Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.4 availability

FURRYe38
Guru

When coming from older v2.1.x.x FW there are some major changes when loading v2.1.4.10. So please do a full factory reset on the router and satellites then set up from scratch. Should see better results. Others have mentioned this as well. 

@kc5grw wrote:

As so many others have stated THERE NEEDS TO BE A NO UPDATE OPTION AVAILABLE!!!! I saw the update last night and installed it. It worked for a few minutes then I lost connectivity completely. My ORBI router sits in my office at the front of the house where my modem is. One satellite in my master bedroom closet connected wirelessly. The second satellite connected via ethernet backhaul upstairs at the back of my house. The system was stable under 2.1.2.18. I rolled back to 2.1.2.18 after 2.1.4 hosed everything. All was back to normal. Then I wake this morning to find that 2.1.4.10 was installed again on the system and again loss of connectivity. Rolled back to 2.1.2.18 again this morning and will have to check again at lunch if it has gone to 2.1.4.10 again. I haven't tried factory resetting it all yet. I guess I have to see if that works. 

Message 51 of 258
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

When coming from older v2.1.x.x FW there are some major changes when loading v2.1.4.10. So please do a full factory reset on the router and satellites then set up from scratch. Should see better results. Others have mentioned this as well. 

@kc5grw wrote:

As so many others have stated THERE NEEDS TO BE A NO UPDATE OPTION AVAILABLE!!!! I saw the update last night and installed it. It worked for a few minutes then I lost connectivity completely. My ORBI router sits in my office at the front of the house where my modem is. One satellite in my master bedroom closet connected wirelessly. The second satellite connected via ethernet backhaul upstairs at the back of my house. The system was stable under 2.1.2.18. I rolled back to 2.1.2.18 after 2.1.4 hosed everything. All was back to normal. Then I wake this morning to find that 2.1.4.10 was installed again on the system and again loss of connectivity. Rolled back to 2.1.2.18 again this morning and will have to check again at lunch if it has gone to 2.1.4.10 again. I haven't tried factory resetting it all yet. I guess I have to see if that works. 

The idea of recommending/forcing people to perform a factory reset is bogus.  IMHO this would appear to be an easy fix that could be applied with each update and FW install tool, much like a web browser clears its cache.  Many folks have personal settings, passwords, etc that require time to reload if a factory reset is perfomed.  Don't make it harder than it needs to be.

Message 52 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume thats NG desired/intended design. However when users are still continuing to see problems after FW updates, resets is a valid troubleshooting step to take. Again, users have expressed having better results after doing a factory reset and set up from scratch. Others have recently just posted that they have not and are not experiencing problems as well. This is fine and works for them. Others, not so much so lets reset and try this last resort step. Again, I've explained this to you many times. 

Thanks. 

@Retired_Member wrote:

The idea of recommending/forcing people to perform a factory reset is bogus.  IMHO this would appear to be an easy fix that could be applied with each update and FW install tool, much like a web browser clears its cache.  Many folks have personal settings, passwords, etc that require time to reload if a factory reset is perfomed.  Don't make it harder than it needs to be.

Message 53 of 258
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

....................................Again, I've explained this to you many times. 

Thanks. 

@Retired_Member wrote:

The idea of recommending/forcing people to perform a factory reset is bogus.  IMHO this would appear to be an easy fix that could be applied with each update and FW install tool, much like a web browser clears its cache.  Many folks have personal settings, passwords, etc that require time to reload if a factory reset is perfomed.  Don't make it harder than it needs to be

Thanks…but no thanks

My post was more of a ‘I thought this was being addressed as a FW bug’, for I’m almost certain it was mentioned in previous post and not by me. Just because it may work for a few, doesn't make it the end all fix.  Furthermore, my post or opinion was not directed to you although the quote did get pulled in, in as much it was to be considered a part of the open discussion.  Unless you’re driving the NG ship, I am in no need of any explanation from you.

Message 54 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

Of course, to each his own. 

Good Luck. 

Message 55 of 258
DanimalC
Tutor

I have been plagued with Wi-Fi dropping for months now. So two days I ago I decided to manually upgrade my RBR50 and RBS50 sattelite to v2.1.3.4 and everything was working good!  Then last night I lost internet connection twice. I logged into the webUI and noticed that they both updated automatically to v2.1.4.10 without my knowledge or input (of course the day after I finally got them working well). My RBW30 updated to 2.1.3.6 automatically as well. Each time a reboot of the router fixed the internet issue. This morning when I woke up I didnt have internet over Wi-Fi again, a reboot fixed the issue again. I tried downgrading my router to 2.1.3.4 but it was unsuccessful. Tonight I will try factory resetting everything and seeing if that helps. I just wish I had the option to install the update and that these firmware upgrades worked better. 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 56 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if doing a factory reset after applying v2.1.4.10 and set up from scratch helps. .

@DanimalC wrote:

I have been plagued with Wi-Fi dropping for months now. So two days I ago I decided to manually upgrade my RBR50 and RBS50 sattelite to v2.1.3.4 and everything was working good!  Then last night I lost internet connection twice. I logged into the webUI and noticed that they both updated automatically to v2.1.4.10 without my knowledge or input (of course the day after I finally got them working well). My RBW30 updated to 2.1.3.6 automatically as well. Each time a reboot of the router fixed the internet issue. This morning when I woke up I didnt have internet over Wi-Fi again, a reboot fixed the issue again. I tried downgrading my router to 2.1.3.4 but it was unsuccessful. Tonight I will try factory resetting everything and seeing if that helps. I just wish I had the option to install the update and that these firmware upgrades worked better. 

Message 57 of 258
Planetom
Star

Betreff: OrbiOS 2.1.4 availability

New version 2.1.4.10 auto-installed while I was away. No paper clip reset done after this update.

I wait and see what happens thus let you know.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 58 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

Betreff: OrbiOS 2.1.4 availability

Hope it works well for you. 

@Planetom wrote:

New version 2.1.4.10 auto-installed while I was away. No paper clip reset done after this update.

I wait and see what happens thus let you know.

Message 59 of 258
erikrubin
Aspirant

Is there a preferred or recommended procedure for performing a factory reset? I have a system with 2 satellites. After upgrading to 2.1.4, I get extensive and long duration dropouts on my Nest Outdoor cam.
Message 60 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

I would hit the reset button on the back of each Satellite for 15 seconds until you see the top LED glow yellowish color. Then let go. Then top LED should start to blink white. then slowly blink white tell you it's ready to be added. You can reset the router using it's web page UI under Advanced Settings/Backup or use same button in back looking for the top yellowish LED then let go. 

Set up the router first, then add on satellite via wireless. Ensure you see the top LED turn BLUE then add the 2nd Satellite using same add process. 

You might try setting maual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz instad of AUTO.

You might disable MIMO, Daisy chain and Fast Roaming as awell on the router to test. 

@erikrubin wrote:
Is there a preferred or recommended procedure for performing a factory reset? I have a system with 2 satellites. After upgrading to 2.1.4, I get extensive and long duration dropouts on my Nest Outdoor cam.

Message 61 of 258
eljarviso
Luminary

Has homekit/mDNS broadcast been fixed in this release?

Message 62 of 258
acrawford72
Guide

Have had a STABLE connection 6 WEEKS ON 2.0.1.4!!!  Now the udate to 2.1.4.10 has screwed that all up. Router resets every 15 to 60 minutes. Both router and sateltie are on 2.1.4.10 and both have been factory reset. Still resets keep happening. Going to reset to 2.0.1.4 again. If this keps happening will be getting rid of Netgear product and going else where. This has been going on for far to long.

Message 63 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the Mfr and model of the ISP modem that the Orbi router is connected too? 

Any wireless neighbors near by? If so, how many

What channels are you using? Try manual instead of Auto. 

Fw update should try a full factory reset on all units then set up from scratch.

What is the distance between the router and satellite? 30feet minimum to start. 

Whats the size if your home? SqFt.

@acrawford72 wrote:

Have had a STABLE connection 6 WEEKS ON 2.0.1.4!!!  Now the udate to 2.1.4.10 has screwed that all up. Router resets every 15 to 60 minutes. Both router and sateltie are on 2.1.4.10 and both have been factory reset. Still resets keep happening. Going to reset to 2.0.1.4 again. If this keps happening will be getting rid of Netgear product and going else where. This has been going on for far to long.

Message 64 of 258
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Got the  2.1.4 update through the web GUI.  Took just a few minutes and all appears to be in order.  No factory reset.  Wish me well.

May the force be with us all...............

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 65 of 258
WAP
Apprentice
Apprentice

I too was for weeks on v2.1.3.4 with zero issues.  Then during the day yesterday I lost internet connection. I logged into the webUI and noticed that only two of my three satellites got upgraded to v2.1.4.10.  The lone satellite that was on 2.1.3.4 effectively brought down my whole network.  NETGEAR STOP AUTO UPDATES...I was planning on updating myself on the weekend but the autoupdate FORCED me to do a whole ORBI reset after what was already a long day at work.  To be safe I reset the router and all 3 satellites and hopefully my system will be stable for awhile (until the next auto update).

GIVE ME A GUI CHECKBOX TO TURN OFF AUTO UPDATES.

Message 66 of 258
Eric90i
Star

Performed the update via the phone app. Went smoothly, no factory reset needed. Things have been running as expected to my knowledge for about 12 hours now.

One side comment, I have never seen my Orbi auto update since I’ve had it. I’ve always either updated when I want or waited for another release.
Message 67 of 258
loomis1975
Luminary

I'm not sure why they are releasing firmware update option via the App and Web UI when upgrade firmware isn't available for ALL devices.  You really shouldn't update with only partial firmware available.  Updating the router and one satellite (RBR50 and RBS50) and then leaving the RBS50Y and a RBS40 for instance on older firmware is just a recipe for disconnects and frustration.

Message 68 of 258
bentwookie
Guide

I followed the instructions here and my Orbi's have not auto-updated to 2.1.4. After months of non-stop issues, my base and satellites are mostly working now. I'll never take another update if I can prevent it. Netgear has proven they don't have the discipline to push firmware automatically. 

Message 69 of 258
usahale
Star

PoC system auto-updated at 3am, stopping all speakers in the house that we use for white noise.  i now have most of the family awake in the middle of the night for only one reason, bad software. Give us an option to control WHEN WE UPDATE. 

Message 70 of 258
Yamamoto
Star

After being forced to auto update to 2.1.4.1 the Orbi has been absolutely terrible. Websites intermittent loading, poor performance satellites losing connection., etc.  Ths firmware is unusable.   I was on 2.1.3.4 with no problem. I have spent about 3 hours on the phone with tech support and here is where I stand. 

Tech support told told me not to plug in one satellite for fear it might be creating interference. Don’t use Ethernet backhaul. And currently I can download 170mbs if my computer is hardwired into the router, but wireless speed is 20mbs download when the device is 10feet from router (connected to router, not satellite). With no physical object blocking signal. 

System ran fine in 2.1.3.4,  now it’s terrible. Worst thing is the auto firmware update. I can do a thing about it. 

Unbelievible. I think I will have to return it to Costco. My family and myself are losing our minds. 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 71 of 258
Squeaky369
Guide

When I wake up at 5 AM in the morning and my cameras are down, alarm is down, my phone isn't working right because it's connected to wireless that isn't actually going anywhere is not acceptable.

I'm soooooo glad that there people that don't have issues with these updates. But for the people that do, asking them to do factory resets is insulting. And it's beyond irresponsible for Netgear to release a firmware that would require people to do that and/or soft brick their PREMIUM product that people paid well over $400 for.

I just now got my system up and running, and it's taken me almost 5 hours. Setting everything back up after a firmware update is the dumbest thing that I've ever heard of. I have my CCNA, N+ and I'm MSCE in Windows Server and have my Masters Degree in Networking, and am the senior networking administrator at a company of over 50,000 employees - and it took me 5 hours to figure this mess out and get it working. What does that mean for your average home user that bought the unit because the guy at Best Buy said "its awesome!"? This is not the way a product should be handled, and not the way updates should be handled. And Netgear owes people an apologize for it. Will we ever get one, no. We'll get another firmware update that causes us to do this all over again.

If I was not past my return policy, I'd return this steaming pile of horse manure back to the depths from which it came. Because that's all it is, a pathetic excuse for a piece of networking equipment, being sold as a premium.

And before you go and say, "Well, that's a valid troubleshooting step..." No, it's not. factory resetting your equipment is not a valid troubleshooting step. It's the LAST step, not the first. If you firmware releases require factory reset, then you're not doing your job right. If these were used in enterprise environments, and they pushed out firmware's like this - they wouldn't be in business long. Which is why after the first time I had this happen with this crap product, we ripped all the Netgear branded routers and switches out of our company and replaced them. If this is how Netgear is going to treat consumers, then they don't deserve our companies business either.

My "SETUP" - AT&T GIGAPOWER (1000 Mbps / 1000 Mbps) > Netgear Orbi POS RBR50 w/1 RBS50 with public static IP assigned - Latest firmware - 2.1.3.4 before #brickgate.

Message 72 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

"You can lead a horse to water, can't make it drink"

Good Luck in your endeavours. 

@Squeaky369 wrote:

When I wake up at 5 AM in the morning and my cameras are down, alarm is down, my phone isn't working right because it's connected to wireless that isn't actually going anywhere is not acceptable.

I'm soooooo glad that there people that don't have issues with these updates. But for the people that do, asking them to do factory resets is insulting. And it's beyond irresponsible for Netgear to release a firmware that would require people to do that and/or soft brick their PREMIUM product that people paid well over $400 for.

I just now got my system up and running, and it's taken me almost 5 hours. Setting everything back up after a firmware update is the dumbest thing that I've ever heard of. I have my CCNA, N+ and I'm MSCE in Windows Server and have my Masters Degree in Networking, and am the senior networking administrator at a company of over 50,000 employees - and it took me 5 hours to figure this mess out and get it working. What does that mean for your average home user that bought the unit because the guy at Best Buy said "its awesome!"? This is not the way a product should be handled, and not the way updates should be handled. And Netgear owes people an apologize for it. Will we ever get one, no. We'll get another firmware update that causes us to do this all over again.

If I was not past my return policy, I'd return this steaming pile of horse manure back to the depths from which it came. Because that's all it is, a pathetic excuse for a piece of networking equipment, being sold as a premium.

And before you go and say, "Well, that's a valid troubleshooting step..." No, it's not. factory resetting your equipment is not a valid troubleshooting step. It's the LAST step, not the first. If you firmware releases require factory reset, then you're not doing your job right. If these were used in enterprise environments, and they pushed out firmware's like this - they wouldn't be in business long. Which is why after the first time I had this happen with this crap product, we ripped all the Netgear branded routers and switches out of our company and replaced them. If this is how Netgear is going to treat consumers, then they don't deserve our companies business either.

My "SETUP" - AT&T GIGAPOWER (1000 Mbps / 1000 Mbps) > Netgear Orbi POS RBR50 w/1 RBS50 with public static IP assigned - Latest firmware - 2.1.3.4 before #brickgate.

Message 73 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the Orbi is connected too? 

Please try a factory reset on the router and satellite and set up from scratch and let us know if this changes anything.

@Yamamoto wrote:

After being forced to auto update to 2.1.4.1 the Orbi has been absolutely terrible. Websites intermittent loading, poor performance satellites losing connection., etc.  Ths firmware is unusable.   I was on 2.1.3.4 with no problem. I have spent about 3 hours on the phone with tech support and here is where I stand. 

Tech support told told me not to plug in one satellite for fear it might be creating interference. Don’t use Ethernet backhaul. And currently I can download 170mbs if my computer is hardwired into the router, but wireless speed is 20mbs download when the device is 10feet from router (connected to router, not satellite). With no physical object blocking signal. 

System ran fine in 2.1.3.4,  now it’s terrible. Worst thing is the auto firmware update. I can do a thing about it. 

Unbelievible. I think I will have to return it to Costco. My family and myself are losing our minds. 

Message 74 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this to disable auto update:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/The-2-1-2-18-nightmare/m-p/1490248/highlight/true#M21767

@usahale wrote:

PoC system auto-updated at 3am, stopping all speakers in the house that we use for white noise.  i now have most of the family awake in the middle of the night for only one reason, bad software. Give us an option to control WHEN WE UPDATE. 

Message 75 of 258
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7