable in Homekit.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 52 of 114
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have only had an ORBI for a month now, I have to say overall I am very happy with it. I am dismayed at the level of negativity here, first of all the verison of firmware is obviously not a full release so those complainng about auto update your device will not auto update to this verison. I understand people want the option to disable auto update, and I am quite sure Netgear has heard you on that. I am not trying to be a troller or personally attack anyone but the level of whinning and complaing does no one any good for many reasons. 

With that said I came over from a LINKSYS device their top end model to be exact (EA9500), and it has many bugs and we get about one Firmware update a year on it and it was terrible. I for one am thankful Netgear updates so awesome because that means they are fixing problems and making the product better in a reasonable time frame. Yes there are problems and isuses, and this is the place to post them allowing Netgear to know about them makes sure they can get addressed quickly which it seems they are doing.

I Also think it is great they are giving people here and oppurtunity do download the beta builds, if you don't want to, don't downlaod it as simple as that, they place them here in the forum because you will NOT GET AN AUTO UPDATE to these builds until they are in full release. 

So again all these updates and beta firmwares are a good thing making this product better, so please try to give constructive feedback, and stop the non-constructive whinning. 

Also I FOUND A FIX for some of my devices geting stuck on 2.4 GHZ wireless I had 2 devices doing this a new iPad Pro and soemtimes my Samsung phone. I only have one legacy 2.4 GHZ device a nest thermostat, so I realized that these devices that were switching to the 2.4 GHZ band were doing so becuase they were seeing a higher recieved signal level, all I did is change the power level on the 2.4 GHZ band down to 50% the thermostat still connects fine and all the other devices stopped getting stuck there and are now switching to the 5 GHZ band with no issues, I left the 5 GHZ at 100% power. 

This actually makes sense becuas the 2.4 GHZ band will normally travel further than the 5 GHZ, so by cutting the power level down to 50% it makes it just a little bit weaker so devices see it but stil connect to the stronger 5 GHZ band now.

I don't even think it is a Netgear issue as I have 2 iPad Pros, a 2017 model and a 2016 model the 2016 model had not had this issue at all the 2017 did have it all the time until I turned the power down to 50%, this tells me it is something specfic to some Apple models or other wireless devices but not all. 

Anyway I hope you find my comments helpful, and I hope to see more bug fixes and more firmware updates being posted in this forum by Netgear, as this means more bug fixes faster, not like Linksys realising one update a year. : ) 

Everyone thinks the grass is greener on the other hill but when they get over there they realize how good they had it, waiting a year for bug fixes or any word from Linksys was horrible, thank you Netgear!

Message 53 of 114
Dd852
Luminary

I basically agree with your comment. When things go wrong it can be horribly frustrating and that has a tendency to manifest itself in some pretty pointed and nasty posts. I’ve been lucky that other than some HomeKit problems i’ve had a very good experience with Orbi. And HomeKit now seems absolutely fine. My good experience certainly doesn’t negate the fact that many people have had problems, but I too would urge some balance in tone and a recognition that the fixes are coming relatively quickly in consumer electronics terms.

Message 54 of 114
cheshbr
Apprentice

On one hand i’m Inclined to agree with you about less whining, but you are relatively new to the Orbi system, whereas others have been using Netgear Orbi hardware for some time now, and have experiences with firmware auto-updates that have fixed one problem, but inadvertently created another. It seems to me that an option to disable auto-updates is not unreasonable. My Samsung smart TVs, my Apple TV, Yamaha receiver, desktop Macs, IOS devices, etc all have a user-configurable default setting of auto update or manual.  Netgear, unfortunately has a policy of rolling out auto updates with no prospect of user intervention.  (I have an email from Netgear confirming this).

I think that if these and other issues are conveyed to Netgear in reasonable language, setting out the facts, it is not whinging, it’s called customer service, to which we are entitled, having paid for goods for a particular purpose in good faith that they will work.

Message 55 of 114
khudsn7
Star

Sorry, I do NOT agree with your criticism for the complaints here. As you said, "you have only been using ORBI for a month".  Saying that one product from one manufacturer is worse than this manufacturer, therefore we should be satisfied with what we have, expecially when paying for a premium product, is certainly not a excuse and shows your lack of understanding for what has happened here.  

I have been using ORBI for about 5 months now, and was extremely pleased with this router up until recently when an automatic update suddenly destroyed most of my(30+) homekit devices for which I had paid several thousands and they suddenly stopped working. After many hours and days of frustration, and back and forth with these accessory manufacturers, it finally became apparent that it was the router that was the problem.   And the fact that they did an automatic update without my knowledge and did not give us the ablility to roll back(as so many other products do) became a major problem for me and many others.  Products that control your lights, security, heating, locks, and other information, suddenly stopped working.

It is like other technology that we all have become so used to, like the cell phone.  It is hard to imagine how people got along 20 years ago without one.  Take it away and WATCH what happens.  Geesh...I actually had to manually flip on all my light switches, lock my doors manually, set my heating manually, and I no longer could watch the occassional rabbit or deer set off my security cameras.  What's a poor fella to do??  I used to have a full head of hair...now, not so much!

Anyway, I am thankful that Netgear FINALLY did put out a fix, and all is well, again.  However, if they are unable to test these updates more thoroughly, the very least they could do, is to give us the ability to roll back, if something like this happens again.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 56 of 114
cheeky
Tutor

I was one of the beta testers for RBR50-V2.1.4.10-0430-dbg and things appeared to stabilize HomeKit.

However, now I'm having new issues with devices appearing to be connected to WiFi, but losing their internet connections. iPhones, iPads, AppleTV, PC laptops - all are intermittently losing their internet connections. DirecTV Now streaming keeps dropping out with 'lost internet connection' then resuming after 30-40 seconds.

I had hoped that applying the new hotfix firmware V2.1.4.14 would help - it did not.

This is absolute nonsense. I want to downgrade to RBR50-V2.0.1.4, the last version that didn't have any of these issues for me and I can't even do that because of autoupdates.

I'm close to tossing this system out the window and going with a different OEM.

Message 57 of 114
cheeky
Tutor

Update: I think I was finally able to disable autoupdates.

I followed these instructions: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/m-p/1323973/highlight/true#M103...

But with one additional setting:

orbi_auto_upgrade=0

auto_check_for_upgrade=0
auto_update=0

orbi_auto_upg=0

Setting all 4 of those to 0, I was able to downgrade to 2.0.1.4. And while the latest publicly available FW 2.1.4.10 shows as *available*, it is NOT autoupdating this time.

With that successful downgrade, I'm now 100% stable again. No HomeKit issues, no dropped Wifi internet connections.

Get your sh*t together, Netgear.

Message 58 of 114
cheshbr
Apprentice

I’m still using the beta  V2.1.4.10-0430-dbg which seems perfect. I seem to have a stable HomeKit Lifx environment, with no issues I can see.  I  was a beta tester so I have had this dbg version in place for around two weeks now. I am happy with it, so I won’t be upgrading from it  any time soon.  

By the way I have had my Orbi RBK50 system for about two months now, and it has never auto updated.  There was some scuttlebut I read early in my time with Orbi that said if you do a manual FW upgrade the auto feature is disabled. I can’t prove that, so I don’t want to create false news if it’s not true, but it works for me. I also carried out the Telnet fix so I seem to be quarantined from auto updates for now

I keep reading that people have FW V2.1.4.14. Where did that come from?  I can’t find where it can be downloaded. 

Message 59 of 114
AC641
Luminary

chshbr asked.  "I  keep reading that people have FW V2.1.4.14. Where did that come from?  I can’t find where it can be downloaded. 

May I refer you to post 43 in this thread.

Message 60 of 114
cheshbr
Apprentice

Got it.  Thanks

Message 61 of 114
Sdiver2489
Apprentice

So I installed 2.1.4.14 to see if it happens to fix my RainMachine disconnect issue. Only time will tell on that one...but I do have a rather odd issue that has cropped up I think since 2.1.4.10...my A/V receiver wakes up from standby mode randomly now. It should only wake when airplay or something wakes it up but now it seemingly happens at random. Any way I can track what packet is waking the device?

Message 62 of 114
eljarviso
Luminary

It’ll be a broadcast packet. Setup wireshark on a computer and perform a packet capture. You should be able to see the broadcast packet and it’s source.
Message 63 of 114
AC641
Luminary

@AC641 wrote:

Updated to v2.1.4.14 on both RBR50 and RBS50 (satellite first).  The update went smoothly.  It will take me a few days to determine whether it has cured my issues with Philips Hue Routines becoming unreliable; here's hoping!

After four days my Hue Routines have been faultless.  I'll give it at least a couple of weeks before stating that v2.1.4.14 has definitely cured my Hue issue but it's promising so far.

Message 64 of 114
EagleKlaw
Tutor

Ok, so after going through the weekend, my system has been mostly stable.  The one thing that I am noticing is that when I am inside my local network, my HomeKit stuff reports and functions nearly flawlessly with all devices reporting the correct status; however, when I am outside my home accessing the system remotely it is very sporadic. Sometimes everything reports as "no response" and sometimes only random devices (but typically hue based) report as "no response", and sometimes it reports correctly. 

Anyone have any ideas on what could cause this behavior or seeing similar?

Message 65 of 114
eljarviso
Luminary

What are you using as your HomeKit hub while you are away? I’m using an Apple TV 4K. If you use something like an iPad there might be issues with slow wifi reconnect when requesting HomeKit status.
Message 66 of 114
cheshbr
Apprentice

I have an Apple TV 4th gen and a HomePod. Both are on 100% of the time

Message 67 of 114
EagleKlaw
Tutor

aTV4 / aTV4k / HomePod. No iPad involved.

Message 68 of 114
fcwest
Star

I'm seeing the exact same behavior using Apple TV 4K as HomeKit hub.

@EagleKlaw wrote:

Ok, so after going through the weekend, my system has been mostly stable.  The one thing that I am noticing is that when I am inside my local network, my HomeKit stuff reports and functions nearly flawlessly with all devices reporting the correct status; however, when I am outside my home accessing the system remotely it is very sporadic. Sometimes everything reports as "no response" and sometimes only random devices (but typically hue based) report as "no response", and sometimes it reports correctly. 

Anyone have any ideas on what could cause this behavior or seeing similar?

Message 69 of 114
eljarviso
Luminary

I haven't seen the problems but it might be something to do with my setup.   I have a seperate router and am running the Orbi's in AP mode.  I have an Apple TV 4K as my main hub and a regular Apple TV 4 as backup.  Maybe there is some blocking when Orbi is running in router mode.

Message 70 of 114
AC641
Luminary

I've experienced problems with Philips Hue (I don't have any Apple HomeKit) and I'm running the Orbi in AP mode.  v2.1.4.14 of the firmware seems to have resolved the issues for me.

Message 71 of 114
IssyGal
Aspirant

Netgear should add this bit of instructions for MacBook pro owners with USB-C only connections. I did not want to buy a dongle just for this process.I was able to upload the firmware via web and my Homekit is alive again so far.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 72 of 114
cheshbr
Apprentice

IssyGal, I have no idea what you are trying to say in your post about MacBook Pro owners with USB-C only. You seem to have answered your own post.  I’m interested in what you say as I am a MacBook owner with USB-C only.  Please clarify

Message 73 of 114
IssyGal
Aspirant

To Cheshbr,

Sorry... I had hit the "Reply" button to Message 24 and hoped my comment would appear right below it. The instructions to install the firmware mentioned connecting your Ethernet cable to your computer which you can't do with the latest MacBook Pros as there is no Ethernet cable connection. 

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 74 of 114
AC641
Luminary

@IssyGal wrote:

To Cheshbr,

Sorry... I had hit the "Reply" button to Message 24 and hoped my comment would appear right below it. The instructions to install the firmware mentioned connecting your Ethernet cable to your computer which you can't do with the latest MacBook Pros as there is no Ethernet cable connection. 

That issue is not limited to just MacBook Pro owners.  My HP Spectre laptop only has USB-C but they supply a short USB-C to Ethernet adapter cable.  Apple has one listed on its site but you'll get one far cheaper elsewhere.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/HJKF2ZM/A/belkin-usb-c-to-gigabit-ethernet-adapter

Message 75 of 114
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7