Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.4 availability

morrisseysb
Apprentice

I would also like to put my vote in for the ability to turn OFF AUTO UPDATES.  

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 176 of 258
mastervisa30
Luminary

Yes netgear please turn off autoupdate,and make this and option to turn off and on autoupdate.

so if there is problem in the future we can use older firmware thats working.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 177 of 258
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The problem with turning off the auto-update is you are now sitting on the sidelines.  Then you have to figure when to jump back in and upgrade your FW and how will you determine that?  By reading the posts in here...?  Really?

Many of the problems the Orbi has been having can be traced to product diversity.  Trying to be all things to all consumers.  If FW updates scare you, then perhaps you should try a lower cost basic wifi router.

Message 178 of 258
RJD
Star
Star

I would gladly like a refund for this rubbish but alas I stuck with it for 16 months. If the firmware was stable and actually worked and didn’t end up making things worse or consistently require resetting everything to then find it still doesn’t work as it should then would be happy with the forced auto updates and the forced single SSID (early firmware allowed a split of 2.4/5G SSID) which was so much better but Netgear removes this and added forced firmware updates which are not stable and do not work (yes yes some people don’t have issues, lucky them). Still not a week yet with Google Wifi but not a single drop or issue with anything. After 2 days or less with Orbi after resets etc etc the issues start again. Just the RBR on its own works well (especially with split SSID’s) but add satellites and boom, total trash at a premium price.
Message 179 of 258

I've actually been on Eeero's support boards to make sure I'm not jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. Like any product, there are people there with problems, but no, there aren't multiple 150+ post threads there calling for the Product Manager's head. In fact, the largest thread I found was this one, and it's mostly people crapping on their old Orbis.

https://community.eero.com/t/18zvhb/to-current-eero-owners-how-did-you-get-here-what-competing-produ...

Selection bias is a thing. Product satisfaction is relative, and Netgear's past performance with respect to firmware is relatively worse. In my experience, much worse.

Message 180 of 258

@Retired_Member wrote:

The problem with turning off the auto-update is you are now sitting on the sidelines.  Then you have to figure when to jump back in and upgrade your FW and how will you determine that?  By reading the posts in here...?  Really?

Many of the problems the Orbi has been having can be traced to product diversity.  Trying to be all things to all consumers.  If FW updates scare you, then perhaps you should try a lower cost basic wifi router.

Firmware updates shouldn't scare you at any price...that's kinda the point of the frustration here.

I have products that auto-update themselves and don't then immediately ruin the sheets. If Netgear showed that level of discipline, I'd be inclined to agree that it's better to keep a complicated (security sensitive) device as up-to-date as possible, but they aren't that careful. 2.1.4.10 apparently has known issues with HomeKit and ethernet backhaul, but they sent it to my setup anyway and screwed it all up. Again.

Until Netgear gets their QA processes in order, automatic updates are irresponsible. And I agree, I don't think the customer should have to weed through a sea of other angry customers, trying to intuit how broken multicast is this release, but that's the position Netgear has put them in.

And I'll never understand the willingness of some in this forum to give Netgear a pass for the current state of things. Even compared to other products, it's not deserved. 

Message 181 of 258
Yanic
Initiate

Amazon let us return it after having had it for 8 months, i've had enough of crashing firmware. Going to buy a google wifi pair and see if that can run for 4 hours without crashing. I would give Netgear the benefit of the doubt on this one but this is probably the 4th firmware update this year that has caused problems regarding flaky crashes and so on. 

Dare I even talk about the disabled features that this router was meant to have unlocked in a future firmware update? 

I will admit, during these 8 months there have been occasions when the router / satellite worked without fault... for a while anyway. However they NEVER worked 100% as intended. I can't remember one auto-firmware update that I didnt have to apply manually. The light ring on the top never truly gave a clear indication of the status of the satellite and if or not it was coming up (had to press the hard reset over and over again around about during the firmware issues with Android smartphones and chromecasts sending the spam) 

Either way, i'm out. Really annoyed I trusted any of the "PC" sites that reccomend routers without a long term usability test. I guess this is too hard to offer. 

Oh, and I remember when I was within the 3 months complimentary Netgear support period for full support... you know, apple style... I tried to use it.. utter garbage. I dont even remember being able to get through to a customer representive who knew what Orbi was.

After 183 posts on this firmware, where is the "we are aware that some of you are having issues with this... we are doing, a, b, c to remedy" just silence 😞

I am sure Netgear are brewing up "the next" Orbi 2... now with extended range! for £500+ ... and all of us whom bought in to their Mk1 Mesh router will be forgotten as the beta test pilots that we are. 😞

Message 182 of 258
acrawford72
Guide

As I said Full Factory reset was DONE. I have an Arris TM1602 provided by my carrier. My house is approx 2400Sqft.  The units are approx 25 ft apart. BUT NONE OF THAT SHOULD MATTER!!! The ONLY thing that changed in the past 6 weeks is the FW!!! everything else is EXACTLY where it has been and had a STABLE connection for 6 SOLID WEEKS!!!! I am not a tech guru by any means, but common sense dictates where the issue is without a doubt.

Message 183 of 258
ZoneMaster
Apprentice

Correction: I have been running the 2.1.4.10 firmware since last week. Network scan via "Net Analyser" iOS app showed NO Bonjour flags present

I have performed the following additional toubleshooting from my iMac (which is faily distant from my Comcast/ORBI gateways):

1. Connect ONLY via my Comcast Wifi Modem:
    1. Powered off ALL ORBI units:
    2. Turned on WiFi on my Comcast Router
    3. Logged in to my Comcast WiFi
    4. Weak signal & slow upload/download speeds
    5. mDNS/Bonjour/AirPrint was rock solid
    6. Network scan via "Net Analyser" iOS app shows Bonjour flags are present
  2. Connect ONLY via ORBI RBK53:
    1. Turned off WiFi on my Comcast Router
    2. Powered on ORBI RBR50 Router
      1. Logged into ORBI WiFi 
      2. Better signal & faster (but not max) upload/download speeds
      3. mDNS/Bonjour/AirPrint working. Network scan via "Net Analyser" iOS app shows:
        1. macOS & iOS seem to reliantly report Bonjour as present
        2. AirPrint printers (HP & Brother) sometimes don't report Bonjour as present
      4. Waited
    3. Powered on ORBI RBS50 Satelite closest to my iMac
      1. Max signal & max upload/download speeds
      2. mDNS/Bonjour/AirPrint working
      3. Waited
    4. Powered on final ORBI RBS50 Satelite
      1. Everything working
      2. Waited

While mDNS/Bonjour/AirPrint is still sometimes glitchy. It is working under the 2.1.4.10 firmware after starting the router & satellites in slow sequence.

Message 184 of 258
tizmagik
Guide

This latest update is horrible. My Logitech Harmony remote constantly disconnects and reconnects. Speed test from my iPhone fluctuate as much as +/- 20Mbps where previously speeds were very consistent.

I’m extremely disappointed in this latest update.
Message 185 of 258
carrrl
Initiate

Also jumping in to say that this situation is absurd. Spent nearly $500 on this system and it's been mediocre from day one. I should have returned it while I had the chance, but I was able to get it kind of working for a couple of weeks. Then more trash updates have been forced upon me, each one worse than the last. Here I am thinking it's my ISP throttling me or something (it's not.) I've had so much luck with other Netgear products. Orbi must be a crew of interns lead by B team leads who can't get their act together. Month after month.

Message 186 of 258
JazPlayer1
Tutor

Hey Furrye38

I was rock solid on the 2.1.3.4 beta version for several weeks. I've decided to give up on ethernet backhaul since wi-fi seems to be adequate. At least for now. I must have been auto updated to 2.1.4.10 and luckily have been up for several days without even being aware of the update. I know how to turn off auto update manually, but I wish Netgear would give folks the ability to turn it off from the UI. 

JP1

Message 187 of 258
FURRYe38
Guru

Hey JP, 

Glad yours is still working. Ya, if wireless back haul is working for you then of course, you can use it.

Seems that people are beating a head horse in regards to auto update. I persume NG is aware of everyones concerns. Its up to them to do something about it. 

Good Luck. 

@JazPlayer1 wrote:

Hey Furrye38

I was rock solid on the 2.1.3.4 beta version for several weeks. I've decided to give up on ethernet backhaul since wi-fi seems to be adequate. At least for now. I must have been auto updated to 2.1.4.10 and luckily have been up for several days without even being aware of the update. I know how to turn off auto update manually, but I wish Netgear would give folks the ability to turn it off from the UI. 

JP1

Message 188 of 258
mastervisa30
Luminary

Got my new replacement rbk53 yesterday, using last firmware now,i had rbk53 before but had to send back due to one defective satelite,now im trying again latest firmware,I have open purchases for 2 months,so far its workig great,have lots of device,nest protect systems,ipads laptops,many ip camera,iphones,nvr using ip camera, my kids is gamers.

So far its verry good at my place,using one router and 2 satelittes.

I have tried some other mesh/aimesh systems,asus,velop,lyra,so far i like orbi best.

I will try 2months now and se how it goes,if i have some problems in the future,after 2months i dont have any problem sending it back to my store.workig great 2 days:)

Using all my devices the orbi is the best for me i think.

Message 189 of 258
kadmus11
Guide

This release has totally messed up my connection. Slow speeds and constant disconnects.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 190 of 258
netadmn
Apprentice

@Retired_Member wrote:

I appear to have lost my previous reply... maybe because Orbi dropped my connection. This time I'll be more brief. 😞

It is none of your business if and when I update my firmware and when I want to "jump back in". I can decide on my own what is good for me and if I need the firmware through the change logs and forums. Cutting off my connection while I'm working to update my wireless is not acceptable. You want to notify me? Put it in the APP. Make the Orbi LED flash a color/sequence depending on the severity of the fixes you want to push. I never update immediately any firmware until I've had a chance to view the change log and review the forums. If I want to be a beta tester (which I frequently do), I'll download the beta firmware on purpose like I did with 2.1.3.4. At least by then I know what I'm getting into and looking for. I'm now trying to explain to my boss that I was dropped off an important remote meeting because Netgear knew better than me and decided to update my firmware without my knowledge or approval.

Message 191 of 258
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@Retired_Member wrote:

Sitting on the sidelines is a good thing when your network is working fine. If it ain’t broke...

The biggest potential problem with auto-updates is when a power glitch occurs. Then you get bricks instead of Orbis. I choose to update firmware in the wee hours, when power demand is low.

Today I had a 10-second outage around 10:30 am, which killed my entire network even though I wasn’t updating firmware. My RBR50 router is on a UPS, but my 2 RBS50 sats are not. It took me 4 HOURS, many reboots, & finally a firmware change from 2.2.0 to 2.1.4.10 to get my system working again with wired backhaul.

So I shudder to think of an uninvited update coming through without permission.

Message 192 of 258
setham
Star

@Retired_Member wrote:

Upgrading as soon as a new version comes out it is not the approach most of the organization follow and one that can be replicated at home if you want a stable environment. Nowadays WiFi service at many homes is as demanding as it is at small companies.

If you have a stable release that works for you and you are OK with potential security risks the ultimate decision to upgrade is the user's not the manufacturer. Most of the organizations in the World are not running Windows 10, or replace all their corporate phones to have the same version of Android/iOS, actually, neither set their routers to the latest version. The majority wait until a new release is considered stable before upgrading if they upgrade at all, many just skip versions or stay at an older version for years. 

Not upgrading does not sit anyone on the sidelines, worst that can happen when you call support is that you are asked to upgrade to the latest before starting troubleshooting, this has nothing to do with a product diversity, it is not like Netgear is developing several firmware branches.

The ability to disable auto-update and being able to do manual upgrades is a basic customer choice, at personal and corporate level.

Message 193 of 258
tagteam
Virtuoso

@Retired_Member wrote:

The problem with turning off the auto-update is you are now sitting on the sidelines.  Then you have to figure when to jump back in and upgrade your FW and how will you determine that?

Personally, I would make that determination based simply upon my needs, which would be whether the upgrade contained a new feature I absolutely had to have or if the upgrade fixed a security vulnerability. Other than that, I would not upgrade unless and until I began to experience an issue or issues.

Message 194 of 258
ZoneMaster
Apprentice

In this day & age automatic updates are necessary. There are too many network threats to leave the possibility of a vulnerability being unpatched.

HOWEVER, NG MUST PERFORM VERY THOROUGH & VIGOROUS REGRESSION TESTS TO ENSURE ANY FW CHANGES DON’T IMPACT OR DEGRADE COMMON SERVICES THAT USERS RELY ON!

It does not look like NG does regression testing, when something like mDNS/Bonjour/AirPrint fails so spectacularly.
Message 195 of 258

You killed Apple HomeKit with this update! and you don't give me an option to turn off, auto firmware updates. What the hell Netgear! I am passed your dumb 90 days support policy so I can even open a ticket on something you broke! 

Message 196 of 258
Nest68
Aspirant

Is there a way to find out manufactured date of system?
Message 197 of 258
RavenFan80
Guide

Had the Orbi but finally gave in and purchased the google wifi almost 2 months ago. Zero drops, Equivalent speeds and less the price. No more “dad, the wifi isn’t working”. Very clear no brained here. Kudos Google!!

Message 198 of 258
setham
Star

@ZoneMaster wrote:
In this day & age automatic updates are necessary. There are too many network threats to leave the possibility of a vulnerability being unpatched.

I respectfully disagree, for instance, I use the Orbi as an AP, all security protection is handled by my router + pfSense. I definitely do not want an auto-upgrade. I rather do it when I feel confident that will not break my network.

Even working as a router, for a particular security update, with the correct knowledge the owner/admin can make the informed call that it does not apply to your particular configuration. I am not saying that there it should not be an auto-upgrade option, I am saying it should be optional. The decision is up to the user,

I agree that an auto-update option should/must be enabled by default but with an option of turning it off.

Message 199 of 258
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@setham wrote:

@ZoneMaster wrote:

................... I rather do it when I feel confident that will not break my network.

when you figure this out be sure to let us all know.

Message 200 of 258
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7