Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

OrbiOS 2.1.4 + Homekit

cheshbr
Apprentice

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.4 + Homekit

You really don’t need to use Ethernet.  Do you have WiFI set up on your devices?  That’s the solution you need.  Ethernet is a protocol for fast file transfers between other devices such as hard disks and other computers, and in a working environment where users interact with private servers. Ethernet speeds significantly exceed the speeds available on the Internet.   For everyday transactions over the Internet, WiFi will meet your needs.   

Once you have a WiFi connection, take your mind off it and just download the firmware. The website providing the download will not care

Do you need a hand to set up WiFi?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 76 of 114
mromberg
Initiate

So is there an auto upate that fixes the Homekit problem yet or do we still have to go the manual route?  I just installed my new Orbi on Tuesday and did an auto update - Homekit is very spotty still.

Message 77 of 114
Sdiver2489
Apprentice

You still have you manually install 2.1.4.14. I updated but I don’t use Honekit but so far my Rainmachine has finally stayed connected!
Message 78 of 114
cheshbr
Apprentice

It is my preference to always do manual updates, satellite first. I created an Orbi sub-folder in my Mac’s download folder, into which I manually download the two firmware versions for each upgrade, so I can easily downgrade to a previous version known to be stable.  

Message 79 of 114
BAMF-HacKeR
Initiate

This beta release firmware has fixed all my HomeKit issues

Message 80 of 114
Sdiver2489
Apprentice

I have had no disconnect issues...however I did have my internet drop out from Comcast twice (Comcast's fault) but what I have noticed is that the Orbi doesn't recover well from this with this firmware. The internet seems to still work...but it is very slow (20mbps) or so. I have to disconnect the router and satellite and reconnect the router. Then I have to resync the satellite or it will still be a slow connection. This is using ethernet backhaul.

My only other issue is I am still having the wake on lan occurring with my Denon receiver. I installed wireshark but I really don't know how to filter down to what I want to see. I saw a number of broadcast "who is" type messages but am not sure if this is causing my issues.

Message 81 of 114
epsilonkore
Apprentice

Excellent job Netgear, HomeKit devices are fully responsive again! 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 82 of 114
ovq
Guide
Guide

All links in the first thread are dead. 

Message 83 of 114
ricciolo
Aspirant

Rif.: OrbiOS 2.1.4 + Homekit

Could be that the bug affects something else protocols? Do we have more details about it? I've a SIP network and the client is not able to prefetch the video or send special commands, if it's connected though Orbi. If I use another Wi-Fi AP everything works great.

Message 84 of 114
DNichter
Star

At first, the updated firmware's had fixed my issue. Now I am running into another issue that I feel may be related. My HomeKit set up works fine for me, but my shared access to my significant other cannot keep a connection. We are using a HomePod as the hub and it disconnects for her after a few minutes. We are on the same wifi network, strong connection, tried resetting homepod, tried removing and readding her again, no luck. Any suggestions?

Message 85 of 114
Binaries
Aspirant

I am also having major Homekit connection issues. I tried to download this firmware but the link is not working. Can someone please help? I get the error message "Requested File does not exist" and asking for a File code. I am looking for RBR50 and RBS50. Thanks in advance!

Message 86 of 114
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Also not able to download the beta firmware.  Getting "Requested file does not exist!"  Really thinking of returning the kit fo Costco.  But what's the alternative???

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 87 of 114
DNichter
Star

I would return it while you can. I have had nothing but problems. Eero is supposed to work great with HomeKit and other Apple gear. I'd suggest that.

Message 88 of 114
AC641
Luminary

I've uploaded the v2.1.4.14 (Homekit Fix) files to my Dropbox account; here are the links if you'd like to download:

RBR50: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y2wb8ypc5ks5sq6/RBR50-v2.1.4.14.img?dl=0

RBS50: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0oxmjpw9zngvcgn/RBS50-v2.1.4.14.img?dl=0

Let me know if you have problems downloading (I don't use Dropbox often).

It has now been over 2 weeks since I installed this firmware and I have had zero issues with Philips Hue since.

Message 89 of 114
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks AC641!  What ISP are you using Orbi with?  FIOS?  Internet stable since installing 2.1.4.14?  Also, Since this firmware is technically newer with a higher version number, the auto-update isn't wiping it out, right?

Message 90 of 114
AC641
Luminary

@Retired_Member wrote:

Thanks AC641!  What ISP are you using Orbi with?  FIOS?  Internet stable since installing 2.1.4.14?  Also, Since this firmware is technically newer with a higher version number, the auto-update isn't wiping it out, right?

I'm in the UK and I use the EE 4G network for my home broadband.  I live in a rural area and there's no fibre or decent broadband speeds via the phone line so I have ditched it entirely.  I have no idea what FIOS is or means.  The firmware has not been overwritten by Auto-Update,

Message 91 of 114
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Eero looks promising, but I love how the RBR50 and RBS50 have so many ethernet ports and I fully utilize them.  Getting Eero would involve adding switch boxes.  Also, the 2nd gen Eero doesn't have a USB port.  I'm using an old trusty workhorse HP laserjet printer that I need the USB connection for.  I'm going to try the beta firmware and see if that alleviates my Homekit issues.

Message 92 of 114
cheshbr
Apprentice

Here’s a link to someone who has saved the firmware in his Dropbox account

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-1-4-Homekit/m-p/1577706#M32231

Message 93 of 114
ricciolo
Aspirant

Anybody with RBK40 firmware version?

Message 94 of 114
DoubleYouEh
Aspirant

The links to the firmware that are down!!

Where else can I download V2.1.4.14 for RBS50?

Thanks

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 95 of 114
AC641
Luminary

@DoubleYouEh wrote:

The links to the firmware that are down!!

Where else can I download V2.1.4.14 for RBS50?

Thanks

Post 89 in this thread.

Message 96 of 114
ek_shaikat
Aspirant

None of the given links is working. I need the firmware update for RBR40. Can anyone help?

Message 97 of 114
cheshbr
Apprentice

Post 89 of the current thread, by AC641 who publishes links to his Dropbox account as follows

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-1-4-Homekit/m-p/1577668#M32227

Try this

Message 98 of 114
hshamilt
Initiate

I'm not sure what happened to the files on Netgear's servers, but Netgear needs to get their act together soon.

No insult, but I will not be installing router firmware downloaded from a dropbox account.  That's how you end up on a bot-net. 

Message 99 of 114
ek_shaikat
Aspirant

Thanks, but the firmwares are for RBR50 and RBS50. My router is RBR40 and the satellite is RBW30.
Message 100 of 114
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7