Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.4 availability

AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

OrbiOS 2.1.4 availability

A quick update.  We're about to release an updated version of OrbiOS 2.1.4 in the next few days through our auto-update mechanism for all Orbi models.  When it goes live, you should see a prompt in the Orbi Mobile App (or the WebUI) to upgrade your firmware.  In addition to the connectivity fixes in 2.1.3, has a few additional bug fixes from the last release (2.1.3).

Orbi Product Mangement

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 258
OrbiMan
Luminary

Now does this require a full reset? From 2.1.2.18
Message 2 of 258
Rattler
Guide

In the meantime can we get a download link for 2.1.4? Would love to tortue myself with it.

As for OrbiMan's question. I haven't done a reset since I purchased my Orbi 6 months ago. I have entered way too many port forwarding and LAN Address Reservations to have to reset every time. I would only consider it if I were having problem, of which I am not.

Message 3 of 258
Wizec
Apprentice

I just got a prompt for the update and it is installing now.

Are the new fixes also related to connectivity?

Thanks
Message 4 of 258
pm73it
Aspirant

Hi, the web interface tells me that the updrade is available only for satellites and not for router...

How is this?

any direct link to update manually?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 5 of 258
wifi_en
Star

Rlease notes says still there is know issue with 2 or more satellite

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the issue where Orbi app displays a “Router Not Setup” message and requests the user to setup their Orbi router again even though the user already completed the Orbi router installation.

Known Issue:

• When user has two or more Orbi satellites connected to Orbi router using Ethernet backhaul connection, an Orbi satellite might not connect to the Orbi router after the firmware update. A workaround solution is to reboot the Orbi router and then wait for 2 –5 minutes.

So should we still wait for a fix?

Message 6 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 7 of 258
Wizec
Apprentice

What happened to me this morning was my WiFi connectivity went to heck in a hand basket. Long WiFi drops over and over again.

I decided to try a factory reset since I had never tried that since purchasing the system. Right after I did that, the Orbi app on my phone prompted me that there was an update available, so I updated from within the app. It updated my satellite and router.

It’s also possible that they have some kind of phased rollout when it comes to router update detection, say by serial number or something, and my serial number just happened to be in the pool that can detect the update from the router this morning. I have no idea if that’s a thing though.

Message 8 of 258
pm73it
Aspirant

So... the release notes say that with 2 or more ethernet backhaul satellites there will be issues...

I have 2 satellites, and with os 2.1.3.4 the ethernet backhaul was a pain.

So that has not been resolved.

But release notrs say tat is enaugh to wait 2-5 minute for it ti fix by itself???

Or is beter for me to use 1 satellite with ethernet and the other with wifi?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 9 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting up 1 satellite first via wifi, then connect the ethernet cable and give 5 minutes to let it configure the system. Check internet connection thru the satellite. If good, do same for 2nd satellite. 

How big is your home? Sq Ft? Distance between router and satellite is key. 30 ft minumum distance is a good start. 

@pm73it wrote:

So... the release notes say that with 2 or more ethernet backhaul satellites there will be issues...

I have 2 satellites, and with os 2.1.3.4 the ethernet backhaul was a pain.

So that has not been resolved.

But release notrs say tat is enaugh to wait 2-5 minute for it ti fix by itself???

Or is beter for me to use 1 satellite with ethernet and the other with wifi?

Message 10 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you do another reset after the udpate was applied? Try this then set up from scratch. 

@Wizec wrote:

What happened to me this morning was my WiFi connectivity went to heck in a hand basket. Long WiFi drops over and over again.

I decided to try a factory reset since I had never tried that since purchasing the system. Right after I did that, the Orbi app on my phone prompted me that there was an update available, so I updated from within the app. It updated my satellite and router.

It’s also possible that they have some kind of phased rollout when it comes to router update detection, say by serial number or something, and my serial number just happened to be in the pool that can detect the update from the router this morning. I have no idea if that’s a thing though.

Message 11 of 258
pm73it
Aspirant

My house is 2500 sq feet on three flor.

My orbi router is in the middle floor

1st and 3rd floors have orbi satellite.

Wifi connection is good, but i would prefer the wired one since close to each orbi unit i have a ethernet port that goes in a switch in the basement where i have a rack with a switch and internet modem.

But when i try to use ethernet backhaul is a pain.... simply does not work, i think it creates something strange with sonos that i have all wired in the same switch (i have 8 sonos components all wired in that switch and they work flawlessly)

Message 12 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

Disable the sonos while setting up the system. Backhaul is working on v2.1.3.4 and should be same on v2.1.4.10. 

@pm73it wrote:

My house is 2500 sq feet on three flor.

My orbi router is in the middle floor

1st and 3rd floors have orbi satellite.

Wifi connection is good, but i would prefer the wired one since close to each orbi unit i have a ethernet port that goes in a switch in the basement where i have a rack with a switch and internet modem.

But when i try to use ethernet backhaul is a pain.... simply does not work, i think it creates something strange with sonos that i have all wired in the same switch (i have 8 sonos components all wired in that switch and they work flawlessly)

Message 13 of 258
pm73it
Aspirant

I'll try to disable sonos... but my guess is thet when if plug it again it will be the same...

my switch is unmanaged, so it shoub be not a problem.

As of today in that switch there is sonos and sky q plugged, and both work fine

Message 14 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, unmanged is good. 

Seen others post about Sonos causing problems though. I have wired back haul working here, however I don't have any Sonos. 

Message 15 of 258
cscheiene
Star

Wiring more than one Sonos unit killed my Orbi. I don't think this is only a Orbi problem, it requires spanning tree protocol or something on the router. Only wire one Sonos unit fixed it for me
Message 16 of 258
EvolutionOX
Tutor

How about you give us the option to turn OFF AUTOUPDATE. Or STOP automatic updates all together! When you guys roll out the updates FORCED Orbi resets and looses all my settings and takes down my internet and home security system as I’m not home. That’s a fantastic feature! SO sick of this POS not working reliability.
Message 17 of 258
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

That's not normal EvolutionOX, Orbi should not forget configuration settings just because it was updated. Perhaps you have a defective unit? I agree Control over the upgrade process should be given to users. Netgear can sell their products to auto update by default, but always giving the users a choice if they wish not to do so.

I fully understand their reasons for doing  this (possible security issues in the future that clueless users will be affected by because they have no idea their router needs updating) but still give us a choice, it's just fair for those that are tech savy.

Message 18 of 258
taohat
Star

This is the exact reason I am going to return the RBK53 kit I bought from costco. Insane not to give the user the option to choose whether to do firmware update!

Orbi team, please add this option now!!!!

Message 19 of 258
OrbiMan
Luminary

Search old thread bit there are way to telnet into router and change variables so that updates won't happen. Not user friendly but it is there.
Message 20 of 258
taohat
Star

@OrbiMan wrote:
Search old thread bit there are way to telnet into router and change variables so that updates won't happen. Not user friendly but it is there.

I read a lot of old threads, seeing different outcomes. Is there a reliable method?

Message 21 of 258
m14t
Initiate

Any update on updating the VPN certificate?

vpn.png

Message 22 of 258
Eric90i
Star

Is 2.1.4 stable? I’m still on 2.1.2.18. Has anyone successfully updated through the app with rbk50 system and then not heard anyone yelling about the WiFi not working?
Message 23 of 258
Sdiver2489
Apprentice

Yeah I literally just rolled back to 2.1.2.18 because I got tired of random issues like my RainMachine losing connection after a few days. I think I might stay on this for a while. I am curious if 2.1.4 is considered a beta still? I haven’t gotten a notification for an update even if I manually check and I’m wondering if it’s because I’m not on a beta at the moment.
Message 24 of 258
Eric90i
Star

So my app shows the option to update to 2.1.4.10 currently. Usually they don’t give you the phone app update feature if the firmware is still beta, but who knows. Did you roll back from the 2.1.4.10, if so why?
Message 25 of 258
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7