Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.4 availability

DanimalC
Tutor

I FIXED IT! I went out and bought Google Wi-Fi. Everything is working better than it has since prior to bringing the Orbi home. This whole ordeal has left a very bad taste in my mouth as far as Netgear is concerned. Also went to the store to buy a new switch and just couldn’t bring myself to buy a Netgear one. Anyone want to buy an Orbi mesh with faulty firmware?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 101 of 258
drsg64
Guide

I think I’ll be going with google also, for the money spent on Orbi I should not have to deal with all this to get my WiFi working after a problem solving update. Mine will go in the garbage and I will never recommend this to anyone. Nice job netgear! Have the paying public do your work and trouble shoot your faulty gear and solve the problems while you just sit back and laugh.
Message 102 of 258
Basura3d
Guide

Disconnect heaven, even while trying to write this. PLEASE STOP AUTOUOPDATES THAT  UP EVERYTHING!

Message 103 of 258
timch
Luminary

My RBR50 and RBS50 both auto updated last night and are working fine with wireless backhaul.  My RBR40 is still on the previous firmware and is also operating smoothly on its Ethernet backhaul.  So no problems.  I however like others am uncomfortable about auto updates.  My network servers run backup and maintenance routines overnight and I would prefer to pick one night a week when I could update firmware etc and not do the backup to avoid any possibility of corruption.  It’s what I do with my Synology servers and that works fine.

Of course, having said that, I am probably being over cautious as I have never had any problems that I could attribute to this.

Message 104 of 258
mastervisa30
Luminary

Yes Netgear PLEASE STOP AUTOUOPDATES .

Let's us decide  if we want to update,stop auto updates and we can use firmware thats working,let us decide if we wwant to update

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 105 of 258
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@mastervisa30 wrote:

Let's us decide  if we want to update,stop auto updates and we can use firmware thats working,let us decide if we wwant to update

IF NG were to do this, what would be your criteria for deciding when you upgrade?

Message 106 of 258
Roamabout
Luminary

I applied the 2.1.4.10 update yesterday morning. Two satellites and router. No issues with the update, no issues with the Orbi before or after the update. At the time I did the update the Orbi was showing 31 days of uptime, basically since I did the last update of the released 2.1.3. I have never done a reset on this system, I do reboot the router once all the systems have been updated.

Message 107 of 258
tsig
Luminary

@drsg64

I'll gladely pay you to ship your system to me.

Message 108 of 258
loomis1975
Luminary

I'm not upgrading to 2.1.4.10 (voluntarily) till its available for at least 3 of my 4 devices.

And since 2.1.3.4 just dropped today for RBS50Y, I think I'll be waiting for a bit.

BTW I've never had the autoupdate initiated for me, I always have had to kick it off with the "update all" button.

I obviously don't doubt that the autoupdate is really just autoupdating for most people, but never been the case here.

I have initial launch units of the RBR50/RBS50 from August 2016, a launch RBS40, and a launch RBS50Y currently in use.

Message 109 of 258
Kolja
Initiate

Thanks for the update. My system seems to work great although I did not have major grievances to begin with. I am using my RBK50 system with one satellite wirelessly. 

Message 110 of 258
drsg64
Guide

I finaly got it to work last night at about 0330 so it has earned itself a stay of execution for now. Factory reset, unplug all of it and install again like when out of the box. Up and running for the last 6 hours with the update.

Message 111 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

Hope it keeps working for you. Let us know if you see anything else. 

@drsg64 wrote:

I finaly got it to work last night at about 0330 so it has earned itself a stay of execution for now. Factory reset, unplug all of it and install again like when out of the box. Up and running for the last 6 hours with the update.

Message 112 of 258
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@Retired_Member wrote:

@mastervisa30 wrote:

IF NG were to do this, what would be your criteria for deciding when you upgrade?

Coming on this forum and the SNB forum and observing whether early adopters have issues!

I do this with as many items of software & firmware that I can. I remain on Windows 7 in part to avoid forced updates. Recently, Quicken started pushing unsolicited updates and it’s quite annoying.

Message 113 of 258
alphanu22
Aspirant

Updated via the app on Monday. All is great since.

Message 114 of 258
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@RocketSquirrel wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

@mastervisa30 wrote:

Coming on this forum and the SNB forum and observing whether early adopters have issues!

I do this with as many items of software & firmware that I can. I remain on Windows 7 in part to avoid forced updates. Recently, Quicken started pushing unsolicited updates and it’s quite annoying.

that'll work.....NOT.....there is no way to be sure of those having problems, their network and devices are identical to yours.  I've seen some many home network setups on here it makes my head swim.  Good luck.

Message 115 of 258
sbeares1210
Guide

For Sonos only hardwire one of them. Let it use the sonos network for the sonos, works much better. When you hard wire all sonos features it limits functionality as well. Found all this out figuring wiring all of them was best, but then I tried to setup surround sound for tv and after lots of sonos forums found out best to use sonos network. 

Message 116 of 258
Acerun
Guide

Apparently this is not very popular but I have never experienced these kind of speeds that I am experiencing now… This latest update has radically optimized my system… I’m sorry everyone has trouble but my system is the best it has ever been… By far
Message 117 of 258
darkstar939
Tutor

Thank god for Best Buys 2 year warranty.  I am taking these pieces of crap back.  I have had these Orbi RBR/S 50's for almost a year now and Netgear has yet to release a stable firmware.  What a F'ing joke and waste of $450.  Buying Meraki AP's, will never buy another piece of Netgear Sh1t again.

Message 118 of 258
budy
Luminary

Just updated my RBK40 via the iOS app - it has been a no-thrills experience, as it had been with all other updates, my RBK40 has been through. I am seriuosly thinking, that there must be something going on on the networks, where these Orbis have issues.

This is not to blame anyone of anything and I do think, that NG should be able to address that, but my take on this is… if you haven't experienced these issues with your Orbi, you likely won't, unless something on your network changes dramatically - e.g. getting onto an IPv6 network or  where there are multicasts or spanning tree issues involved. Multicast seems to play havoc with mDNS  and STP can mess with the mesh setup of your Orbis, resp. their bridges.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 119 of 258
RJD
Star
Star

So after over a year of messing about and the past few months of reading all the forums and testing all the firmware releases i have had enough. I now had redundant RBK50 and 2 x RBW30’s costing well over £500 in total let alone the amont of time i have wasted. I pick up my reluctant purchase of Google Wifi today so will report back in a week to let you know my experiences.

The RBR50 on its own works well but only if i split the 5G and 2.4G bands via telnet which used to be an option back on early firmware but for final testing i put it back to single SSID and then stability and connection issues rose again. Turning on any satellte then added more problems with stuff dropping even though showng as connected to a satellite all showing a good 5g backhaul.

Such a shame and for those having good experiences then lucky you. I dont give up on much but after 16 months of hassle enough is enough. Netgear already have my money so it wont phase them as i have no return option.

If Google Wifi causes me similar issues then will continue the pain with the Orbi but if not then a small bonfire may be lit to melt down the most annoying computer related hardware i have ever owned!!!!!!
Message 120 of 258
Nest68
Aspirant

Hello budy, did you update to 2.1.4.10?
Message 121 of 258
RJD
Star
Star

Yep, had tried this version too and still annoyingly unstable
Message 122 of 258
budy
Luminary

@Nest68 wrote:
Hello budy, did you update to 2.1.4.10?

Yes, from 2.1.3.6 to 2.1.4.10.

Message 123 of 258
Nest68
Aspirant

Is it possible to get a link for the rbr40 2.1.4.10 for manualy update of the 40 series ?
Message 124 of 258
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Overnight auto update. One satillite did not connect. Synced and reconnected. One device dropped to 2.4GHz. Rebooted the device and reconnected at 5.0GHz. Speeds and signal strength so far read the same or a touch less. Need to continue to check during the day. I was running fine on 2.1.2.18. I hope this update helps those who were having issues, but I also hope that we can get a stable platform for all that is not being constantly tweaked and then necessitating effort on the part of Orbi customers to bring their systems back up to operating order after each update. 

Message 125 of 258
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7