Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.4 availability

Sdiver2489
Apprentice

No sorry I rolled back from 2.1.3.4. I am worried that the issues I experienced won’t be fixed because the “bug fixes” of this release are pretty darn small. I’ll wait to hear reports on this one...I hope it fixes more than the release notes lead on.
Message 26 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

If you update to v2.1.4.10 from v2.1.2, you'll need to do a factory reset and set up from scratch. There are major changes which include items in v2.1.3.4 and now v2.1.4.10 which need a good clean slate to start after installed. Others have posted that problems continued after updating to v2.1.3.4, the problems went away after doing a full factory reset and set up from scratch. I've seen this as well.

You should give this a try if you deicide to update. 

@Eric90i wrote:
Is 2.1.4 stable? I’m still on 2.1.2.18. Has anyone successfully updated through the app with rbk50 system and then not heard anyone yelling about the WiFi not working?

Message 27 of 258
PyroDog
Apprentice

So I have done some testing with this new version. Just as I have done with every past version since the packet loss issue began. Here is my testing setup for this occasion. There were a total of five devices on my network arranged as such:

• A simple router providing DHCP with no internet connection. (10.0.0.1)
  • RBR50 Orbi Router in AP mode. (10.0.0.2)
  • RBS50 Orbi Satellite. (10.0.0.3)
  • Testing laptop. (10.0.0.40)
  • Synology NAS (10.0.0.42)

All my testing was done via the testing laptop and always connected to the Orbi Sattelite. The Orbi units where running on wireless backhaul with line of sight of each other. I ran packetloss tests on three targets: simple router, Orbi Router (AP mode) and Synology NAS. Keep in mind there was no internet access during this time and no other devices where on the network. As usual, I did a full factory reset on the Orbi units. Here are my results:

10.0.0.1(RouterDHCP).png

First up is the simple router on 10.0.0.1 as we can see there is heavy packet loss, as has been with the latest firmware versions on this particular models. A notable difference is that the packet loss pattern is now concentraded in larger chunks. Previos versions would generate a more scattered pattern with thinner lines.

10.0.0.2(Satellite).png

Next is the Orbi router on 10.0.0.2 this is an interesting result because we see no packetloss at all. Keep in mind for this probe all my traffic went from the testing laptop, to the Satellite unit, through wireless backhaul and into the Orbi Router. This clears up any suspicion of the wireless backhaul being the reason of the packet loss. Could it be that my humble router (10.0.0.1), providing DHCP to the network is to blame?

10.0.0.42(NAS).png

This is the result of the same test and same network but this time the target was the Synology NAS. Surprisingly the packetloss is back with the same pattern as we observed on the router (10.0.0.1). This seems to confirm the wireless backhaul is definetly not the cause for this issue. This points to the ethernet ports of the Orbi Router as the failure point. 

The same devices on the same network arrangement rendered no packet loss on all the same tests when running firmware V2.0.0.74. This strongly suggests the issue is due to some factor in the newer firmware. Here is a short Q&A of other variants I tried before typing this post:

Did you tested with any other devices apart from that silly router (10.0.0.1) and the Synology NAS (10.0.0.42)?

Yes, practically with anything that had an ethernet port in my home. TVs, game consoles, STB, bluray player, printers, etc...The results where always the same.

Could it be that some of the ethernet ports of your Orbi units are defective?

This was one of my first concerns. So I repeted the tests by trying differnet ethernet ports for each device, each time! The only thing that actually made a difference was... firmware version!

Maybe your testing laptop has a faulty network connection?

I thought this too and repeated the same tests with two other laptops and iOS devices. The results where the same.

Did you do a full factory reset on the Orbi units? / Configured from scratch? / Updated the Satellite first and Router second?

Yep

Tried changing the position of the Orbi Router and Satellite?

I don't see how this affects anything considering the results. But, yes I did tried several locations on my house.

Maybe your ethernet cables are bad?

Incredibly, my frustration is so big at this point that I actually took the time to test CAT5, CAT5e and CAT6 cable for all tests and devices.

What is the brand and model of your _______ device?

At this point it doesn't matter since I tried with so many devices and still the only fix was rolling back to V2.0.0.74

Maybe the Orbi units are fine and the other devices are running some weird network configuration?

This is the main reason I repeated (painstakingly) the test with all kinds of devices, managed and unmanaged, old and new, etc..(see above). The results remained the same. More importantly, all packetloss patterns went away, from all tests, as soon as I reverted back to firmware 2.0.0.74 on the Orbi units.

I hope this post is of some use to someone out there on my same situation. Online gaming, VoiP calling, FaceTime Video and that kind of thing are greatly degraded when packet loss is present (specially at the massive rates I'm seeing on my Orbis). Sadly, packet loss is not so noticiable when one is accustomed to a bad ISP service. I'm lucky to be in an area with excelent providers to choose from that provide amazing service. So it is an important matter for me since I work from home.

Message 28 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

If you update to v2.1.4.10 from v2.1.2, you'll need to do a factory reset and set up from scratch. There are major changes which include items in v2.1.3.4 and now v2.1.4.10 which need a good clean slate to start after installed. Others have posted that problems continued after updating to v2.1.3.4, the problems went away after doing a full factory reset and set up from scratch. I've seen this as well.

@Sdiver2489 wrote:
Yeah I literally just rolled back to 2.1.2.18 because I got tired of random issues like my RainMachine losing connection after a few days. I think I might stay on this for a while. I am curious if 2.1.4 is considered a beta still? I haven’t gotten a notification for an update even if I manually check and I’m wondering if it’s because I’m not on a beta at the moment.

Message 29 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

Im not seen bad packet lost with my system:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/m-p/1547562/highlight/true#M27733

Your sysetm maybe intro'g interferences. 

Message 30 of 258
PyroDog
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/m-p/1547562/highlight/true#M27733

It seems you are using a different Orbi model from mine? I guess that at least we know your model is free from this issue.

Message 31 of 258
JMU1998
Luminary

After updating to latest firmware 2.1.4 has anyone tried logging in to the satellite?  Mine says "

Move your Orbi satellite closer to your Orbi router to improve the connection"

why do I get this message the main unit RBR50 shows "wired" for sattalite ?? I am confused why do I need to move the satellite if I am using wired backhaul ? YES I factory reset BOTH several times and nvram erase on both same message ! Never saw this on 2.1.3.4 is this a bug? Can someone confirm by checking logging into sattalite ? My Orbi is in AP mode, googlefiber gigabit speed.

Message 32 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

Same code base...

40 Series system. 

Test was live and online with ISP modem and services and home networking all running.

You may have bad configuration, HW or test confiuration. 

@PyroDog wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

It seems you are using a different Orbi model from mine? I guess that at least we know your model is free from this issue.

Message 33 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? Try a different browser? IE11, FF or Opera? 

Which did you update first? Satellite is recommended first then the router. Then factory reset both and set up from scatch. 

Set up the satellite first on wifi and get it added. Then connect the LAN cable to the satellite for wired back haul and give it 5 minutes to re-configure. Seen it where the routers UI doesn't fully update quickly. You might give it say 15-30 minutes to settle in then check the status. 

When the satellite is wireless connected, what is the distance between the router and satellite? 

Any network switches in between the router and satellite? 

@JMU1998 wrote:

After updating to latest firmware 2.1.4 has anyone tried logging in to the satellite?  Mine says "

Move your Orbi satellite closer to your Orbi router to improve the connection"

why do I get this message the main unit RBR50 shows "wired" for sattalite ?? I am confused why do I need to move the satellite if I am using wired backhaul ? YES I factory reset BOTH several times and nvram erase on both same message ! Never saw this on 2.1.3.4 is this a bug? Can someone confirm by checking logging into sattalite ? My Orbi is in AP mode, googlefiber gigabit speed.

Message 34 of 258
Mikey94025
Hero

I upgraded my Orbi + 3 satellites to V2.1.4.10 using the web browser (Update All) and everything worked smoothly.  fast.com reports 250 Mbps which is as fast as it has been with previous firmware versions.  However, I was also one of the lucky ones with no issues with previous Orbi firmware versions and my 55 connected devices.

Message 35 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

Nice to hear. Hope it works well for you. Hope you don't need to factory reset either. 

Enjoy. 

@Mikey94025 wrote:

I upgraded my Orbi + 3 satellites to V2.1.4.10 using the web browser (Update All) and everything worked smoothly.  fast.com reports 250 Mbps which is as fast as it has been with previous firmware versions.  However, I was also one of the lucky ones with no issues with previous Orbi firmware versions and my 55 connected devices.

Message 36 of 258
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

Upgraded succesfully here, no issues at all so far, pretty stable.

Message 37 of 258
EvolutionOX
Tutor

Can someone please explain or link to the instructions on how to reset the NVram via telnet on the Orbi?
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 38 of 258
OrbiMan
Luminary

Pyro what is that software? Is it just a simple continuous ping with gui interface?
Message 39 of 258
BobDuke
Apprentice

The Orbi app offered to update my system this morning.  Good way to do it. 

The update went smoothly, as have all past updates since I installed in December.  I needed to restart the Orbi app to refresh it's data. 

I have not needed to do a factory refresh.  My configuration had always been transferred automatically through each update.   I don't remember all the version numbers,  but I started in 1... to 2.0.. to 2.0.?.18 to 2.1.3.4 to 2.1.4.10.

All working well so far. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 40 of 258
tsig
Luminary

Update mine via the app last night.  Very disppointing.  No drama at all.  After about 5 minutes or so everything was working as normal with no issues at all.

Message 41 of 258
PyroDog
Apprentice

@OrbiMan wrote:
Pyro what is that software? Is it just a simple continuous ping with gui interface?

This is the software I'm using for my tests:

http://www.pingplotter.com/products/free.html

Message 42 of 258
usahale
Star

HomeKit still broken.

Back to 2.1.2.18.

Your next update should really include the 'no update' option. 🙂

30-40 minutes of my time to roll back every time is getting tiresome.

Message 43 of 258
Sdiver2489
Apprentice

I updated because the interface offered it to me. It went smoothly so far. I'll see if the Rainmachine issues continue or other weird random issues. 

Message 44 of 258
RJD
Star
Star

When I updated my RBK50 (both router and satellite) to 2.1.3.4 I reset everything but still had issues with the satellite. When the RBW30 2.1.3.6 firmware was released I updated those, reset and added to the RBK50 router and was goind relatively well. A few drops here and there but nothing major.

I then updated the router to 2.1.4.10 via the web gui upgrade and both RBW30's now drop in and out a lot so have turned them off until a 2.1.4.x update is available for those. I am not resetting everything again as have had enough of doing that and as per various comments updating from 2.1.3.4 to 2.1.4.10 via an upgrade instead of using BETA software shouldn't require a full reset again.

I tested again with the RBK50 satellite (RBS50), updated, reset it and connected but as I noticed before bugger all devices will connect to it and continue to connect to the router so have just swtiched that off as no point wasting electric.

will await RBW30 firmware before testing those again.

Message 45 of 258
tagteam
Virtuoso

@Bubbd wrote:

Updated this morning,  no reset.  Very disappointing.  No drama at all.  After about 5 minutes or so everything was working as normal with no issues at all.

Ditto

Message 46 of 258
Frank_H
Guide

I update three bases and 3 satilittes yesterday. Upgrade was a smotth as silk.

Message 47 of 258
kc5grw
Initiate

As so many others have stated THERE NEEDS TO BE A NO UPDATE OPTION AVAILABLE!!!! I saw the update last night and installed it. It worked for a few minutes then I lost connectivity completely. My ORBI router sits in my office at the front of the house where my modem is. One satellite in my master bedroom closet connected wirelessly. The second satellite connected via ethernet backhaul upstairs at the back of my house. The system was stable under 2.1.2.18. I rolled back to 2.1.2.18 after 2.1.4 hosed everything. All was back to normal. Then I wake this morning to find that 2.1.4.10 was installed again on the system and again loss of connectivity. Rolled back to 2.1.2.18 again this morning and will have to check again at lunch if it has gone to 2.1.4.10 again. I haven't tried factory resetting it all yet. I guess I have to see if that works. 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 48 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

You can use iPerf3 as well which is more accurate and is what router Mfr use in there testing...

This elimicated the need of additional testing HW. You want the most accurate test configuration to get the most accurate results. Having additonal test HW can cause false or bad results. Just two PCs with Gb adapters is all thats needed. Can use a Gb non managed switch were needed. 

@OrbiMan wrote:

Message 49 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad the update went smoothly and you haven't had to factory reset. Some haven't had any problems during or after updates. Thats good as well. Factory reset is recommended if you do encounter problems. 

Enjoy. 

@BobDuke wrote:

The Orbi app offered to update my system this morning.  Good way to do it. 

The update went smoothly, as have all past updates since I installed in December.  I needed to restart the Orbi app to refresh it's data. 

I have not needed to do a factory refresh.  My configuration had always been transferred automatically through each update.   I don't remember all the version numbers,  but I started in 1... to 2.0.. to 2.0.?.18 to 2.1.3.4 to 2.1.4.10.

All working well so far. 

Message 50 of 258
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7